Somewhat of a problem, I guess it's the power supply.

ItsSleepy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hello,

as you probably understood from the topic: I have a problem, I bought new hardware components and a new case, basically a completely new system, except the hard drives.
Now, after the hard work of setting everything up correctly my computer shuts down after ~1 minute of running.
I can rule out any viruses/worms since everything worked perfectly fine on the previous system.

Components are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P5K Pro

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

Graphics Card: MSI GeForce NX8800GT 512MB (overclocked)

Memory: Supertalent unbuffered DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (2GB)

PSU: I have no name but it has 430W

Case: Antec P182

Now, as I said before, I think that the problem is the PSU since I have no idea what else could cause the problem.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me out, I lived through 5 months of instant noodles to save up enough money for all the components+case as listed above and now it doesn't work :heink:

Thanks in advance
ItsSleepy

ItsSleepy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Argh, that's what I was afraid of, because it'll most probably mean another 100€, and that as a student who just moved abroad, meh.

Thanks for your answers, I didn't want to rush to the next computer store and get myself a new PSU for ~100€ on case I missed something, but that's solved now.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It looks like you are using the stock heatsink. Be sure it's mounted properly or it will overheat and shut off. The pins need to be securely connected to the mobo. There are a 100 threads on this.

ItsSleepy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Yes, I do use the stock heatsink, the pins are all in place (even though at some points I thought I was about to break the mobo), the fan is connected to the cpu_fan connector and works very well with the antec case.

One thing which was strange was that in bios the hardware manager displayed a cpu temperature of 72*C which is absolutely impossible.

I had my computer switched off for around half an hour, then started it, immediately went into bios to see the temperature and it said 73*C after running for ~15 secs, so I opened the case and touched the heatsink (of course after switching off all the power and stuff) which was not even remotely warm...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If the HS isn't properly fastened the CPU will get very hot but the HS will remain cool. Make sense? Reseat the HS again before you boot again. When a CPU reaches thermal shutdown temps it's very hard on it.

ItsSleepy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hm, tried to edit it but was not allowed to...

I reseated the Heatsink and I could fasten it with way easier than before.
It works fine now, no shutdowns anymore.

Thanks a lot, you saved me quite a lot of money there, I really appreciate it :D

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
By the way if you are using a no name PSU then you should change it for a name PSU. Not any name either. There are a lot of threads on this, or I can steer you to a good one. Only if you like your new rig though.