BSOD when using 4GB Ram

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Blue Screen
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Memory
May 3, 2008 3:49:13 PM

Hey.

I recently built my new computer and everything is working great.

Exept I had to use only one memory stick. I have 2x 2GB Dual Channel, but I had to take out one during Vista installation because I got a BSOD.

If I try to put it in now, I get a BSOD when booting Windows...

I have tried to put in the right information in BIOS (5-5-5-15, 1.9V, etc).

Still BSOD.

Can anyone help me?

I hate using only 2GB when I bought 4GB....

I use 32 bit vista, I know I can only use around 3.5GB

This is my pc:

Abit IP35-E
GEIL Value DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz 4GB (2x2GB)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MSI GeForce 9600GT

Nothing is OC'ed exept my graphics card

Help me please :S

More about : bsod 4gb ram

a b } Memory
May 3, 2008 5:43:03 PM

One stick may be defective. Download a program called MEMTEST and use it to test each stick of RAM within Windows individually.

Also check in the BIOS to see if the RAM is getting enough voltage. Typically it should be 1.8v or 1.9v, but it could be as high as 2.1v depending on the RAM. Check the RAM's packaging or go back to the website from where you bought it to get that info.

Chances are you have a defective stick of RAM and you should exchange it for another pair.

If both sticks of RAM are good, then it could be the RAM slot itself is bad. If so, then try placing in the other two free RAM slots on the motherboard.
May 3, 2008 6:00:50 PM

jaguarskx said:
One stick may be defective. Download a program called MEMTEST and use it to test each stick of RAM within Windows individually.

You mean memtest86+?

I have to burn it to a disc and boot from it, right? And how long does a memtest usually take?

jaguarskx said:

Also check in the BIOS to see if the RAM is getting enough voltage. Typically it should be 1.8v or 1.9v, but it could be as high as 2.1v depending on the RAM. Check the RAM's packaging or go back to the website from where you bought it to get that info.

On the ram itself it says 1.8V, but I've tried both 1.9 and 2.0v

jaguarskx said:

Chances are you have a defective stick of RAM and you should exchange it for another pair.

If both sticks of RAM are good, then it could be the RAM slot itself is bad. If so, then try placing in the other two free RAM slots on the motherboard.

I have tried the two other slots, still the same error.
May 3, 2008 6:15:18 PM

First, if the sticks say 1.8v, use 1.8v and see if it gets rid of the problem.

Yes, he means memtest86+. You'll make a boot disk, correct. It takes as long as you feel you want it to take - the test keeps looping. Run it for at least a few hours, or until you're comfortable that there aren't any errors going to pop up on you. Usually I just let it run overnight.
May 3, 2008 6:21:18 PM

Okay.

Should I run it with my other ram? Because the one I use now works...
May 3, 2008 6:59:44 PM

The first ram is done now, no errors. Gonna test the 2nd one now.

(I'm on my laptop atm)
May 3, 2008 7:15:48 PM

Okay done. My 2nd ram gave alot of errors
May 4, 2008 1:22:03 PM

RMA the stick if you can. See, wasn't that easy?
!