Sign in with
Your question

build a 24/7 PC, nedd advice on parts.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
April 7, 2008 8:53:15 PM

OK thanks to Microsoft Dream spark, a get a sh** tonn of free development tools. *Yay*

but one that im quyite interested in is MS server 03 (08 will ve added to DS in time i think but as long as it works with vista and could care less.)

anyway , i have 4 PC's at my Home, they are currently on a workgroup but it a bit clumsy and now that i have this option availble i think i might dabble with the idea of creating a Domain.

anywho, as i dont pay the electricity bills, i want to make a server which uses as little power as possible, yet is capalbe of being a domain server + file server + a folder at home'er.

i current have this line up:
+Intel Pentium 'duel core' (rebrand or what?) E2160 [oh it also has to be dirt cheap :) ]
+512 DDR2-533 'elixer' [it has no local user so alot of memory isnt a must]
+Asus P5Kpl-vm g31 w/ Intel GMA graphics 3100, Micro ATX
+Foxconn TGLM-397 case w/ 350W PSU [no reaql power require, lower power is better - although i know a 500W PSU wont use 500W but no need to waste where its no needed.
+Western Digital WD5000AACS GP cavier 500Gb SATA II 16Mb
= £185 (call it $400)

really all it need is to be cheap and not cost allot to run.

really i would like less than 80W idel, 100W when folding at home (1 Core)

thanks for any input :) 

More about : build nedd advice parts

a b à CPUs
April 7, 2008 9:34:55 PM

looks good. :) . Try getting really cheap GPU (ie 7200) and 1GB DDR2 667 RAM if possible
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2008 9:36:32 PM

One more note, since this is a 24/7 make sure the PSU is good quality (Tire 3 and above). If OCing get a ArcticFreezer 7.
April 7, 2008 9:53:40 PM

no need for a cheap GPU, really GMA3100 ~ 7200, there is no real Graphic Processing, really.

I think the RAM speed isnt an issue, in fact lower Mhz is better for power saving but i think ill go for the gig like you recommended.

although i think your spot on about a decent PSU.
no Overclocking as that starts gobeling up the juice, in fact i might even undervolt (not underclock)
April 7, 2008 9:54:46 PM

on a futhernote, the Server proberly wont have even use the gpu, I will proberly rout through KVM over IP or Remote desktop, once setup.
April 7, 2008 10:42:47 PM

have u seen the new celeron dual cores? dirt cheap and probably more than capable for what you need
April 8, 2008 10:03:16 AM

i dont think i'll go a Celeron, really i think for the extra £10 for e2160 is worth it.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2008 12:59:50 PM

dobby said:
i dont think i'll go a Celeron, really i think for the extra £10 for e2160 is worth it.

I would dump the foxconn power supply inside the case and get a decent one..... Spend about 60 quid on psu alone....OCZ are good.

Choose Gigabyte over Asus for the motherboard if its gonna be 24/7 for a few extra quid it will be worth it...

Also for a few quid more get some OCZ ram with a head spreader on it...

Do not, repeat do not used a motherboard with a fan on it... Get one with head spreaders on the regulators, the north and south bridge as fans packup....

April 8, 2008 1:31:08 PM

the motherboard does not have any fans on it :) , and ill look into gigabyte, althoug i have always found asus to be reliable?

im not really sure that i need branded ram 'high performance' RAM from comanies like OCZ and corsiar, becasue if it need heat spreaders, then it's proberly bit to power hungry.

i took at Scan(.co.uk) and it seem as the best PSU to go for is the:
Enermax 82+ series. they have a 385W model (which my system proberly wont get anyware near using) which delivers 88% effiency at 20% -80% capacity.

I like i saidim not overclocking in fact proberly Undervolting.

i think that if im going to use a the Foxconn PSU ill get a different case, like the Asus TM982 MicroATX + it has rubber HDD mounts, to keep the HDD quite :) 

Since you recommend Gigabyte over Asus in the prie bracket, do you think this is a better option: Gigabyte GA-G31MF-S2
they are nearly identical except that this one has 4 RAM slots.

im using uATX becasue it has to go in my cupboard and like i said it not a performance machine
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2008 2:00:39 PM

dobby said:
the motherboard does not have any fans on it :) , and ill look into gigabyte, althoug i have always found asus to be reliable?

im not really sure that i need branded ram 'high performance' RAM from comanies like OCZ and corsiar, becasue if it need heat spreaders, then it's proberly bit to power hungry.

i took at Scan(.co.uk) and it seem as the best PSU to go for is the:
Enermax 82+ series. they have a 385W model (which my system proberly wont get anyware near using) which delivers 88% effiency at 20% -80% capacity.

I like i saidim not overclocking in fact proberly Undervolting.

i think that if im going to use a the Foxconn PSU ill get a different case, like the Asus TM982 MicroATX + it has rubber HDD mounts, to keep the HDD quite :) 

Since you recommend Gigabyte over Asus in the prie bracket, do you think this is a better option: Gigabyte GA-G31MF-S2
they are nearly identical except that this one has 4 RAM slots.

im using uATX becasue it has to go in my cupboard and like i said it not a performance machine

The higher the wattage and the less draw it has, makes the machine run cooler... Cool machines prolong life of components...

The difference between ocz with head spreaders to cheap ram is about a £10er... worth having because it keeps the ram cool...

Gigabyte make better boards at the moment, i would go for one of these... Infact i have never had a gigabyte board go pop on me so thats how good they are...

Go for it, its a good board for the price...

As far as the psu power output goes - get a 450 - 500 watt the price difference is minimal and if you pay more it will be quieter too.. my advise - get one with a 120 mm fan they run quieter... PSUS are always scrimped and scraped on, dont scrimp on this one...

Fans for cpus to - Intel stock fans seem to get clocked with dust easy, the larger the gap between the heat sink fans the better chance of not getting dust trapped in them.. I use artic cooling cpu fans and they cost about a tenner... Get one...

If its going in a cupboard, you wont open it much, or access it much.. Clean it out every 6 months with a air spray to remove dust residue.. about 6 quid a can will last you years...
!