May 1, 2008
Hi All,

specs
EP35-DS3L
E8400 OC @ 3.6Ghz
4GB Patriot 6400
9600GT 512Mb DDR3
Windows XP Pro

So I had had my system OC and stable for the last couple months at 3.6Ghz. I decided to OC my video card with RivaTuner2.11. I had successful OC on the card during the first boot, ran 3Dmark three or four times. The first time I rebooted after installing RivaTuner my computer got to the BIOs, then shutdown and rebooted, resetting ALL of my Bios to the defualt. I had my stable 3.6Ghz settings saved in the Bios, but it still would not boot at those previous specs. I booted in default and and removed RivaTuner, and went back to my saved Bios specs, still no go. At closer observation I noticed that my CPU voltage in my pre-set was set lower than what had originally saved. I also noticed a few other Bios settings had been changed and somehow saved to my 3.6Ghz configuration. So I went back and tried to get them all reset (should be easy enough, its a simply OC for the E8400), but for the life of me it won't boot at any OC settings!

Has anyone else had this problem with RivaTuner? Did I cause some MOBO damage in the video card OC that isn't letting me OC anymore?

Thanks,

Josh

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Doesnt sound like a problem with Riva tuner, more likey a OC on the CPU that has failed. Riva Tuner is only a program, it did not blow your MB. But if you put in a OC that the system couldnt handle , YOU could have messed up the MB.

montanabay

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I was posing the question, not just blaming the software. My OC was super basic and has been running 24/7 with no goofs for the last couple months, I thought it a little coincidental that it failed on the first reboot after installing and using the software, that reasoning is why I'm inquiring on this forum with that of a question.

Does the software change the frequency of the core, shader, and memory clocks without voltage manipulation? Does it actually change the memory card BIOS on the fly (adjustments do not seem to require restarting, like they do with a MOBO).

What about the fan settings? I noticed that my SMART Fan was saved to enabled when I re-set my 3.6Ghz BIOS, the EP35 does not like to OC with this enabled, but even after disabling it it would not boot @ 3.6..

Anyways, maybe I'll reinstall my card drivers and flash the newest beta for the MOBO.

Thanks,

Josh

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Riva tuner doesnt make changes to the Vidcards BIOS, it makes changes to the drivers. If I where in your shoes, I would boot into the BIOS(computer) and set everything to the way it came and then try starting you overclock a little at a time and see. If you have restore, you could go back to before you installed and used Riva Tuner and see if that will help.