How can i over clock a Q6600 and what cooling items would i need?

wdlax11

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Ok i have a Gateway GT5636E. Its one year old.

I have 4 Gb of DDR2 ram, A vision Tek Radeon X1550 Series. The processor is currently running At 2.4 GHz.

What type of cooling would i need, and what should i change in the settings to over clock it?

Thanks

G

No, you'll probably need a new board to really overclock that thing....

if you REALLY want to overclock you can get a phase change setup that puts your cpu in the negatives :D

But definitely avoid all pre-made water cooling units

If your going to do water cooling do A LOT of research first and you'll realize how much those pre-made ones suck.... a typical really good water cooling loop will run you close to 400 for a brand new setup and over that depending on what all you want to do with it

if you decide to get a new board i recommend this one as it can almost always get a 500 fsb - before hand though make sure you look at overclocking stickies and threads

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358&Tpk=ud3p

wdlax11

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
soo dont over clock it unless i buy a new motherbord? ok got it. I think i will check that one out.. Can is support a Tv tuner and stuff?

Priv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
You do not have a nvidia card anyway so why would you go SLI? Also 570i chipset is really bad with overclocking I've heard. The motherboard Thorgrom linked is a good one. It's worth those extra 40 bucks.