Sign in with
Your question

Very Tempting Step-Up: 8800GTX for a 9800GX2?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2008 11:49:42 PM

I built my current rig in December, specs are in my sig, and i am proud of it. But now with the possibility of stepping up to a 9800GX2 i wonder if such a move would be smart. I read the entire 18 page review of the card and it went on and on about just how powerful it is and my eyes just watered up seeing that Nvidia took it's crown once again. I currently have a EVGA super clocked 8800GTX. I love my card but then i look at the 9800GTX2 and it's "supposedly" way faster than anything on the market. I realize that the card, even with 1GB of memory, it's actually 512MB on each core and i wonder if going this route in some way is a downgrad of some kind. Right now i my head i have that article I read where Nvidia's president said that the single GPU card solution will always be the best and that statement is one that i so agreed with even back when SLI first started as a gimic and made it to mainstream. Right now i need some honest brutal advice on weather trading up to a 9800GX2 is worth giving up my 8800GTX.
March 20, 2008 11:53:10 PM

depends on how much you could sell your 8800gtx for, but in general i wouldnt upgrade. Its a nice little performance boost, but not worth the price imo when you already have such an awesome card
March 20, 2008 11:58:50 PM

I see your point Helo. The trade would be via EVGA's Step Up Program. You basically send in your card and they send you the card your trading it in for. Right now my only cost really would be the difference of what i paid and what the 9800GTX is worth and shipping. Basically $40 bucks. Cost isn't the issue actually i'm just wondering if I should keep my current one or would i find a better performer within the 9800GX2.
Related resources
March 21, 2008 12:11:56 AM

wingsofzion said:
I see your point Helo. The trade would be via EVGA's Step Up Program. You basically send in your card and they send you the card your trading it in for. Right now my only cost really would be the difference of what i paid and what the 9800GTX is worth and shipping. Basically $40 bucks. Cost isn't the issue actually i'm just wondering if I should keep my current one or would i find a better performer within the 9800GX2.

if cost isn't an issue, then what are you waiting for? :D 
March 21, 2008 12:18:05 AM

wingsofzion said:

Have you actually calculated the difference on there site? They usually wont give you the exact amount that you paid on your purchase.

But if you have done it and $40 is the difference... It's still hard for me to justify getting an GX2. It's not new technology and having quad sli issues. Also depending on what resolution your playing at the difference may appear, inconceivable. Usually after 60fps its pretty hard to tell a difference (at least I can't).
March 21, 2008 12:27:12 AM

The question is what res do you play at?

I have seen charts for how much memory Crysis uses at different resolutions and AA levels and it does use over 512 megs of video ram sometimes. In that scenario I believe the GTX would do better.

Personally I would step up anyway :bounce: 
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2008 12:31:47 AM

How much time do you have left on the trade up? There were still some disturbing "glitches" with the GX2 test that may be fixed by drivers, or not. You could wait (if you have time) to see if it improves. If it really is just $40, though, go for it. It should improve FPS a little and you will be able to say you have the best card (again).
March 21, 2008 12:34:18 AM

I play at 1600 x 1200 on a 20.1 inch monitor. I turn AA on or off depending how it affects the game but with my 8800GTX i have had no issues with AA being on. In the TH review it says when going into higher reso's with AA on the 9800GX2 begins to decline performance wise, i think that is a lil troubling to me.
March 21, 2008 1:06:18 AM

I wouldnt, turn the aa on and its only 13% increase over what you have now, thats not even visible
March 21, 2008 1:39:12 AM

While the 9800GX2 is generally faster than the 8800GTX, there are cases where it falls behind due to the smaller memory pool. I have an 8800GTX, but I'm an entire year past my step-up period and have no intention of upgrading until Nvidia creates a real upgrade.
March 21, 2008 2:08:14 AM

Totally agree with you there Heyyou27, lets see a real upgrade, then ill start to pull some cash together for a new video card.
March 21, 2008 2:18:10 AM

I just evaulated it all and decided to sli my current 8800 GTX, an evga, with a bfg oc2 from ebay. At $350, including the koolance waterblock, I consider it a steal. Everything else I have is watered as well.

Now, nvidia says all like cards play nice in sli with version 80+ drivers, but bfg says they must be same brand. Thoughts?
March 21, 2008 2:19:23 AM

I was in the same spot as you i built my rig dec.11 and i HAD got a 8800gtx BUTTTT EVGA had the 120days step up and i did it .. i thought of it this wayu i paid 80$ more for the gx2 and i got WAY better performence then my OLD 8800gtx and i got newer TECHNOLGY!!!! when i say technolgy meaning not just quad SLI BUT also the fact when you sli them and you have the right MOBO you nvida has this thing were it well actually use all the JUICE in bouth of the cards SLIed reather then useing juice from one card and geting more from the 2nd when it would need it ... watch the video TO UNDESTAND WHAT I MEAN ... and watch my youtube video about my computer

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=567209515525059...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTOCv9HE1M
March 21, 2008 1:27:38 PM

Very interesting replys and Indigo, that page 16 is what really made me consider if this was a good step or not when i first read the TH review. I know i won't be quading anytime soon so that's not an option for me right now. And also i do agree that the 9800GX2 isn't new technology in the sence it's the next gen Nvidia card. We won't see that till the summer/fall or so when the newer true next gen Nvidia cards get released (the GT200).

Heyyou27 said:
While the 9800GX2 is generally faster than the 8800GTX, there are cases where it falls behind due to the smaller memory pool.

I thought of that and maybe someone can answer this question. Since my current card has 768 memory and the GX2 has 1GB (i know 512mb per core), would i get bottlenecked with the 256mb difference on the one core? I know when AA is on, as another poster posted, the card goes over 512MB on the core. So what part those the second 512mb on the second core play?

a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2008 1:47:24 PM

In sli or cf each card uses its own memory, and its like using it to display everyother line, so each 512mb used by each chip displaying each line, so really your only getting 512mb, unlike the 8800GTX which gives 768
March 21, 2008 8:57:36 PM

Exactly, even thought you have 2 512 cards, it doesnt count as 1 gig of memory, still just 512, now it would be nice if that was the case, i think we would see a greater benefit out of sli, but nvidia chooses not to do that right now.
March 21, 2008 9:35:22 PM

I wouldn't even consider it if I were you. This card is as half-assed as it gets. They didn't even bother going to 10.1 with this card line, they cut down the rops and the memory interface, and this card in particular has a rather large issue with any AA. Don't waste such a large amount of money on place holder cards, wait till the summer.
March 22, 2008 9:58:59 AM

hmm, think after hearing alot of replies and confirmation of my own fears of getting that card i think i'll stick with my 8800GTX.
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2008 11:20:52 AM

I think there has to be pros and cons to upgrading. I dont really think there will be much difference that you will see in performance if you do upgrade in most circumstances. If it really only costs 40.00 that would be the only thing that would make me consider it.

I have the 8800GTX ANS3 card and I have had it almost a year. I am very satisfied with it and to be honest I believe what some of the other guys here say about upgrading your CPU, "wait and skip every other generation of CPU before upgrading". I think in most cases this is true and most likely is a good rule of thumb for other hardware upgrades as well, including video cards.

I don't think many, if anyone knows enough about this new card to answer your question to upgrade. If you only have to spend 40.00 and dont mind the inconvenience of the process, maybe its not such a bad idea but I wouldn't expect leaps and bounds in performance gains in most cases.

Since I have had my card for so long I am waiting. I just got the EVGA 780i mobo and might round up 1 or 2 more of my cards (if I can find them) and stick with that for a couple or more years...
March 22, 2008 11:22:47 AM

To be honest mate msot ppl are just GX2 haters anyway, its like a internet trend.

If it were me id definitely upgrade. beats GTX in most cases and totally pwns it in crysis, COD4 etc etc. Plus if you ever wanna go dual monitor for w/e reaosn. using a single core for each monitor will be extremly more powerufl then using a single GTX for both monitors.

The memory amount doesn't even come into it, idk where people get it from. GX2 destroys crysis, first card to do so yet.
March 22, 2008 11:45:59 AM

If you are itching to spend money upgrading your rig you should up the memory :) 
March 22, 2008 11:47:53 AM

I look at it as whatever card i have will have to last me for a year or two cause i never was one to always have to buy the top of the line card every freak'n year. My average card buy rate is once every 2 years or so cause that's when you usually find that game, like i did with Crysis, that makes you retire your current card for a new one. My last card was a 7800GT which lasted gaming wise 2+ years till Crysis came and told it to take it's @$$ back to preschool. Then I built an entirely new machine around a 8800GTX and that card OWNED Crysis. Honeslty i never got how people couldn't play Crysis with High setting and with AA on with no glicthes with that card. maybe they built thier machines wrong or ran into Vista hiccups. The card is only 3 months old in this machine as of last Monday and i look at the 9800GX2 as not really a next gen, but just a very fine tuned SLI card. My upgrade reasons have always been "if you see a difference, do it, if the difference is just a slight bump in FPS and nothing really great, wait for the next big daddy card". I didnt replace my 7800GT till i seen it couldn't handle games, to my standards, like COD 4, BioShock and Crysis. If you have to dumb down your settings to medium, get a new card. I play at full max resolutions and with all my settings high. I've been a hardcore gamer for years and i enjoy the hobby of building machines but i attempt to do it smart and not fall into the "gotta have" stage of it all (you know like when you just gotta have the new CPU and GFX cards just cause it's new and for no other reason). So i'm gonna take this new 30 days EVGA gave me to reevaluate all this and see what's best. There are also the fact that my current 750W psu doesnt have an 8-pin connector but i'm sure the 6pin to 8pin connector i can buy for $5 bucks can nix that problem.
March 22, 2008 12:29:27 PM

wait till the last week of the step up and if the 9800gtx doesnt come out then get it. What? your only gonna pay the difference, right? which is what? $100?
March 22, 2008 2:02:06 PM

9800GTX most likely wont even outperform 8800GTX in most things so forget that lol.
March 22, 2008 2:28:21 PM

simple answer upgrade to the 9800GX2.and in the future driver optimisation should make the card more powerful than it is now.Future proof is what this thing give you because you could make quad SLI if you get another 9800GX2 in the future if you need to.
March 22, 2008 9:44:26 PM

If the 9800GTX was 768MB like the 8800GTX then i would skip the 9800GX2 and go for that one. I don't see why it's a 512mb card since within the 9 series they'll have 3 different 512MB cards, 9600GT, 9800GT2 (1GB but 512mb on each core) and now the 9800GTX with 512mb. I feel the 9800GTX should be a beefed up version of the 8800GTX just on a 65mn board and HD add-on like the 9600GT is verus the 8800GT. Since Nvidia is going into a rewrapping stage now of just wrapping older cards with new flavor why not do the same for the 8800GTX in the form of the 9800GTX. Maybe it's just me or wouldn't that make a lil more business sence. I understand the 9800GX2 is stupposed to take the crown as being the new faster card but give us a $450 9800GTX that built around the 8800GTX model.
March 22, 2008 9:46:42 PM

Why not?...look how many cores it has:

March 22, 2008 10:09:41 PM

nice!look like its from a 6800GT and then photoshopped
March 22, 2008 10:14:42 PM

There are 3 reasons the 9800 GTX is going to be the most reasonable crysis pounding option until summer. The price being lower than both the X2 and GX2 for one.... secondly the driver stability with a single gpu solution... and the other is this:

No voltmod required. At those speeds it'll crush an ultra.
March 22, 2008 10:21:30 PM

well what you have been given.it its true than no doubt the 9800GTX will be the king of single core graphics card.i think it will be faster than the 3870x2 as well.But the problem still exist and that is the amount of graphics memory it has.
March 22, 2008 10:54:08 PM

LAN_deRf_HA said:
There are 3 reasons the 9800 GTX is going to be the most reasonable crysis pounding option until summer. The price being lower than both the X2 and GX2 for one.... secondly the driver stability with a single gpu solution... and the other is this:

http://xtreview.com/images/geForce%209800%20GTX%20in%20sale%20104.jpg

No voltmod required. At those speeds it'll crush an ultra.

This is indeed a fact.
very powerful cards they are.
March 22, 2008 10:57:52 PM

i will wait until 1 april and see the review.but i doubt here will do any overclock on it though.
March 22, 2008 11:08:39 PM

yea i'll wait till then also. hopefully EVGA may do a ste up extension for the 9800GTX like they did for the GX2.
March 22, 2008 11:51:36 PM

blacksci said:
I wouldnt, turn the aa on and its only 13% increase over what you have now, thats not even visible

It's more of an increase than that because an SLI GTX performs to the same level of the GX2, and in some cases worse.
March 23, 2008 12:48:12 AM

whaa ???
March 23, 2008 1:25:21 AM

just forget anything that you dont understand.just assume that personnever posted the reply.
March 23, 2008 4:10:46 AM

wingsofzion said:
hmm, think after hearing alot of replies and confirmation of my own fears of getting that card i think i'll stick with my 8800GTX.

Don't let these guys scare you, if you're stepping up it's worth the money and is practically future proof considering that you can tri-SLI this card. Once the need comes for tri-SLI the price will be much lower than it is now.

As far as performance right now, the GX2 can go toe to toe and beat out in some situations an SLI 8800 GTX setup - which is approx $750-800 to pull that off.

blacksci said:
whaa ???

13% isn't accurate
March 23, 2008 6:06:33 AM

Pay the $40, Get the GX2, Sell it for 500 to 600 dollars, buy a new gtx.

You make about a hundred dollars....
March 23, 2008 10:32:44 AM

i dont think this guy is looking to make money.lol
March 23, 2008 11:14:11 AM

lol, nah i'm not looking to cash in on this but make a good choice is all. Gut tells me to wait till the 9800GTX is released, look at its benchmarks and reviews and make a choice between the two. My step up runs out on the 21st of April so i have time. I've never been one to make a quick rash choice... well... lol, not on video cards anyways :) 
!