Sign in with
Your question

Lost Windows XP Style Display

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
July 27, 2010 5:08:26 AM

I'm running Windows XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 3. My system went down due to some viruses. I received it back from the shop but now I can't get my XP Style back. I only have Windows Classic style as the only option. I checked the file services.msc but everything looks normal there in Themes, it is supposedly running and Service status is Started. I tried stopping it and starting it again, but nothing changes. Do I need to reinstall Windows? If I reinstall Windoes would I have to reinstall all my programs and set up all my settings again?

More about : lost windows style display

July 27, 2010 5:22:53 AM

Tried right-clicking on vacant area of desktop, select "Properties" then "Themes" tab, make settings, then "Desktop" tab, make settings, then "Appearance" tab, make settings?

Sounds like you have tried high-level fixes, how about mundane user fixes?
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2010 5:29:54 AM

That's the problem, the option for XP Style is not listed, only Windows Classic Style appears in the tab for Appearance.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 5:33:51 AM

Quote:
That's the problem, the option for XP Style is not listed, only Windows Classic Style appears in the tab for Appearance.

Look in Windows\Resources\Themes\luna
There should be a file named Luna.msstyles and is listed as 4,093 KB.
This will be most of the XP theme.

If you don't see this folder, don't mess up your Windows. There is a way to show the resources folder.

The resources folder can be copied from another XP machine if it is truly not there.
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2010 6:04:53 AM

Dear Mr. Tigsounds,

Roar...
You deserve a raise. Thanks. I copied the file from another machine and voila, it works great.

squint
m
l
July 27, 2010 6:21:37 AM

Quote:
Dear Mr. Tigsounds,

Roar...
You deserve a raise. Thanks. I copied the file from another machine and voila, it works great.

squint

Quote:
Roar...

So... You know about our Tigritos. :) 

Nice to see it works again. :hello: 

(a raise? no, this is all voluntary, all we can hope for is a "Best Answer" award (hint: it's just below the "Reply to Tigsounds:" button, up at frame that had the instructions)

m
l
!