Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

best graphics card to get for 1024x768 res

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 21, 2008 4:11:24 AM

8800gtx or 8800gts? im willing to pay more for a little more performance

btw: i play games like crysis and oblivion
March 21, 2008 5:14:14 AM

at this resolution both are same..in fact gts might be a bit ahead.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 21, 2008 6:13:46 AM

proto_prime said:
8800gtx or 8800gts? im willing to pay more for a little more performance

btw: i play games like crysis and oblivion


Both will be overkill but there is no way you will need a GTX so get a G92 8800GT/S
Mactronix
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 21, 2008 6:49:20 AM

Between those go for 8800GTS but i agree with Mactronix, a 8800GT is will be more than enough for that resolution
So my vote goes for 8800GT
March 21, 2008 12:48:10 PM

im willing to pay extra for a more performance, are ya sure gts might be a head of the gtx on this res? wouldnt the gtx's extra ram give it an extra boost at this resolution?
March 21, 2008 12:53:14 PM

proto_prime said:
im willing to pay extra for a more performance, are ya sure gts might be a head of the gtx on this res? wouldnt the gtx's extra ram give it an extra boost at this resolution?


At that resolution, you will not notice any difference between the two cards. The GTX would be a complete waste of money. The extra ram will help you at higher resolutions.
March 21, 2008 12:59:24 PM

ok but the gts at 1024x768 will help me set the settings of Crysis to Very High?
March 21, 2008 1:13:42 PM

yes, it would you. but ull need vista, or the hack for xp to use the very high.
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 21, 2008 1:15:01 PM

Yes
March 21, 2008 1:22:09 PM

ok do you know how much gpu ram is essential for 1024x768?

March 21, 2008 1:37:30 PM

What's your processor? If you're using an AMD processor (No offense to AMD users, I'm just referring in relevance to Intel Core2Duo users that are running on 3.0Ghz +) even using the 9800GX2 will not net any speed improvement because you're being bottlenecked by the processor.

It might run on 300FPS on a quiet scenery buy if you get in a CPU straining section like a 6 person firefight, it will still slowdown in that section regardless of video card if you have a slow processor.

My best guess is either 3870 and/or 9600GT. Even the Radeon 3850 is good enough, however, the 256MB could be a problem in Crysis.
March 21, 2008 1:38:14 PM

512MB will be more than enough.
March 21, 2008 1:48:08 PM

proto_prime said:
ok do you know how much gpu ram is essential for 1024x768?

The lower the resolution the less critical the amount of GPU RAM

The higher the resolution the more critical the amount of GPU RAM

There's plenty of memory on a 512MB card for 1024x768 gaming. It's when you get close to HD res (1680x1050 or higher) where the RAM starts adversely affecting performance since there's about 225% more pixels to render at 1680x1050 than at 1024x768.
March 21, 2008 4:07:56 PM

At 12x7 res, crysis at high settings used about 480m vram when available. Saw it on some review comparing 8800gt 256m/512m. Dont actually remember the link.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 21, 2008 4:13:37 PM

night_wolf_in said:
512MB will be more than enough.


Agreed but what stridervm asked is the most important thing now you may well be looking at cards your CPU just cant handle.
March 22, 2008 2:45:54 AM

Just get a 3870 or a 9600GT or 3850 512mb.
March 22, 2008 3:15:26 AM

got a 7900gs 256mb and it suits my needs.
March 22, 2008 3:47:25 AM

i still say the GTS is the best thing right now. wont get the 9600 or 3870.

mactronix said:
Agreed but what stridervm asked is the most important thing now you may well be looking at cards your CPU just cant handle.


true, but he never asked bout cpu, n never mentioned it. so im just making my answers as short as possible. if i start taking all possibilities to make his gaming optimum. i would have to talk bout everything, from cpu, psu, gpu, rams, LCD, etc.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 22, 2008 7:08:14 AM

night_wolf_in said:
i still say the GTS is the best thing right now. wont get the 9600 or 3870.



true, but he never asked bout cpu, n never mentioned it. so im just making my answers as short as possible. if i start taking all possibilities to make his gaming optimum. i would have to talk bout everything, from cpu, psu, gpu, rams, LCD, etc.


@ night_wolf_in
Im sorry its not that i have an issue with what you said its just that there seems to be a glitch some where and i cant post with out Quoting ? I know its mental, I have started using quick reply instead now to save having to Quote.

Oh i stand by what i said in the first place that a GT/S is all the OP will need or use at that res, just dont like the idea that we may be recomending the OP pay out for some thing he cant use.
Thanks
Mactronix
March 22, 2008 3:58:48 PM

a Nvidia 9600GT is more than enough even if you will upgrade your monitor in the future to a 22".
March 23, 2008 3:35:27 AM

i say skip the 9 series. just a bunch of rebranded 8 series with higher clocks. hd3870 should suffice. if you want to go for it get the 8800gts although at that resolution i dont think the difference will be great.
a c 175 U Graphics card
March 23, 2008 4:13:33 AM

I'm not sure why people are suggesting such massive video cards for such a tiny resolution. You shouldn't limit yourself with a "mid range" card like the 2600XT/3650. A nice 512MB (for 4x AA) 3850 is probably your best bet. Seeing as the difference is small, you might want to consider getting the 3870. Either of these should be enough to power their way through any game @ 1024x768. I don't really see why you'd get anything bigger.
March 23, 2008 4:16:08 AM

mactronix said:
@ night_wolf_in
Im sorry its not that i have an issue with what you said its just that there seems to be a glitch some where and i cant post with out Quoting ? I know its mental, I have started using quick reply instead now to save having to Quote.

Oh i stand by what i said in the first place that a GT/S is all the OP will need or use at that res, just dont like the idea that we may be recomending the OP pay out for some thing he cant use.
Thanks
Mactronix


what the sorry for? it is cools dont bother.

i c ur point. but if he wants better reply from the forum users, he should provide more information. but he didnt, so i made the assumption he aint a noob. n knows what he is talking about. :) 
March 23, 2008 7:32:35 AM

If you're ready to pay for a 8800GTX, why not just get the 8800GTS and use the money saved to buy yourself a better monitor so you can better appreciate the new video card?...
March 23, 2008 10:23:53 AM

ATI card is just not as good as Nvidia's card.especially with AA turn on.thats a fact thats been true for over a year now.
!