Need help picking my first mobo

I am building my own rig for the first time, it will be a high end system with a qx9650 and a 9800gx2.

I still don't know if i am getting ddr2 or ddr3, but i am not going for SLI so i want a intel chipset mobo.

So what motherboard should i get if i am going ddr3? What about ddr2? Keep in mind this is my first mobo and i never overclocked before (but i want to learn) or worked with any BIOS, so i would like one that doesn't cause me much problems and is easy to work with.

I would really appreciate any help

Thx :)
10 answers Last reply
More about need picking mobo
  1. Go for DDR2
    Its cheaper than DDR3 + the difference isnt much.I say go for a good P35 board like
    ASUS P5K-E WIFI
    ASUS P5K
    GIGABYTE P35 DS3R
    GIGABYTE P35 DS3L

All of them are good
  2. Isaac_MM said:
    I am building my own rig for the first time, it will be a high end system with a qx9650 and a 9800gx2.

I still don't know if i am getting ddr2 or ddr3, but i am not going for SLI so i want a intel chipset mobo.

So what motherboard should i get if i am going ddr3? What about ddr2? Keep in mind this is my first mobo and i never overclocked before (but i want to learn) or worked with any BIOS, so i would like one that doesn't cause me much problems and is easy to work with.

I would really appreciate any help

Thx :)

if your overclocking why bother with the QX9650 when you can get a cheaper model that will be just as fast when overclocked?

dont touch anything from MSI, go with a P35 based board from ASUS or Gigabyte, like Maziar said.
  3. Maziar said:
    Go for DDR2
    Its cheaper than DDR3 + the difference isnt much.I say go for a good P35 board like
    ASUS P5K-E WIFI
    ASUS P5K
    GIGABYTE P35 DS3R
    GIGABYTE P35 DS3L

All of them are good

Not forgetting the six from Abit, none of which usually turn up in the 'help I have a problem' type posts ;)
  4. Also I would recommend an X38 motherboard for the better stability at higher FSB speeds. I realize it's only a few hundred MHz faster, but why not if your going to get a QX9xxx processor anyway
  5. yeah iforgot the ABIT IP35 PRO :D
  6. Maziar said:
    yeah iforgot the ABIT IP35 PRO :D

And there seems to be a new one that tipped up a little while ago the IP35 PRO XE, no idea how good, bad or expensive it is but it's a higher spec than my lowly IP35 that's for sure.

Check it out. http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IP35+Pro+XE&fMTYPE=LGA775&DEFTITLE=Y
  7. Maybe newer CPU support for the XE version ?
  8. Other than a 1600 FSB the specs look the same as the PRO, maybe I'm missing something. *shrugs*
  9. Maziar said:
    yeah iforgot the ABIT IP35 PRO :D

I still dont trust ABit :(

I still got a ABit BH6, and a BP6 :D :D :D
  10. Haven't seen the XE available anywhere yet. Has anyone else?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards