Sign in with
Your question

MOBO/CPU replacement (OEM o/s) HELP please!

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2008 4:53:43 AM

TOMS has been great, so I thought I would bounce a few questions off you guys before I switch out my old MOBO/CPU for a new MOBO/CPU.

Below are my OLD SPECS and my NEW SPECS (only change is MOBO CPU)
OLD SYSTEM:
MOBO: Intel Cortez 945gcz
CPU: Intel Pentium D 820 (hottest cpu ever, loL)
CASE: Thermaltake ARMOR
RAM: Pqi Turbo DDR2 (curently running at 667 at 5-5-5-5-15)
OPTICALS: 2 x TSST dvd-rw
VIDEO: Ati 1900gt ddr3 256
SOUND: SB X-fi Platinum (card has 'device wont start' issues, doesnt always work for me in current system)
O/S: Windows XP media center (OEM - I have product key/activation)
PSU: Kingwin Mach 1 850watt modular
HDD: Seagate 7200 rpm 250gb (with 4gb of recovery partition)

NEW SYSTEM:
MOBO: ASUS P5E x38
CPU: Intel E6850 3.0 (with Cooler Master Hyper X2 hsf)
ASE: Thermaltake ARMOR
RAM: Pqi Turbo DDR2 (should run at 800 in new setup?)
OPTICALS: 2 x TSST dvd-rw
VIDEO: Ati 1900gt ddr3 256
SOUND: SB X-fi Platinum (hoping the card issues were related to the old mobo... we'll see)
O/S: Windows XP media center (OEM - I have product key/activation)
PSU: Kingwin Mach 1 850watt modular
HDD: Seagate 7200 rpm 250gb (with 4gb of recovery partition)

I have read the MOBO FAQ (helpfull, thanks).
But, I have a few questions, as this is one my first major upgrades and system builds (although I have done some case swaps, etc...):

-I already installed the MOBO ASUS (chipset) driver disk to my currently running setup in Windows..
BUT, I dont have an XP disc (since this is an OEM setup with a partition), so I cant do an official XP REPAIR..how will this work? Will I just have to reactivate windows?
or
Should I first boot and go into a SYSTEM RECOVERY, wipe out the old C drive data, and let the system recover, then try and reload the mobo drivers???

-Just to verify, my ASUS mobo should be loaded with some version of the BIOS already in cmos, correct?
I dont have a USB key, and I dont know what access to the DVD drives I will have once I get going...

Any other thoughts on the system or advice is WELCOME and APPRECIATED!!!
Once I tear this comp down and sub in the mobo and cpu, I wont have internet access as this is my only comp....so i will be eagerly awaiting any thoughts or advice!
March 12, 2008 12:24:14 PM

Scary that Google already cached your post in hours:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Intel+Cortez+945gcz

Is this your mobo?

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/cz/cz_available.ht...

So I think the parts are compatible. If the ram is 800mhz, it will run at 800mhz on the new board.

Print this out:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Articles&go=read&arc...

Do you have a SYSTEM RECOVERY disk? If so, wipe out c drive or the os drive, do a fresh install, uncheck 3rd-party crapware when asked after install, load all the old drivers, check out the Web, try a few things, make sure the os is working flawlessly, restart a few times, shut down & start it up one last time, follow the guide above, then shut down & upgrade the parts.

Important: do NOT restart pc while you're uninstalling drivers even if Windows asks you to. If you do, you'll have to start over.
March 12, 2008 12:32:05 PM

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't an OEM copy of Windows locked to the mobo if the system isn't bought from a vendor?
Related resources
March 12, 2008 7:30:03 PM

Thanks!

I will follow those instuctions and hope for the best today!

The OEM license of Windows used to be more stringent I think, because a few years ago, I upgraded the bios to a non-gateway-supported bios verision and it asked me to RE_ACTIVATE windows...
When I tried to with my OEM key, it didnt accept it, gateway then told me to reload the old bios.

I have since installed INTEL's latest 2008 bios version for this intel 945gcz and when asked to ACTIVATE windows, it worked with the OEM key with no problem. I am hoping this will work for the new board then too.

March 14, 2008 4:37:01 AM

I ended up buying a SEAGATE 500gb 7200rpm 32mb cache drive for my System/HDD.

I decided to rebuild the GATEWAY and sell it now, and its easier to do with the OEM hard drive, with system restore, etc...

Also, I think building the system from scratch with a new XP Pro license, new hard drive and the new ASUS P5E + E6850 should be much easier and happier as well.

Any thoughts on the system:
ASUS P5E x38
E6850 CPU 3.0
850watt kingwin mach 1 psu
667/800 pqi turbo 2x1 gb RAM
sblaster x-fi platinum
ati 1900gt
seagate 7200 rpm 32mb cache 500gb hdd
2xoptical tsst dvd-rw drives
with PCI slot cooler
with Cooler master hyper x2 hsf
March 14, 2008 10:44:34 AM

Good decision. Go with Xeon E3110, which is the same as E8400 for less, if you can find it. Or Q6600. And 800mhz ram. or faster if you overclock. Dump the cooler for Freezer 7 Pro or Big Typhoon if you o/c.
!