Network adpaters fails after joining to domain

ddogg10000

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Hi all,

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section.

I have a very odd issue that I can not figure out with network adapters failing after joining machines to domain.

I have a Windows 2003 server. Joining Windows XP Pro works fine, but when I join (Windows XP Pro 64bit, Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit) to the domain their network adapters would fail. It would try to search for connection and never finds one. (This is both local area connection and wireless connection).

With Windows XP Pro 64bit I can get the network adapters to work with the steps below, but it would only work for a short while as it will fail again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Restart the computer.
2. When the BIOS information appears, press F8.
3. Select safemode with networking, and then press ENTER.
4. Use local Amind password to log on.
5. Click Start, and then click Run.
6. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
7. Locate the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
8. Right-click each key, and then click Delete.
9. Click Yes to confirm the deletion of each key.
10. Close Regedit.
11. Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in %winroot%\inf, and then open the file in Notepad.
12. Locate the [MS_TCPIP.PrimaryInstall] section.
13. Edit the Characteristics = 0xa0 entry and replace 0xa0 with 0x80.
14. Save the file, and then exit Notepad.
15. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
16. On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
17. In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
18. In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
19. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

Note This step will return you to the Local Area Connection Properties screen, but now the Uninstall button is available.
20. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Uninstall, and then click Yes.
21. Restart your computer, and then select SafeMode with Networking as mentioned in steps 2 - 4.
22. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
23. On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
24. In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
25. In the Copy Manufacturer's files from text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
26. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
27. Restart your computer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it something with my Group Policy? Where can I find out what policy controls the machines?

Also to add, before joining to my domain, the machines network works 100% fine, its only when I join the machine to the domain, and this is with IBM T400, T61p, T60.

Thanks all

4everit

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
1. What does it mean that network card fails? It shows up red cross? It doesn't repond? Explain this in details please.

2. As for GPO - you can check which GPO is applied by going into: start - run - cmd - gpresult

Also you can run rsop.msc to check if everything is applied properly.

Have you configured any GPO's in your AD?
By default there is only one - default domain policy and it shouldn't mess with your network cards.

What do you see in the faulty pc's logs?