Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Reveals Plan to Cut 10 Percent of Work Force

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 8, 2008 5:10:05 AM

Thats not really a surprise, I'm thinking that jobs cuts are going to be coming to everyone soon. Not just AMD or Intel.
April 8, 2008 5:46:22 AM

they should start with Hector!
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2008 5:50:16 AM

Unfortunately I agree. I dont remember reading the article last year about Intel restructuring and laying off 10,000 workers. I must have been asleep when that was published...
April 8, 2008 9:11:39 AM

englandr753 said:
Unfortunately I agree. I dont remember reading the article last year about Intel restructuring and laying off 10,000 workers. I must have been asleep when that was published...


Oh, they did all right.

Ask anybody in intel what SET means and you'll get rewarded with a litnany of curse words. However, I do agree with Otellini -- Intel did it from a position of strength. AMD is doing it from a position of desperation. I can only hope that they don't cut too much meat from the bone on the layoffs.

While I will personally end up paying off my mortgage if AMD goes down, it is NOT a good thing for the industry, and, on a engineer-to-engineer level -- I'm rooting for them to turn it around.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2008 12:24:32 PM

This is bad news ... I hope the staff comcerned all get work quickly.

Isn't it great how when management at the top screw up for 4 successive quarters they still pull million dollar bonuses while the staff who quietly work their guts out keeping the company afloat and the customers happy get laid off.

Hector ... you and your team at the top can "bite my shiny metal ass".

AMD;s management team rate as the worst bunch of tossers ever to run a company.

Someone list them below please ...

Let them bask in some forum glory ...

I wouldn't employ them to clean my toilet.
April 8, 2008 2:01:47 PM

reynod...I don't think I usually agree with you, but there's a first time for everything.

How Hector can justify making more than double what Intel's CEO makes in a year while AMD is struggling is beyond me. Although it may not be a fair comparison, as Paul's compensation is actually relatively low compared to most other big business CEOs.

If a company is managed badly enough, the CEOs do get kicked out. But at that point, 20-40% of the workforce has either been laid off or had their benefits (I included raises here as a benefit :) ) reduced. Add on that the departing CEO might not be able to afford his maid or pool boy, so they usually get a hefty compensation package. "You screwed up really big...so here's more money than you'd make in the next 10 years if you actually did anything. Bye!" I don't think AMD's alone in how they treat their CEOs vs how they treat their cattle...I mean employees.

The only silver lining here is that AMD may be able to become stable and profitable by cutting their costs. It's completely earth shattering to those who are getting cut, but to investors, it's money in the bank. :( 
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 8, 2008 2:18:54 PM

wolverinero79 said:
reynod...I don't think I usually agree with you, but there's a first time for everything.

How Hector can justify making more than double what Intel's CEO makes in a year while AMD is struggling is beyond me. Although it may not be a fair comparison, as Paul's compensation is actually relatively low compared to most other big business CEOs.

If a company is managed badly enough, the CEOs do get kicked out. But at that point, 20-40% of the workforce has either been laid off or had their benefits (I included raises here as a benefit :) ) reduced. Add on that the departing CEO might not be able to afford his maid or pool boy, so they usually get a hefty compensation package. "You screwed up really big...so here's more money than you'd make in the next 10 years if you actually did anything. Bye!" I don't think AMD's alone in how they treat their CEOs vs how they treat their cattle...I mean employees.

The only silver lining here is that AMD may be able to become stable and profitable by cutting their costs. It's completely earth shattering to those who are getting cut, but to investors, it's money in the bank. :( 


You are right on 100%. Look at Citi. Their last CEO messed up big time in certain areas and BAM!!!!!! He leaves and gets more money than a small company could dream of making in 20+ years. I think it was $125 million+ stocks?

And don't forget how their investors are treated. They are the gold lining to the company so whatever makes them money is what the company will do. It kinda sucks in the end doesn't it?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 8, 2008 2:35:45 PM

jimmysmitty said:
so whatever makes them money is what the company will do. It kinda sucks in the end doesn't it?
that's capitalism for ya. lol
April 8, 2008 7:28:34 PM

englandr753 said:
Unfortunately I agree. I dont remember reading the article last year about Intel restructuring and laying off 10,000 workers. I must have been asleep when that was published...

If you worked at Intel you would remember it painfully well.

To be honest, I'm surprised AMD didn't do this sooner. When the company's in the crapper, the fastest way to improve the bottom line is cut expenses - and the biggest expenses are usually employees. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

To all those affected - here's hoping you move on to bigger and better things.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 8, 2008 11:27:11 PM

sonoran said:
If you worked at Intel you would remember it painfully well.

To be honest, I'm surprised AMD didn't do this sooner. When the company's in the crapper, the fastest way to improve the bottom line is cut expenses - and the biggest expenses are usually employees. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

To all those affected - here's hoping you move on to bigger and better things.


Well if you calculate the expenses for the employees they are cutting, usually th lower end area, you could save a hell of a lot more money by cutting the CEO and higher ranking peoples salaries and not giving them outrageous can buy a freakin country bonuses.

But thats just my opinion.
April 8, 2008 11:30:05 PM

It's the arabs buying up amd. They want american jobs to go away.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2008 3:10:34 AM

I think the arabs and the chinese are in this together... ;) 
April 9, 2008 3:14:40 AM

I feel bad for the workers. The economy is in the crapper and it's always tough. If AMD was able to execute more they could be taking market share and hiring.

I agree with others that we could very well see Intel cuts too. The technology sector isn't exactly hot right now.
April 9, 2008 3:32:08 AM

Quote:
I agree with others that we could very well see Intel cuts too.


Intel has been cutting jobs. It just hasn't been as highly publicized since Intel is a much larger company and thus the staff reductions haven't amounted to as large a fraction of the total workforce.

Here's the link, check out the third paragraph:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/07/amd_axes_10_of_its_staff/

Intel has had to cut 16,000 positions over the past year. The whole semiconductor industry is hurting right now.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 9, 2008 4:00:35 AM

surrealdeal said:
It's the arabs buying up amd. They want american jobs to go away.


Don't even get me started. CitiBanks 2 largest shareholders are from the middle east. It makes me go crazy thiking my company makes them even richer while I set there making nothing. Pisses me off too that I work my ass off and they inherate a country (i.e. Prince yadda yadda) or a huge oil business and buy up companies left and right.
April 9, 2008 5:05:02 AM

Maybe a bunch of the employees that were laid off can go work at Intel, who is doing pretty well right now. That'd be kind of ironic. I really don't think they should have done this, though, at least not in these numbers. Maybe they should decrease the salaries of the top brass.
April 9, 2008 8:09:45 AM

If they start firing engineers from the GPU side of things at AMD I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them end up at Intel or Nvidia.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2008 11:00:00 AM

Inside a couple of years the Arabs and Chinese will own everything.

The illusion of an affluent and stable "Western" world is nothing more than a shell now.

The enemy is defeating us on the modern equivalent of the battlefield ... the finance sector.

Interestingly enough the Japanese started this ... shortly after WW2.

Wait till your corporate charters are written in another language first ... and your training videos have English subtitles ... then you will know it is too late.

:) 
April 9, 2008 12:16:26 PM

Simple solution to take financial power away from the middle east, stop buying their oil.

China's going to be more difficult. Right now their labor is really cheap. While we might say we couldn't live off of what a factor worker in China makes, they might consider it a good job with decent pay.

It will take a while, but China will probably start going through all the things that we went through from being an industrial economy, and then slowly evolving.
April 9, 2008 12:57:38 PM

Mandrake_ said:
If they start firing engineers from the GPU side of things at AMD I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them end up at Intel or Nvidia.


I believe most of the redundancies will be made on the CPU side of things.



Additionally both GPUs and chipsets are performing well, so it doesn't make sense to cut back in those areas.



I see Fudzilla says the RV770 is already in production and should be at Computex.
April 9, 2008 12:58:23 PM

LANGUAGE
April 9, 2008 1:04:11 PM

Amiga500 said:
And start building nuclear power plants.




But the LANGUAGE tree-huggers won't let you. :sarcastic: 


How about not fighting pointless wars in areas that have key pipelines going through them *cough*Afganistan*cough*.

Word, Playa.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2008 1:26:41 PM

Diminishing resources .... look at all of the wars over the last few years.





April 9, 2008 1:40:37 PM

spud said:
How about not fighting pointless wars in areas that have key pipelines going through them *cough*Afganistan*cough*.

Word, Playa.



Well....



The US need to be in Iraq to ensure the oil is sold in US dollars to keep the US economy afloat - or at least present a good bucket for bailing water out of the sinking ship that is the economy at the moment.


Indeed, its probably in the interests of Washington not to build nuc plants to disguise this under other reasons.
April 9, 2008 2:10:34 PM

All these multiple degreed highly educated idoits are running the economy/country. It almost looks like a bunch of high school drop outs are running everything. Maybe a drop out would actully run the country/econmy better? I am not really impressed with all these people. I mean look at Condi Rice they were going to name an oil tanker after her then it got to much attention and they did not because of the bad PR it would cause; also look at Wall Street, they love making the money for themselves but then they whine like a bunch of girly men when they loose money and demand a bail out because of there own greed. Private profits and socialized losses will destroy any country. These people should be put against the walls of there Mcmansions and shot.
:::::steam prsssure released::::
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 9, 2008 2:45:38 PM

spud said:
How about not fighting pointless wars in areas that have key pipelines going through them *cough*Afganistan*cough*.

Word, Playa.


Or we could not buy foreign made products and drive those companies out of our market. Products like Sony, Toshiba and so on. The Chinese made goods are harder to get away from. But if we stop buying foregin products and only American based company, it would boost their revenue and in turn our economy.

Oil is going to be a bit hard to get away from as well. But the car companies are trying other methods. Like Fords FFV's that can use gas or ethonal. Same with GMC. And fuelcell cars. I know for a fact that Ford has a Focus Fuelcell that they are testing in 30 countries right now.

Wars are bad yes cuz they cause death and so on. One good thing is a war does help the economy in some ways as defense contractors get money and can create jobs. More jobes = more money = better economy.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2008 3:15:45 PM

Funny you bring up gas. Heres some interesting info for you to start your boycott:

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies
are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle
Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell.......................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway.. 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco...........................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If
you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
(Oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair................0 barrels

B P/Phillips...........0 barrels

Hess........................0 barrels

ARC0....................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and
each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are
importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas
Buyers..

Total barrels purchased from the middle east: 542,387,000
Total dollar amount spent: $54,238,700,000.00




Well, that looks like a lot of suicide bomber equipment to me. Maybe we could be smarter and support our troops and defeat the enemy from an economy standpoint to shorten the war. Our government does make stupid decisions but we are as stupid for buying oil from the middle east as customers. If you ask 10 customers I would be surprised if 1 out of those 10 would know where thier gas supplier buys their oil.


Use this info to make your decision on where to fill up from now on, and be sure to tell several friends and have them to tell several friends too. Word of mouth is still a good tool...
April 9, 2008 3:40:34 PM

Yeah, but it's been these wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that are causing our countries economy to go further down the crapper. US is losing credibility because of it. Not to mention the more money we have to borrow, the bigger the debt the country has, which is causing the value of the dollar to plummet.

I could go into a lot more about whats wrong with our economy, but that tends to cause very heated debates.
April 9, 2008 3:49:57 PM

englandr753:

Can you post the source(s) of your info?
April 9, 2008 4:11:35 PM

jimmysmitty said:
More jobes = more money = better economy.


= more taxes

Wars are not a magic solution to fixing the economy
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 9, 2008 5:20:40 PM

MrManO1 said:
= more taxes

Wars are not a magic solution to fixing the economy


I never said they were. I said they help to boost the economy since they create jobs. Where do you think the boom after WW2 came from?

Overall its interesting how we have to borrow money from other countries when they have borrowed as well. Well then again we never got any return.

But either way the best way to help the economy is as I said. Buy American companies products and not foregin products. Instead of a Honda get a Chevy. Instead of Sony get, RCA?(not sure on this one). Thats the best way to help the economy is put money back into the companies that can create jobs here.
April 9, 2008 5:57:31 PM

jimmysmitty said:
But either way the best way to help the economy is as I said. Buy American companies products and not foregin products. Instead of a Honda get a Chevy. Instead of Sony get, RCA?(not sure on this one). Thats the best way to help the economy is put money back into the companies that can create jobs here.

That's been said a million times before but it won't work. Here's why; people, when left to themselves, will crap on their neighbors when they aren't looking just to save some money. Why do they do this? Simple; moral decay and fear. The crappers are the people that feel somehow entitled to all the best without sacrifice. Very few generations understand sacrifice and the ones that did are pushing up daisies.
Self-entitlement is what is bring down the US economy. The Regan years did some amazing things but one of the long term back-lashes are our feeling of being "better" and more self deserving then people in the rest of the world. Here we are complaining about some AMD layoffs when even those being laid off have a quality of life 10 fold better than 90% of the world's population! I don't feel bad for anybody except those that work hard every day, can still smile, and make a fraction of what our custodial jobs pay.
The only thing that will turn this economy around is when people start realizing they need less and that less is more. Sure there will be rich people around, but who cares!!! Through out history there have always been people grossly overpaid, they aren't immune to anything! They get sick, they die, they have gold-diggers as wives, they have people stealing from them everyday, they do NOT live a "great" life. So everybody should just shut up about the super rich and just not buy ANY of their product no matter how much you "think" you need that new processor. It's complete bunk. Corp America has brain washed a lot of people into thinking they need the latest and greatest when in reality that's just marketing. Look past all the BS and you'll notice that for 98% of the work you all do all day, it could be done on an old OLD processor.
Ok, so rant over. Get off your duffs and stop wimpering about lay-offs and the crooked rich. Nobody was complaining about their CEO's pay when they were employed by them!
Get a real job working hard that gives you a feeling of self-satisfaction. Don't just get the job because it lets you buy more crap. You'll always be playing catch-up. Take advantage of your FRIENDS stuff. I personally have a friend that has just about every video game console under the sun. He's also a movie buff so what do I do when I feel like playing a video game? That's right, I call him up and he's elated that somebody wants to come over. Do it more often and you'll save tons of money, feel much better about yourself, and get to play video games for free ;) 
April 9, 2008 6:15:35 PM

Amiga500 said:
Well....



The US need to be in Iraq to ensure the oil is sold in US dollars to keep the US economy afloat - or at least present a good bucket for bailing water out of the sinking ship that is the economy at the moment.


Indeed, its probably in the interests of Washington not to build nuc plants to disguise this under other reasons.


LoL don't worry the federal reserve... I mean the world bank will bail your nation out.

Btw there is oil in other countries that don't hate your nation like Canada for instance. Well up here American has become a slur like Canadian down in the states, high energy costs and high fuel costs and eveyone is pointing to your stupid warmongering president which in turn America in general. Things are changeing up here and with continued finacial pressure Canada will be just like Venezuela.
Word, Playa.
April 9, 2008 6:22:00 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Or we could not buy foreign made products and drive those companies out of our market. Products like Sony, Toshiba and so on. The Chinese made goods are harder to get away from. But if we stop buying foregin products and only American based company, it would boost their revenue and in turn our economy.

Oil is going to be a bit hard to get away from as well. But the car companies are trying other methods. Like Fords FFV's that can use gas or ethonal. Same with GMC. And fuelcell cars. I know for a fact that Ford has a Focus Fuelcell that they are testing in 30 countries right now.

Wars are bad yes cuz they cause death and so on. One good thing is a war does help the economy in some ways as defense contractors get money and can create jobs. More jobes = more money = better economy.


Problem is almost nothing is made in America now its all outsourced to asia, side note have you ever seen the trade dificiet with China? Your people have dug themselves into a hole when China decides to the pull the stop button and ask for their money your nation with come to a complete and utter hault, something which is needed to get your people back to reality and not the CNN Fox News reality they live in now.

More money more jobs for Americans eh, typical American attitude if its bad for them and good for me its good all around. Oh well your pray to the all mighty buck and I dont pray.

Word, Playa.
April 9, 2008 7:30:30 PM

Uh, can we stfu with the politics and talk about, like, CPUs and stuff? Seriously?
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 9, 2008 7:51:15 PM

spud said:
Problem is almost nothing is made in America now its all outsourced to asia, side note have you ever seen the trade dificiet with China? Your people have dug themselves into a hole when China decides to the pull the stop button and ask for their money your nation with come to a complete and utter hault, something which is needed to get your people back to reality and not the CNN Fox News reality they live in now.

More money more jobs for Americans eh, typical American attitude if its bad for them and good for me its good all around. Oh well your pray to the all mighty buck and I dont pray.

Word, Playa.



Don't forget that we are all in this together. What happens with the US economy happens to effect the world as well. And fact of the matter is that the whole sub prime thing has yet to hit the other countries and it will.

Also you happen to purchse thoes goods made in China and other contries. No country is any different and self sufficient except maybe China. Even Japans companies are starting to have their products made in China/India. My last, and last as in never again will I buy them due to cheapness, pair of Sony headphones were made in China.

Oh and one little note. Please don't start on the President. I have no need for peoples opinions as thats what they are. Everyone has a different opinion. And personally I get sick of people from other countries that talk about how my contry is run and what we should do and this and that when their country has its own problems.

As for the original issue, it sucks. Instead of cutting the higher ups salaries and bonuses they cut hard working peoples jobs. I bet you will see some disgruntled ex AMD employee working for Intel or something.
April 10, 2008 12:15:06 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Don't forget that we are all in this together. What happens with the US economy happens to effect the world as well. And fact of the matter is that the whole sub prime thing has yet to hit the other countries and it will.

Also you happen to purchse thoes goods made in China and other contries. No country is any different and self sufficient except maybe China. Even Japans companies are starting to have their products made in China/India. My last, and last as in never again will I buy them due to cheapness, pair of Sony headphones were made in China.

Oh and one little note. Please don't start on the President. I have no need for peoples opinions as thats what they are. Everyone has a different opinion. And personally I get sick of people from other countries that talk about how my contry is run and what we should do and this and that when their country has its own problems.

As for the original issue, it sucks. Instead of cutting the higher ups salaries and bonuses they cut hard working peoples jobs. I bet you will see some disgruntled ex AMD employee working for Intel or something.


In it together I fail to see how if the US tanks Canada Mexico EU and Asia will be affected, China in the next 5-10 years will surpass the US in economic activity, and since the US trade deficit is so great to China I see only moderate economic changes other than US products being dirt cheap and the price of oil coming down a bit. It's not like the rest of the world isn't making money.

Well then your country shouldn’t be voting in warmongers that think they need to ensure US interests by invading non-threating nations for oil and political influence through a large army and naval presence.

Its business I don’t care when Intel cuts jobs why would I care if AMD cuts jobs? It's what happens when your entire debt based economy has a slow down in activity.

Word, Playa.
April 10, 2008 1:12:38 AM

Because of the US economy tanks, who is going be buying all the stuff that the chinese are sending over here? Who's going to be buying all the Oil, and medicines that are made in Canada and exported to the US? When these other countries lose one of the main consumers of their products what happens to the economies of those countries?

What you don't realize is that the US can produce enough Oil and other products to support itself. Just as Canada, China, the EC, and the middle east can. But, which way do you think is more profitable for the governments of these countries? Keep the products and commodities in house? Or sell them at a higher price to companies or governments of another country?

Not to mention if the economy completely tanks, you've got a ton of people who'll probably rebel and then you have different factions in control of some of the largest stores of Nukes in the world.
April 10, 2008 3:20:30 AM

Quote:
Uh, can we stfu with the politics and talk about, like, CPUs and stuff? Seriously?


I second that. Come on people. Is there really any need to be bashing each others' governments?
April 10, 2008 5:20:41 AM

Sorry, just have to chime in here quickly on the oil debate. If the oil supply flowing out of the middle east stopped, the world would undoubtedly be plunged into global economic caos. There would need to be an sustainable and viable alternative energy source in place, with profits larger than oil companies currently enjoy. The oil lobby is MASSIVE, and oil companies aren't going to roll over and die that easy.
Obviously it is an extremely complex situation, and turning the tap off from the mideast isn't possible. The infrastructure required to become energy independent is enormous and likely cost outside of the trillions, will take decades, and we haven't even started.
If the oil companies aren't filthy rich enough by now, they will be swimming in mountains of wealth in the future.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2008 6:01:20 AM

Everyone has opinions and I can respect that. Things arent as good as they could be in any country and do you know why?

Because it is ran by people that have agendas and the power they have being in those positions make it to where its more important to do things that will benefit the government more than it will directly benefit the people.

That is the case anywhere in any country.

The same thing that will rip the US apart will destroy many other countries. That is the catering to foreigners and disregarding the culture of our own country. I do believe that people should have the right to practice what they believe in freely but it shouldnt make it to where you cant practice what you believe in as a native in your own country to keep from insulting the minorities that move into our country.

This is happening worldwide and not just in the US.

I could go on but I know some of you techies want to get back to the technology stuff... ;) 
April 10, 2008 10:21:01 AM

snarfies1 said:
Uh, can we stfu with the politics and talk about, like, CPUs and stuff? Seriously?


It is just as depressing as talking about 2,000 people getting made redundant.


Might as well have it in this thread than ruin a 'real' CPU debate IMO.
April 10, 2008 10:26:46 AM

englandr753 said:

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.


You want to be very careful there.

Because people like Rupert Murdoch says he is a dictator who hates Americans, does not make him either a dictator, or a man that hates Americans.




- If he was a dictator, he is a very poor one considering his motion in the referendum on changing the country's consistution failed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7125689.stm

Surely any good dictator would have 1. Not bothered with a vote or 2. Staged any result.




- If he hated Americans, why would he try to get cheaper oil to the poorer in the US?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/aug/25/venezuela.u...



a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 10, 2008 2:39:13 PM

Mathos said:
Because of the US economy tanks, who is going be buying all the stuff that the chinese are sending over here? Who's going to be buying all the Oil, and medicines that are made in Canada and exported to the US? When these other countries lose one of the main consumers of their products what happens to the economies of those countries?

What you don't realize is that the US can produce enough Oil and other products to support itself. Just as Canada, China, the EC, and the middle east can. But, which way do you think is more profitable for the governments of these countries? Keep the products and commodities in house? Or sell them at a higher price to companies or governments of another country?

Not to mention if the economy completely tanks, you've got a ton of people who'll probably rebel and then you have different factions in control of some of the largest stores of Nukes in the world.


Verbatum. In retrospect, after Septembe 11th 2001 when our economy and market took a huge beating what happened to Japans market? Theirs started to take the same beating. If the US falls a lot of companies world wide lose a major area of sales.

Dude the president is not a warmonger. A warmonger is Hitler. One who starts a war to take over and continues into multiple areas wanting everything for themselves.

Man this gets annoying. All these people in other countries talking trash about the US. Its funny when they have their own problems to sort out.

Anywho. AMD's cuts are expected but they still should have just cut Ruiz and saved more money.
April 10, 2008 3:27:01 PM

I agree, entitlement, and people putting worth on things they don't really need is what is ruining the country. It's obvious that our economy is now proped up on things like video games, tech innovation, ect. It's why I'm going into video games. I'm creative, that market is booming, it's a no brainer. Seriously, though, something has to be done with these guys on Wallstreet, they're out of control... And we need to keep, if not higher, the inheritance and capital gains tax. We created people like George Bush Jr, and I'd hate to see what the spoiled brats of my generation are going to be like. The problem is everyone's just after the short term greed, and the people with all the money control it all, while the people of merit, the people making the money for the rich assholes just get kicked around.

Oh, and we need to be investing as much money as possible into nano-materials so we can start harnessing the massive energy of the sun directly.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2008 3:56:02 PM

We dont need to increase inheritance tax. 40-45% already! Come on! This mentality is a big part of the problem now, raise, raise, raise taxes. Who do you think gets hit the hardest? The middle class working people that is over 80% of the work force. Walk into your local hospital and tell that janitor that is making 28,000 a year that when his dad dies you think the government needs to get 60-70% of his inheritance. Hes likely to chase you out of the building.

The real answer is fair tax. If you have all of the visitors and illegal immigrants exposed to this then we can get the people who are evading taxes to pay them when they decide to make a purchase.

The other real answer is to reduce, hear me clearly, reduce government spending. Yes folks, I said it, control and reduce government spending. That is truly the largest hole in our budget.

Im all about getting this thread back to the original topic but its too hard for me to read it and not respond to something that doesnt make sense.


Acagold, are you a 20 year old tree hugger? It sure sounds like it...
April 10, 2008 4:01:27 PM

Why do people talk about greed as if it's only a problem the extremely rich have?
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2008 4:07:00 PM

Because so many opinionated younger generation people that have no idea are grasping at straws an believing everything thier professor force feeds into their spongy little heads.

This new generation needs to be turned over someones knees. What it will take to get people back into reality is a true devastating terrorism attack and get back to old school beliefs that built this country to what it is today.

Too many people growing up with no clue of reality because of their romper room mentality.
!