Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What happened to my proc?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 7, 2008 4:07:28 PM

Hey guys, I have a rather large problem. Last night I decided I was going to fully clean out my processor's heatsink and re-apply Arctic Silver. Well, right away things didn't go well. When I was trying to take off the heatsink, the processor came out right with it - cemented to the heatsink. It was dead-set on there. I took a credit card, some rubbing alcohol, and with patience it came off in a few minutes. After it came off, I cleaned it up, cleaned up the heatsink, re-applied it, etc. A pin was bent on the very top right corner so I bent it back into place using my finger. It fit into the slot with ease, I put the heatsink back on, etc. So then I turn on the computer after putting it all back together, and it doesn't post. I reset the computer, and then it started making a loud, kind of high pitched beeeeeeeep and it doesn't stop until I turn off the computer. I notice it keeps losing power after a few seconds. I took it all apart, put it all back together, and it does the same thing. And then I take it all apart again, put in my old 3700+ processor, and it boots normally.

What the hell did I do to my processor? Why won't it boot? What's with the beep noise?

More about : happened proc

April 7, 2008 4:20:12 PM

sounds like you broke the cpu, somehow, maybe the pin isnt making contact properly, or maybe the alcohol damaged it somehow, maybe its drunk?
a c 126 à CPUs
April 7, 2008 4:22:08 PM

The bent pin might have done more than you think. It sounds like that CPU is dead. It's dun killed him dead.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2008 4:25:17 PM

Check if you put the CPU the correct way.
April 7, 2008 4:26:37 PM

You cant really put it in the "wrong way". Unless your a spaz
a c 126 à CPUs
April 7, 2008 4:34:43 PM

I say you he dead.
April 7, 2008 5:52:00 PM

That doesn't really help guys. Bent pins are easily repaired and it really doesn't make a difference unless they snap completely. And rubbing alcohol is perfectly fine for processors. You can even clean the pins of the processor with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.

April 7, 2008 6:17:03 PM

Im guessing that your using a new enough proc that it has an IHS? Thats the only other thing, If you dont have the spreader, you may well have chiped an edge off the die. Did that to an old AthonXP2800+ I had, it was running toasty and I decided to clean it up to see if that would cool things down.

Was highly effective, stayed at room temperature after that, lol.

That being said, sounds like you have a fairly new processor, so you have to look at what happened:

#1: It worked before you did anyting.

#2: You forced it out of its socket and bent a pin

#3: Now it doesnt work, but you have verifyed that the mobo works.

All signs point to dead CPU mi amigo.
a c 126 à CPUs
April 7, 2008 6:23:28 PM

^^ Hence why I say you he dead.
April 7, 2008 6:29:00 PM

sounds like you will be either using the old 3700 or up-grading.
April 7, 2008 6:31:02 PM

It certainly does point to a dead CPU.
April 7, 2008 6:38:51 PM

dont put the credit card away you might be needing it. cha ching
April 7, 2008 6:47:07 PM

I broke pins on cpus in the past... and eithert it's broken for real or the processor/heatsink isn't fully/correctly inserted. Try to take it off (both heatsink and cpu) then back on. Sometimes when you break pins it works flawlessly, sometimes it's just enough to die.

Question: is alcohol safe to clean the processor? because the trick to remove the cpu from the heatsink when they stick together is to twist the cpu clockwise then counter-clockwise a few times then it will pop out eventually without use of any alcohol.

On some motherboard, if the heatsink is not making enough pressure it just won't post. Double-check the 12V 2x2 connector too. You may also have bent more pins by inserting it.

Hope it helped some
April 7, 2008 7:28:38 PM

You could see if a local shop will test your components for you. Might cost you 70 or 80 bucks but at least you'll know if you also fried your mobo. That is, if you can find someone who has the spares to test s939 components. In any case, it doesn't sound good - I feel your pain!
April 7, 2008 7:48:28 PM

hotdogmichigan said:

Question: is alcohol safe to clean the processor? because the trick to remove the cpu from the heatsink when they stick together is to twist the cpu clockwise then counter-clockwise a few times then it will pop out eventually without use of any alcohol.


The BEST trick to get a processor and heatsink separated is to run the machine for a few mins, then turn it off and remove the heatsink easily....
April 7, 2008 7:51:47 PM

piratepast40 said:
You could see if a local shop will test your components for you. Might cost you 70 or 80 bucks but at least you'll know if you also fried your mobo. That is, if you can find someone who has the spares to test s939 components. In any case, it doesn't sound good - I feel your pain!
creepster said:
And then I take it all apart again, put in my old 3700+ processor, and it boots normally.
If it works with his old CPU, but not with the one that was previously working before it was traumatized, then he doesn't need a shop to tell him what the problem is.

April 7, 2008 8:11:05 PM

I broke the crystal on my watch while pressing the back on after replacing the battery, so I whacked with a sledge-a-matic.
I upgraded.
April 7, 2008 8:11:57 PM

grieve said:
The BEST trick to get a processor and heatsink separated is to run the machine for a few mins, then turn it off and remove the heatsink easily....


Got me there that's a pretty neat trick. If I ever have to repair a friend's AMD then I'll try that :-)
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2008 8:34:57 PM

Could it have been ESD? :ouch:  never seen that happen in a while.
April 7, 2008 8:59:01 PM

Zorg said:
If it works with his old CPU, but not with the one that was previously working before it was traumatized, then he doesn't need a shop to tell him what the problem is.


OOps - missed the part about trying a different CPU - my bad!
April 7, 2008 8:59:27 PM

ESD?
April 8, 2008 6:54:52 PM

Electro Static Discharge. BTW sry to highjack this thread but i snapped a pin on my am2 cpu and I never tried it in another system, but is there a chance it works?
April 8, 2008 7:48:13 PM

gigman said:
Electro Static Discharge. BTW sry to highjack this thread but i snapped a pin on my am2 cpu and I never tried it in another system, but is there a chance it works?
It depends on which pin you broke. You will need to get the pinout for the AM2 CPU, not the 940, and see if that pin is used. Or, put it in a mobo and see if it works.
April 8, 2008 8:21:04 PM

Thats why I never bother to use AS5....over priced and welds the HS to the CPU.
I use the old white silicone grease for the seven units on my home game LAN (located in my profile) and they all run 4C (Orthos) over room air with a 50% OC on them.

Whenever they reach 6C over room air it's time to open the case's and clean out the cobwebs and dust!

April 8, 2008 8:28:53 PM

hotdogmichigan said:
Got me there that's a pretty neat trick. If I ever have to repair a friend's AMD then I'll try that :-)

Works with Intel also.
Another trick that works for those AS5 users is to use a handheld blow dryer to get the HS warmed up and use a easy twisting motion to work it lose.

The best thing is just to not use AS in the first place.
April 8, 2008 9:59:14 PM

no question your CPU is dead. My theory is if it isn't broke don't fix it.
April 8, 2008 10:04:04 PM

That same exact thing happened to me a couple of years back with my A64 3500+. The CPU was dead.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2008 10:16:15 PM

ZOldDude said:
Thats why I never bother to use AS5....over priced and welds the HS to the CPU.
I use the old white silicone grease for the seven units on my home game LAN (located in my profile) and they all run 4C (Orthos) over room air with a 50% OC on them.

Whenever they reach 6C over room air it's time to open the case's and clean out the cobwebs and dust!

WHAT?!?! Is this on Liquid cooling or air? Even then how cold is it where you live?!?!
a c 126 à CPUs
April 8, 2008 11:21:47 PM

Shadow703793 said:
WHAT?!?! Is this on Liquid cooling or air? Even then how cold is it where you live?!?!


I was about to ask the same thing. So if its 25c ambient then that means he runs them at 29c? When that is possible with a 50% OC then either hell froze over or he has a seceret cooling system leeching off of a iceburg he is not telling us about for cooling.....
!