Build AMD/ATI OR Intel/nVIDIA thats the question

massih

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I had tested many hardwares during all this years from K6 till phenom and MMx 233 till Q6600.From S3 savage8 till 3870 X2.Let me talk about my experience:

Old days:

1. K8 was faster than any P4 per it's price all the time.(maybe clock is not a good factor because it was a big clock gap between K8 and P4)

2.Ati 9xxx were faster than Fx5xxx(and most of 6xxx) from nVidia (not per price sometimes)

3.Am2 was a big failure from AMD because: DDR performance was twice faster than DDR2 .(specialy in dual mode)
and If AMD did not switched to am2, today we had DDR1000(should Perforemed like DDR3 2000!)
Dual channel performance has a big gap between DDR2/3 and DDR.
this is where users switched from good performed 939 to Intel Core2 .
But not because they do not have any feature on their M/boards ,because
they could not find 939 X2 CPUs easily ,then DDR ram went to fazed out.
So AM2 is slower than 939!(per clock)... you can see an 2.6 ghz opteron dual core is faster than x2 5200 (windsor) with same cores ,with same chipset ,but the slower is AM2.Why? because DDR2 800 <= DDR 400!!!

today :

4.HD 3870 seems to perform slower than 8800gt BUT:

a.Picture quality (3d maps) are in better quality if you take picture from games?!
It means 3870 can perform even faster than 8800gt while the quality [SEEMs] them same
(but not the same in game option!)

b.If you change the EXE file of your game for example from Crysis.exe to Crysis2.exe the game perform slower
than before in nVidia.(depends of the driver) means nVidia cheats!
While all options are high but picture quality is lower than ATI 3870.

c. 3870 is a RV chip it means it is a VALUE product.
3850 performs 80% faster than 8600GTS!
while 3850 is targetting 8600gts,3870 X2 targetting 8800 ultra,and it is a better product while quality of game details differences.(ATI is better at same detail)

d.SLI from nvidia only can do 50% faster even with 3 card the third card is wasted!! But crossfire is making 80% boost for two and more han 200% in quad CrossFire.So this is where ATI helps AMD,but not phenom!

e.Still there are many many bug reports from nvidia 88xx and 9600 cards.this can be reduced by changing drivers but there is no garranty for it.This means I go ATI these days!

5.All the time M/Bs detected AMDs new CPUs at least in the name of "Unknown AMD " But today phenom does not boot with 98% of AM2 boards.... this is a new big mistake from AMD pushing AM2 users to Intel core2.

6.Memoy controller in 9500 and other low-clocked phenoms is very poor,perform like a 754 DDR1 CPU,in clocks higher than 2.8 this problem solved,This means performance of phenom goes higher per clock! then a 3.2 GHZ phenom (shanghai) may beat a core2 per clock!who knows!

7.In intel Max of REAL performance of any Ram is this: 400MHZ for fsb800,533mhz for fsb 1066,667 mhz for fsb1333,800 mhz for fsb 1600, and this is a chipset limitation!and will change in next generation.

8.X2 6400+ is a CPU you can buy it at 180$ (boxed with heat-pipe fan)... It is a power hungry choice but it's price make it a good choice.Which is faster than 6750 with the same price.this CPU has a good performance in Memory.(around 10000MB p/s) ,But it's technology is old.Why Amd cannot build a low power cpu at this performance?This could be another mistake!

9.Clock is not a problem.I think power waste is the problem.Phenom is not a good per watt CPU ,if it was.... there is no problem with it's lower clock/performance ratio and While I am waiting for a better low-power and higher clocked phenom.

So AMD or Intel? Nvidia or ATI? thats the question...

?????!?!?!?WTF?

I have a bad feeling this is going to go in to flames.

@OP:
2319238695_ef31bc061c_o.jpg

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO A TROLL

Sounds to me you like the high end ATI GPU's but hate the AMD mobo's and phenom. You also dont want the quads from Intel as you are afraid of new CPU's coming crushing any high priced CPU now. I would suggest you buy a cheap dual core maybe the E2160, E2180, or X2 5000BE with an HD 3850 or HD 3870.

Like the others your post seems trollish or maybe your just very picky.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
2 cents...

this is probably stating the obvious overall... but, i just recently upgraded from an s939 X2 3800+ @ 2.4 1.4v nForce4-a939 2.5GB PC3200 7800GT 256MB... ...to an LGA775 E2200 @ 3.0 1.42v IP35-E 4GB PC6400 8800GT 512MB

the reason im saying this though, was because just upgrading the gpu by itself wasnt nearly enough of a difference for gaming, with the 8800GT 512 performing rather similar to the 7800GT 256, in games specifically... and at first it was quite a dissapointment (with framerates oftentimes stuttering in more games than not, still, especially at remotely higher resolutions and details)... but it turns out after some experimenting, that the platform i was still using, had finally outlived its usefulness (for me anyhow, its been handed down though), it took almost 3 years, but, it finally happened...

i didnt realize how substantial the impact of a cpu alone could make for gaming, especially when the other cpu wasnt slow really, or so i thought (the 4GB of pc6400 was initially a single 2GB dimm too, so, no difference there for gaming so much)... though, my brother did comment on how slow his [X2 3800+ @ 2.4] was in comparison when it came to map loading, so, another perk from upgrading the above parts

anyhow... just thought i would share that though, and express how satisfied i am with the overhaul :)

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004

I would like to draw your attention to the Search controls at the top of the page. These questions have been asked thousands of times. With a little effort on your part, I'm sure you'll manage to find something helpful.

This site does a lot of hardware reviews. If you look hard enough, there's probably something that will tell you what's the best video card for the money (fyi - that was a hint).

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Come Come now.
Don't expect the challanged to think :>

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
@massih Do you have any supporting article or anything for your statement & judgement?

IMO that's a nice issue :) However we'll need more justification for your article.

For me all the things happening in the world of computing (gaming in particular) is evil (but I like it :p).

Nowadays the market was driven by the big company, not by the customer .. Sad, but we have no options ...

massih

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
antas ,Tomshardware guide has details most of my experiences in more detail.I tested many systems but not as much as toms.if you wana try go to charts

but The only thing you cannot find in toms-guide is higher quality of ATI 3870:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/246337-15-help-choosing-3750-8800gt-image-quality

and I am 100% sure about 3870 x2 quality is much better.because I have a
shop I can test every hardware I want!
details in 3870 is much detailed!

about low performance of ddr2/ddr3 systems sisoft sandra is a good reference.but be carefull sisoft sandra is not a good reference for CPU! that is not real world.

massih

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
somebody find a job for :
Shadow7037 93 !!!
this page is made for a fast and quick choose to build a system!
When you do not have time you should trust people to help you. but:

Shadow7037 93 you have full time here I think!
be carefull!

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007

Is this a Thunderman alias?

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
@massih > shadow: meh :) lolz ... :D

I don't have much first hand experience at AMD to be honest, so I couldn't justify your statement :) I'm using Intel most of the time, esp. for company use. For home use, I use AMD twice myself, and couple of times for my friend's build. But most of the time I ended up with Intel (70-80%), either for home or for work. Seems that everytime I go for a build Intel hit at the right moment :) For ATi/NVIDIA, the comparison is like 5:3.

Well, I guess (pure guess) some of your statement kinda true. But sometime the evil is sweet :) Nah, I'm joking. I mean sometimes we don't have much times for really doing some research :)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Don't think so.
He never referred to Intel as the "Great Satan".

His Contribution to the Forums, however, appear to be equal.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004

massih,

I presume your native language is not English (UK or American ;) ) - you post looks like you were typing in a second language or as if you used Babel Fish for some of the translation. In either case, you probably know at least one more language than most here, so hats off to you for that. However, where you may know English, you apparently don't know it well, and your post looks like hell. Reading through it is anything but fast and quick.

In the future, condense your thoughts. Reading through a little broken English is easier than reading through a lot of broken English. People are more likely to understand what you're saying and produce the help you desire.

And, again, use the search feature, and browse the site. Toms has video card and CPU performance articles with benchmarks and charts. A little effort on your part will likely produce better information than re-asking a question that comes up daily.

massih

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Dear...
What I said is about the title of this page! not about my hell English!As you said.Here I live 90% of people do not know English.So if you can edit my typing and
send it in PRIVATE message .I Will choose your words then Thanks.

and, I am an AMD-fan.still using 5200 x2.But I know I should be fair when talking about A NEW SYSTEM BUILD.
Today Phenom is a mistake not runnig on last-year-bought High-end M/Bs.Specialy the report of NO-BOOT.I think this CPU could detected as an X2,Then a driver could improve it's performance in old M/B that they did not detected all cores! But today Phenom is A new Socket without real features.Many reports of High-power waste.many reports of 3rd core problem.Many reports of problem on brand-new M/Bs.only DDR-2 1066 and HT-3 ! in performance of a DDR1-754 system (see toms charts about bad Memory performance of phenom)

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
so you're asking a question and giving a statement. do you want us to discuss which is better, or do you want to say that amd is bad? either way, i don't see what you want...

naaahhhhhhh....... I don't play WoW. Just used my old RS account to get the pics. Used to play RS when I was like (10-12?). I just logged in to it after about 3 months just to grab the pic. (I log in to it every once in a while so they won't deactivate it or if im really bored). I play FPS games now ;). Halo CE, Crysis, HL2, CSS,etc.