Can i use different brands in the other 2 dual channel slots?

chrisdawes

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hi, i was looking for info on this online but didnt find what i was looking for...

I'm using a pair of V-data DDR2 800 1gig modules in dual channel config atm but my supplier doesnt stock V-data anymore when i went to grab another 2x1gig's to upgrade my system to 4gig. i wouldnt personally try and run 2 different brands in dual channel but if i was to buy a pair of 1gig modules of a different brand but the same speed as i already have, would it be ok alongside my V-data ram?. they would be going into the other 2 dual channel slots so wouldnt be mixed up but im not sure if this would cause system instability.

I just dont want to put my current 2 modules to waste if i can help it, any info would be great.

thanks.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You can use different brands of memory as long as it all works together at the same voltages, speed and timings. If you buy slower ram all the ram will run at the slower speed, but you can mix brands, although you want to get something with as close to the same specs as your current tam as possible.