CPU for Virtualization

halcyon

Splendid
I've been running Virtual PC 2K7 on my E6850 with 8GB of RAM (full specs in sig, using Vista 64 as the host). I'm virtualizing for testing, eval., hobbying, etc. Performance has been...okay, no real complaints. However, I've heard that VMWare is much, much better from a performance perspective...so I've downloaded the eval and, yes, I see a lot to like (including better support for Linux).

My question is whether or not it would be worth the costs (considering performance) to :

1. Buy VMWare Workstation 6 for $190US (as opposed to use Virtual PC (which is free)
2. Buy a Q9450 and a new mobo* (approx. $600US)

Should I stick with the E6850 and Virtual PC or spring for the Q9450 and get VMWare 6? Would all around performance and virtualization be much much better with the ~$800 investment or is it a waste?

If this seems like a good idea any mobo suggestions (I don't want to spend more than $350 for a mobo).

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I think it depends on what you are doing with the VMs, if it is general experimentation, mail and file server type apps I doubt you will see much of a difference in performance.

I was in a similar situation not long ago and decided to build a separate box for running VMs. I ended up going for an inexpensive Intel motherboard with onboard graphics and a 2160 cpu. I am running VMware server which is free and similar to VMware workstation but doesn't support things like sound. It works great for Linux and Windows Server 2003 plus it is quiet and energy efficient so I don't mind leaving it on 24/7.

Building a second machine or buying an inexpensive Poweredge server from Dell might be a good option for you. You could easily build or buy a decent second system that would be perfect for VMs for under $600 and save your main machine for gaming etc.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
MicroCenter.Com has a REAL sweet deal on the Q9450 OEM.
I just bought one for $299.

Depending on cost, the Q6600 may be the best deal once the price cuts come in a couple weeks.

In my case, I want the cool operation in my office/personal server room :>