so the amd price drop didnt happen.. will intel do theirs?

ben10218

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
I am really hoping that intel will have their price drop on the 20th as planned, because the black edition 5000x2 that I wanted just went UP in price on newegg, not down.

I didnt like amd much after core 2's came out, but now I am really pissed haha

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
newegg prices are not the same as amd or intel wholesale prices.

Excellent point. I would expect that the vendors will take a few days to follow suit with any wholesale price drop so they can sell as much of their pre-existing inventory as possible without having to sell it at reduced margin or even at a loss.

Maybe or maybe its just that since th release of Phenom the 5000+ BE has gotten very popular with those in the AM2/AM2+ board crowd. Since Phenom didn't do what they wanted they all bought 5000+ BE's and its all about supply and demand with pricing.

I still expect Intel to do theirs just to stay competative. They could leave them but that would be like asking AMD to just take all the market they want and Intel wants to keep their share just like every other company does.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Right now, AMD can't afford a price war. The price drop will probably be on the Athlon X2's or prices to OEM's for B2's. The retail prices will probably stay the same. Intel does not have to drop prices. They did their price war prior to Phenom's arrival and nothing AMD has out warrants another price war.

One thing that always gets me, is that people act like AMD should be around just to keep the prices of their Intel CPU's low. That's not how competition works. AMD's market share is lower than at their best with the Athlon X2 and AMD's performance, while good for OEM's and budget builds, does not compete well enough with Intel's new offerings to lead Intel to drop prices to gain more market share.

Could Intel drive AMD out of business with a price war? Probably, but it would be bad business. They're keeping AMD at a market share Intel can live with while making a profit. Keep in mind that Intel's had layoff too and competes in far more areas than desktop CPU's. Their biggest "opponent" is Samsung, not AMD.

Thats true. Intel has stopped focusing on AMD as much and is going for more important opponents. Samsung is in the same memory arena as Intel and Intel is trying to run with them. But should be interesting to see how the price cuts effect the market if Intel does decide to do them.

Well, AMD's prices still don't make sense. Why in the world would they price the 9600 regular higher than the 9850 BE? Why would they price the 9550 the same as the 9500? And my gripe, why do they still not list/sell the 4850e, a chip that was "released" over a month ago with the 780G mobos (which is my other gripe, where are the other manufactures).