Firing Squad Article - $500 Upgrade

flhockeyplayer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
So I’m sure some of you more experienced builders have seen this before, but for us noobs can you provide some clarity on this issue:

I recently read an article over at firing squad (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/$500_gaming_pc_upgrade/) that basically argues that by concentrating on the right components (i.e. GPU) you can achieve FPS rates on par with upgrades costing twice as much. So with a $500 budget they design three budget upgrades (w/ stock clocks) that when pushed (e.g. COD 4 at 1920x1200x32, 4xAA, 16xAF) achieve great frames rates (~90%) compared to some more costly designs (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/$500_gaming_pc_upgrade/page5.asp).

The conclusion after COD4, UT3, and Crysis is pretty similar (here’s the one from UT3):

“At low-res, the CPU plays a bigger role in performance and thus the Core 2 Extreme and Athlon 64 X2 6000+ systems hold a sizeable advantage over the budget rigs, but as the resolution increases this advantage slowly decreases. Ultimately by 1920x1200 the budget rigs trail the high-end GeForce 8800 GTX systems by roughly 12%, and if the high-end rigs are equally outfitted with GeForce 8800 GT cards performance is essentially the same, as you’re GPU-bound at that resolution and the CPU has no impact on performance.”

This seems too good to be true. I’d like to try this, but before I sink $500 on this “experiment” can someone tell me if I’m missing the fine print? It sounds too good to be true – as long as you’re willing to accept a 10-15% drop in FPS.

The article closes by saying:

“If you are starting completely from scratch, and have to build a system from the ground up, you’d probably need to spend another $200-$300 for the OS, hard drive, case, power supply, and optical drive. While $800 is a lot of money, it’s still far from the $1,500-$2,000+ a lot of PC gaming naysayers would have you believe.”

Thanks for your help.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Well, They forgot a PSU.

There is a good chance you will need an upgraded PSU if you system is that old.

Now, Was your old system OEM? You may not be able to reinstall your OS on the new motherboard. You could try calling MS, they MAY unlock.

While a HDD is not overly critical during games, I don't see the HDD they are selecting to use in these systems. Unless it's a 3year old HDD, that will artificially skew the numbers.

However ,their general point is correct.
You don't need $1500 for a new gaming system.

But then again, nobody except them ever said you did.

However, then they laid out their test setups, they did choose not to mention the "Gotcha's" above.