SATA ----> IDE conversion?

kisner33

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
hey all, my old p.o.s. WD HD finally *** the bed, so I went and bought a new seagate barracuda which is SATA. Problem is, my board is IDE. Is there anyway I can convert this to work with my mobo? Keep in mind, I won't be able to install any 3rd party drivers as I'm going to have to reinstall windows. Any suggetsions ASIDE from just buying an IDE drive?

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
They make pci-slot sata controller cards, newegg lists them with the raid cards. Depending on your version of windows you may not need to have drivers on hand for setup, but they typically include a cd in case.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

That won't work because he needs to go from a SATA HDD to IDE not IDE to SATA!!!

The one directly above is the wrong one.

Ignatowski makes a good point.

If I were you I'd look around for an IDE drive. You can get a 500GB WD for about $99 CDN or $85 US, possibly cheaper.

The IDE2SATA would negate any advantage SATA drives might have such as NCQ or highspeed burst cache. The SATA Controller might be difficult to get working properly.

Again, I say get a regular IDE drive while you can still find a suitable one as they're disappearing.