TByc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i am trying to connect my maxtor IDE 60 GB HD using USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA converter cable to achieve fast speed but as i do it bios shows "none" in primary master.can someone tell me how to get rid of this problem still be able to make it work.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have an IDE drive and are using a IDE/SATA converter, the BIOS does not know it started out as an IDE drive. It only knows there is a SATA drive attached. There is NO Master or Slave in SATA because each SATA port only supports one drive. I seems you are looking in the BIOS at the settings for an IDE drive connected as the Master on the IDE Primary channel. Well, there is none! Your old drive will be found as a SATA drive somewhere else.

TByc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
thanks for replies,this HD is the booting HD,& works fine when hooked to IDE port on MOBO which is the original connection of it,but i bought that "sabrent USB2.0 to sata/ide cable"which claimed to make your IDE HD to run at faster rate(USB 480 mbps).but as i do that "operating system not found "error pops up on black screen & nothing happens afterwards.On the box it says it's plug n play.i am connecting the one end which is female pin IDE to male pin IDE on HD & other end of cable to a USB port on CPU.&using the molex cable of the power supply to supply power to HD.I don't know where am i wrong?

TByc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
can someone tell what's the proper way to use "USB to SATA/IDE cable converter".can it be used with internal HD,if yes what changes need to be done for it to be recognized by Bios.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
For an IDE device, set the device to Master, connect the adapter to the drive, plug it into a USB port, supply the drive with power. and the PC should be able to see it; it probably won't show in the BIOS unless the BIOS lists USB storage devices (never seen one that does); to boot from it, change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from USB first (if the BIOS supports it, not all do).

If you have an OS (Windows) already installed on the HD, it might/might not boot because it is now booting from a USB device rather than an IDE device and requires different drivers (running a Windows repair with the original install CD might fix it, never tried on a USB device).

Installing an OS onto the drive will depend on what OS but generally (for Windows) will require a third party tool as Windows won't install directly onto a USB device.

TByc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i couldn't make it work,per Mr Linux ,i set it to master ,connected it to the cable ,got the LED light on on the converter,HD spun,but the system didn't boot,because BIOS doesn't support booting from USB devices.also i ain't sure if windows can see as i couldn't boot up,my other HD is SATA which is already not detected in BIOS.is it that my MOBO is too old that's why having all this problem.(asus A7V-VM).any other way to update besides changing it.