Memtest86+? (IT WORKS NOW YAH :))

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Hey,

I'm trying to test my memory with Memtest, but I don't have any clue where to begin. I went to the website: http://www.memtest.org/#forum

But I'm not sure which one of these I should dl:

** Memtest86+ V2.01 (21/02/2008) **

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Is it possible to dl to a flashdrive and have it boot up from the flash drive? If so, do I just go into the BIOS and tell it to boot it up from there?

Could someone go through this step by step? Thanks.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

First, here's a more up to date build http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.4a.iso.zip

unzip, and burn the ISO to CD as an image. Then set the DVD drive as first boot device.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
ok, problem bootin through CD drive, I burned an image of the applications onto the CD, they are called Boot and Memtest.img, but when the computer boots through cd, nothing gets installed. Several screens of computer jargon go by, I caught something about it not detecting any file in it and the in ends with this "[DR-DosA:\>" with a blinking cursor after it which I can't type anything, what am I doing wrong?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Nothing gets installed, the program is supposed to be run from the CD, it's a boottime Dos or Linux-based application that has nothing to do with any operating system. It should boot and run Memtest, you may need to push a key at the prompt "boot from CD?" otherwise it runs into the Dr. DOS installer.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
busted- I tried typing in something as the prompt came up telling me it was booting from the CD-Rom, there was no change, it still went through and I ended up with the Dr-DosA thing, can someone provide me with a step by step instructions how to do it from the beginning right after I dl it because this isn't getting anywhere or maybe give me the link of another memory test option.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Finally, no one thought to tell me that I might want to consider dl a ISO burner such as POWER ISO to burn the files on the CD. AFter doing that, it started to read off of the CD, at last, thanks anyway for all the help.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I told you very specifically to burn the ISO as an image, not to make a data DVD (which creates a Nero .img)
unzip, and burn the ISO to CD as an image. Then set the DVD drivehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD as first boot device.

ISO IS an image, I thought you understood that. In Nero go to "Recorder / Burn Image." You don't need another ISO burning application for this ISO if you already Nero. If you DID need something else, I would have mentioned it.