massive lag with new built system (arg)

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Hello everyone. I was recently helped on the forums on buying a new comp for my friend, well he recn;ty got it with only onr change the site was out of the 8800's so he went to the 9600gt's and he is experencing massive lagg and freezing. here is the list of comp's

Motherboard - ASUS P5N-T Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$259.99
----------------
Processor -Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
$275.95
(this processor or E8400)
----------------
Power Supply -PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail
$269.99
----------------
Heatsink - Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail
$59.99
----------------
Fan For Heatsink - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail
$24.99
----------------
Thermal paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$5.99
----------------
Ram 2 gig - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX - Retail
$92
----------------
Ram 2 gig - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX - Retail
$92
----------------
EVGA E-GEFORCE 9600GT Ssc 750MHZ 512MB 1.95GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card
----------------
EVGA E-GEFORCE 9600GT Ssc 750MHZ 512MB 1.95GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card
----------------
Sound Card - The onboard 8-channel HD audio
$0
----------------
HDD for Storage - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
$119.99
----------------
DVD - ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - Retail
$35.99
----------------
OS - Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C - OEM
$139.99
----------------
Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$109.99

Any idea what is causing this? I have updated his vid card drivers, have all win updates, and have zone alarm with antivirus. I would take a look at it but im in the USA and he is in CANADA so all I can do is remote assistance.

akhilles

Splendid
Clear cmos, enter bios, load defaults, save & exit.

What's the monitor resolution?

Try low to medium in-game video settings.

Where do these lagging & freezing occur?

If he installed ActiveArmor or nvidia Firewall, uninstall it.

If he installed ntune, uninstall it.

Update windows & drivers.

Did you install all the mobo drivers off the cd that came with the board ?

And is the memory set right in the bios ?

The load optimized settings above might help there.

Did you open the device manager and look for anything with a ( ? ) next to it ? That would mean a driver update is needed.

Did you try and run the machine with one card ? Or with just 2gig of memory ?............. in the correct slots.........

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Ok I need to clarify it is lagging in games but, it will lag or freeze in the middle of just sitting on the desktop. I will check his mobo drivers and see if there is an update. I will also check out his bios and make sure everything is correct. He bought this system from NCIX.com and they put it together and tested everything for 3 days they said. (lol) In addition, I already check his device manager because that was a symptom of not having the smbus driver installed on another friend’s machine but not here. Everything in device manager is ok.

The way you worded your post ("he recently got **it**") "it appears that you ordered the computer spec built. If that's the situation, let the builder's TS guide you thru it.

If you meant "He recently rec'd the parts and built it", then I'd start slow with 2 GB of RAM and just 1 vid card installed. Did you read the MoBo manual, going thru it page by page ? Did you check all of the BIOS settings ? Did you install all the drivers on the MoBo CD ?

Have any diagnostic utilities ? Belarc Advisor will tell you what's being seen.....SiSoft Sandra can point out common problems.

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
ive check his comp out with everest comperate edition. He bought a system from ncix.com and they put it together. I have checked everything i can think of unless the windows install did not take propely. i will ask his to run with only 2 gigs and one vid card

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
ok i ran sisoft and there was nothing wrong it siad i told him to run them all and i read the results i have disabled his sli and am testing his comp from afar, hes too worryed about pulling out his ram and the bios. i tryed to walk him throught it but he wanted no part of it.

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
sorry but the xp pro is real, it passed guninue vantage test plus he has the xp pro sticker. i don't think ncix would put pirated software on their systems.

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
edit problem may be solved just waiting. what i did talked him into unpluging mem and vidcards plugging them back in. changed his renderding settings to alternative and multi gpu with single display.

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
ok most of the problem is solved except bf2 woun't install now. It get past the lang selection but then disapers off the screen and task manager. Any idea's I changed the sli configurationback to normal to install but did not help.

akhilles

Splendid
jeremyrailton, false. I have seen such os'es running flawlessly for months or even years. Also, some legit users get around activation/validation no problem.

However, if it's malware, it's a possiblity. Ask him to run a full scan of antivirus/trojan/spyware. Go to dslreports.com > tools...

Tell him to dump Bitlord for Azureus which may be more memory-hogging, but prime stable. Bitlord is blocked by some trackers.

Oh that, it may have to do with multiple cores. Some software will slow down if it's not up to date or doesn't know how to handle multi cores properly. Look for updates/patches.

for a G0 its normally 1.25. Mine is and runs fine with a droop down to (1.2 ish)1.17 during load.

That link needs to update the specs...its 8 megabytes of cache not 4(its 4 per 2 cores so 2 x 4096) the TDP is 95(G0) watts and 105 for the other one. and it sure as hell does not have HT(Hyper threading)

I am leaning towards aggressive ram timings without the right voltage. OR the fact that on all boards i have used with 4 sticks you need 0.1 - 0.2 extra volts.... Try to add 0.1 and see if it helps....if not try 0.2.

Your ram is rated for 2.1 volts(thats +0.3 from what a board gives by default, i would not go past 2.2 but that should not hurt it)

5-5-5-18 (1.8v) 4 sticks may need 1.9
4-4-4-12 (2.1v) 4 sticks may need 2.2

I hope this helps