chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Hello everyone,

I've got a P4 2.8 ghz (Northwood) with 1 gb RAM on a P4P800S mobo right now. I've been looking to upgrade it for a while, and I've been getting more and more errors as time goes on (as well as not being able to use the newest programs to their fullest potential), so I think it's about time (in the next couple months) to move into a new computer.

I've thought off and on about upgrading my system for the past few years, but the fact that my motherboard is socket 478 as opposed to LGA 775 and that DDR1 memory prices have skyrocketed (because it's outdated) have severely limited any tangible upgrades. Short of getting a new motherboard (which would mean having to get new RAM, and a new CPU, and maybe even a couple more components), I've decided to go with a new computer altogether.

My question is if I were to get a new computer now, will it be unable to be upgradeable (without a new motherboard) in terms of its CPU when Nehalem comes out (will Nehalem be using LGA 775)?

I need a new computer, but if it's going to be outdated and I'd have to upgrade the motherboard (which I consider to almost be a "new computer" on its own) to get what can be a (much) faster processor without the old FSB system, I may have to think twice about getting a Core 2 Quad.

Thanks very much in advance!

chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Well, it seems that my decision (to buy a new computer now or wait) has just gotten that much harder.... Hopefully some benchmarks will be released sometime!

Thanks very much for the help, guys.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I was kinda in the same boat. For $200 I got an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+, 4gb of RAM (it was on sale for the same as 2gb) and a cheapo motherboard. I also ordered a new video card but PCI-express I'm hoping will survive the leap to Nehalem... if not, it's only a 9600gt and there will definitely be new video cards out by the time Nehalem goes mainstream.

On non-graphics-heavy applications, my new computer KILLS my old P4 rig. Graphics-heavy will change when I get my 9600gt :)

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Intel might use the x38/48 chipset, since it's capable enough. But yeah, it will definately use new socket, so any board currently out will not support it.

Btw, get 8800gt instead, it's better bang for the buck.

mi1ez

Splendid
As imrul said, no current mobo will be compatible with Nehalem due to it's integrated memory controller.

RAM may be compatible dependent onn DDR2/DDR3 although I can't see Intel releasing a new architecture like this and carrying on with DDR2.

GPU will still be compatible.

PSU will *probably* be compatible although with the IMC, the processor may need more power and the 8pin CPU power (I'm no expert here so feel free to correct me)

I think that's most bases covered...

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
But to go from a P4 2.4 northwood (exact same processor as me) you will even see HUGE gains just going to a cheap dual core like an E2200 so you could always build an el cheapo $500 computer to last you another year, maybe 18 months. This way you can get the new technology several months after it's release and after the initial prices fall a little bit.

This is exactly what I decided to do. I have your exact same processor with a X800GT AGP video card and was going to spend upwards of $1,400 on a new computer but decided that it just isn't worth it and set myself a new budget cap of $650 to build one to last a couple years to get me by. All is well and I'm about halfway through ordering my parts :) After the new intel socket is widely available, or hell maybe even after that depending on what i use this computer for, i'll wait at least a year, maybe 2 or 3 to upgrade. but the newest game that I own is FEAR. I don't play anything that costs $50. I always wait till the games drop to about $29 or less.

Yup. Only I have heard that all Nehalems will have the IMC but the low end are looking towards no QPI. Or the smaller socket could be for laptops. Intel still has not released any deffinative info.

Basically, to me, what this is saying is that the pin layout of Nehalem is compatable with Penryn/Wolfdale. But due to variations on the chips themselves the current sockets and chipsets wont be able to fully support them. Plus they probably wont give you all of the features Nehalem will have and what the use of all those nice features if you plop it in a 2 year old board that can't support them?

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I found this. Whether it is true or not Idk???

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php? [...] 4&Itemid=1

Here's a much more recent article from an equally disreputable source. However, this article has some snapshots of what appear to be slides from an Intel presentation so in my opinion at least it's more believable than the Fudzilla article. As always though, and article from these types of sites needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/04/post-idf-notes-nehalem-cpu

If you are itching for a new system go ahead. Nehalem is still a little ways off and will probably be fairly expensive. If you want to be able to upgrade to the next generation processor, you could get an AMD processor w/ AM2+ mobo. I believe they are *supposed* to be compatible with AMD's next chip.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
taken with a grain of salt...

A grain of salt the size of a deer lick. Anyway Fudzilla has been getting better, and it seems that the Inq seems to be the same old Batboy/UFO crazy Inq they've always been.

zeuseason

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Granted Nehalem is on the horizon, it'll be 5+ years before it trickles down to the consumer for tangible prices. So do the upgrade.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

I wouldn't say that, core2 have been around for less then 2 years now (first one being july 2006) I would say at most a year or so before you get some decent CPUs for your buck

On the other hand I totally agree, get the upgrade, but do so after nehalem comes out (high chance of price cuts)

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
JonyB222, and ZeuSeason

You are both right and both probably wrong. It'll take a while for things to trickle down to a consumer level of justifiable afforability, but at the same time though it didn't take a long time for C2D to take to the consumers because it wasn't a total pinout change.

My guess is that the expense of DDR3 ontop of a new mobo, Vista as the only M$ option and a new CPU architecture are what will really hold Intel up So even if Nehelam is awesome I won't be investing in them or AMD this fall. As AMD is starting to fall further and Nvidia is starting to climb up the CPU tree, it'll be interesting to see how things go.

I've had a few drinks tonight so go easy on me.