• Chkdsk
  • Defragment
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Command Prompt
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 26, 2010 10:53:47 PM

Hi,
I am unable to clean up my C drive and when trying to run the defrag program I keep getting the message
"Disk defragmentor has detected that Checkdisk is due to run on the volume HP Pavillion C: run Chkdsk /f. "
However when I type that into the command box I get the message "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process" It then asks if I want to run it at next startup but this makes no difference and so groundhog day begins.
Anyone got any ideas please???

More about : chkdsk

July 26, 2010 11:33:35 PM

You dropped the ball describing what happens next. You said defrag won't run because of a pending ChkDsk operation. You also said you tried running ChkDsk from the Run program box. This may have been unnecessary. Here's the part we're missing... Did you re-start your computer? If yes, did ChkDsk run? If it did, Defrag should now work. If No, then ChkDsk is permanently scheduled (but never runs) and needs to be cleared.

July 27, 2010 9:55:27 AM

Thanks for the quick response and apologies for the lack of information, most of this is like Latin to me and I blindly do whatever the computer suggests! No, ChkDsk is not appearing to run, every time I start up though I get a message"Please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions" Don't know if that has any bearing on the problem. Also the hard drive was partitioned when I bought this and the D drive (4.58GB FAT32) defrags ok. The C drive (144GB NTFS) won't even analyse before defrag. You mentioned the ChkDsk schedule may need to be cleared, any pointers on how to go about that?
Related resources
July 27, 2010 6:05:47 PM

The Mechanic said:
I get a message"Please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions"

SFC was apparently scheduled to run at every boot-up by the command SFC /scanboot.

Click:

Start, run

Enter:
sfc /revert      (and click OK)

Restart and see if all troubles are gone.

July 27, 2010 10:39:44 PM

No luck, I've entered sfc /revert, clicked ok, and got a brief flash of a black box. Rebooted but problem still exists.
a b α HP
July 27, 2010 11:21:17 PM

start-->run-->msconfig-->on the general tab, make sure normal boot is checked-->on the boot.ini tab, make sure none of the boot option boxes are checked.
July 27, 2010 11:54:35 PM

The Mechanic said:
No luck, I've entered sfc /revert, clicked ok, and got a brief flash of a black box. Rebooted but problem still exists.

Ok, let's just kill this thing.

Click: Start>Run>regedit

Go to the following keys and look for
dfrgntfs.exe or dfrgfat.exe

HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

Click: Start>All Programs>Startup

and look for

Report back if you find anything.

Next, click Start>run   and enter
CMD.

enter this:
CHKNTFS /X C׃

Open Windows Explorer and right-click the C drive.
Select properties, then tools, and perform error check, but don't set any extra test. Allow to finish.

When check is done, close everything.

Click Start>Run and enter
CMD again.

Enter this:
fsutil dirty query c:

It should give a report that says "Volume - C׃ is NOT dirty."

Close the CMD window.

It should be dead now. ? Let's hope so.
July 28, 2010 4:54:59 PM

aford10 said:
start-->run-->msconfig-->on the general tab, make sure normal boot is checked-->on the boot.ini tab, make sure none of the boot option boxes are checked.

Thank's for the advice, problem still there though.
July 28, 2010 5:09:29 PM

tigsounds said:
Ok, let's just kill this thing.

Click: Start>Run>regedit

Go to the following keys and look for

HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

Click: Start>All Programs>Startup

and look for

Report back if you find anything.

Next, click Start>run   and enter
CMD.

enter this:
CHKNTFS /X C׃

Open Windows Explorer and right-click the C drive.
Select properties, then tools, and perform error check, but don't set any extra test. Allow to finish.

When check is done, close everything.

Click Start>Run and enter
CMD again.

Enter this:
fsutil dirty query c:

It should give a report that says "Volume - C׃ is NOT dirty."

Close the CMD window.

It should be dead now. ? Let's hope so.

Slight progress!
1. No dfrgntfs.exe or dfrgfat.exe found.
2. Blue screen on boot up with brief message "Checking file system on C: The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access, windows has finished checking the disk".
3. During the error check after nearly completing phase 2 (most of the blue bars showing) The message "Windows was unable to complete the disk check"
4. During the last check suggested I got the message "Volume C: IS dirty.

Is it time to reach for the 2lb hammer?
July 28, 2010 5:20:57 PM

Nope... this part: "enter this: CHKNTFS /X C׃"

from above will keep chkdsk from ever bothering you again on drive C.

The dirty bit is set and for some reason doesn't want to be re-set.

The only way to get it reset properly is to have chkdsk finish it's job.

You could try to do another error scan from Windows with no extra checks and hope it will finish.

Other than that, starting in the Repair Console and running chkdsk with no extras might clear it.

It won't run anymore at startup anyway.
July 29, 2010 4:45:29 PM

Disaster!
All I've got now is a black screen with the message NTDLR is compressed, press Ctrl Alt Del to restart.

I can get into system recovery but when I have to restart - It comes back to the same black screen with message.

Bios can also be viewed but I don't know what I'm looking at and so don't want to make changes without assistance.

Also I can't afford to wipe the C Drive and lose everything.

Apologies for being a pain but any ideas?

July 29, 2010 10:05:46 PM

aford10 said:
Boot into the repair console, and follow the steps in this guide.
http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/ntldr-is-comp...

Boot up successful but appears to have lost all user accounts and their data. Mrs Mechanic is about to have my boll***s (and not in a pleasant way) is there any way I can retrieve these accounts and their data. "You should have backed it up" has not gone down well, she's having a sense of humour failure!
a b α HP
July 29, 2010 10:09:05 PM

So you can boot into windows now?

What user accounts show in the control panel-->user accounts?
July 30, 2010 9:09:02 AM

Yes it boots ok (although all settings have changed) In the control panel > User accounts there is:

HP-Owner, (which is the administrator account) and although my wife and daughters original folders are showing and I have access to them through my computer> C: > Documents and Settings - the contents of all folders have virtually disappeared.

Guest account with nothing in it.
a b α HP
July 30, 2010 11:15:18 AM

Are the restore points still there? If yes, try rolling back to one, and see if it brings back the accounts.

If not, try using recuva to see if it can recover them.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
July 30, 2010 10:24:38 PM

aford10 said:
Are the restore points still there? If yes, try rolling back to one, and see if it brings back the accounts.

If not, try using recuva to see if it can recover them.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

No restore points but the piriform program has so far found 144GB of lost files and is churning through them as I type. Looks promising so far but still has an estimated 4 hours left. Thank's for the help, I came across this site by accident but have been amazed at the depth of knowledge people have and their willingness to give people in need their time. Absolutely brilliant!

Will keep you updated.
a b α HP
July 31, 2010 4:38:22 AM

Thanks for the update!
Let us know how it goes.
July 31, 2010 4:52:33 PM

aford10 said:
Thanks for the update!
Let us know how it goes.

Piriform recovery program found 144GB of data and put it on the c drive and I switched off with the intention of sorting through the files today.

Start up was greeted with "NTLDR is MISSING press Ctrl Alt Del to continue"

Reboots with HP recovery and XP discs keeps bringing me back to the same screen.

Any ideas why NTLDR is now missing as opposed to being compressed and should I just cut my losses and upgrade or is it recoverable?
August 2, 2010 11:19:44 PM

System re-formatted, the HP recovery discs worked third attempt so starting from scratch again. Thanks again for the advice though, you and Tigsounds have been really helpful.
a b α HP
August 3, 2010 1:45:26 AM

You're welcome, good luck!
!