Your question

New Mobo and CPU

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • CPUs
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 27, 2010 3:16:31 PM

I've installed a new mobo (Gigabyte 785 chipset) and cpu (Atrhlon II X2) in my current case, but need to keep all the info/data on my HDD. FYI...the mobo was fried and I was unable to backup any files.

I've read the sticky on how to do a repair install w/ XP. Is that what I need to do?

Should I install the drivers that came with the new mobo first then do the repair install. I'm a complete newbie here, so be gentle.

More about : mobo cpu

a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 4:12:19 PM

Yep. Get all the hardware installed. Then boot off the XP disc, and do the repair install. In that sticky, I have a link for a screenshot guide that may help.

Once you complete the repair, you should be able to boot fine. You may want to then back up your data, and do a full format and fresh install of windows.
m
l
July 27, 2010 11:56:22 PM

Thanks for the reply...but just to clarify I need to install the drivers that came with the mobo; then repair install XP.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 12:00:51 AM

You can't install the drivers first if the hard drive isn't booting. If you connect the hard drive, and it boots right into windows, you don't need to do the repair.

Sometimes the hard drive will boot on a new motherboard with no problem. Sometimes it won't. That's when the repair is needed. You would run the repair first. Once the repair finishes, and the hard drive boots into windows, then you would install the new motherboard drivers.
m
l
July 28, 2010 12:48:23 AM

I just noticed my xp disc is "system recovery cd/dvd" It doesn't give me the same options as described in the sticky. Is this disc just to wipe clean and start fresh?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 12:52:48 AM

Those are just to restore the computer back to factory settings.
m
l
July 28, 2010 1:32:04 AM

I should start a new thread for this, but how do you back up a hard drive you can't access, so I can use my recovery cd to install xp to recognize my new mobo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 1:35:46 AM

About the only way to do that, is to install it into another PC.

Have you tried to boot up? Some don't have a problem booting off a new motherboard.
m
l
July 28, 2010 1:55:39 AM

Yes, it gets to the black xp screen and you see the scroll meter thing on the bottom of the screen working then it doesnt boot and starts again

Would an external hard drive work

I'm currently using a older computer and the HDD connection is the older type not SATA; which is what my "new" system has.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 2:17:10 AM

There's not much you can do with the external hard drive. I don't think the recovery discs will work since you've change the motherboard. You can give it a try, it won't hurt anything. You would just need to disconnect the internal hard drive, and connect the external drive. If the external hard drive can be removed from the enclosure, connect it to the motherboard internally.
m
l
July 28, 2010 2:46:13 AM

I don't have an external hard drive, just wondering if there is a way to backup the files on my internal HD to an external without booting...then wipe my internal HDD clean and start over fresh with the recovery disk. Then transfer the files from external to the internal.

So right now what are my options to save the data on my HDD. If I take it to a cpu shot, how will they back up my files.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 2:53:24 AM

If you take it to a shop, they will install it as a slave drive in another PC, and pull the data off. Your programs will still be gone. They will probably charge you $60-$75 for this.

Your other option is to purchase a copy of XP to do a windows repair.

If you have a buddy with a PC, you can slave it in his PC, and pull the files off yourself. This is the cheapest solution.
m
l
July 28, 2010 11:57:50 AM

I have a spare cpu that I'm using now but it's the older HDD connector. Isn't there an adaptor cord that I can use, so my SATA drive can install into this older cpu...whats the name of the cord I need to buy?
m
l
July 28, 2010 11:02:27 PM

How would the Vantech adapter cord work? Like this....

Remove SATA HDD from unbootable cpu

Plug SATA HDD into adapter cord

Plug other end to USB port of working cpu

Then copy files from SATA HDD to IDE HDD

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 11:06:25 PM

You got it.
m
l
!