Sign in with
Your question

Why sata HD isn't seen in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2009 7:49:32 PM

i recently added 1 TB SATA HD as a second HD in my PC.before i had an IDE HD 60 GB.thing is this new HD is not seen in BIOS whereas i was able to see it in my computer with Forum's help.i want to use this HD as primary so that i can use it boot from .will i be able to use it as booting HD even if it isn't seen in BIOS.

More about : sata bios

a c 329 G Storage
April 24, 2009 7:30:10 PM

If the BIOS does not see it, you can't use it. Look around in your BIOS Setup screens. Many BIOS's arrive set by default with the SATA controller ports Disabled. If you plug in a SATA drive later, you have to Enable the SATA controller.Then you need to set up a way for the OS to handle it. Many modern BIOS's offer to use the SATA drive in an IDE emulation mode - they fool the rest of the world (especially Windows) into thinking this is just another IDE drive, and Windows knows all about using those. But without that you will need to install a SATA driver in Windows so that it knows how to deal with this new type of device. Since it appears you are adding this new unit as a second data drive, and Windows will continue to boot from the original IDE 60 GB unit, this is no problem - the new SATA drivers will just be loaded in as Windows starts up, same as all the other drivers it uses.
April 25, 2009 9:16:46 AM

i used a SATA controller PCI to hook up this new HD as i didn't have SATA port on my MOBO.that card came up with driver which i think enables windows to have a SATA driver.i looked up every where possible in BIOS to enable SATA controller but couldn't find anything.I have Phoenix BIOS 4.0 release 6.0.U.can you please tell how to look up in that?
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 25, 2009 10:19:08 AM

If your MoBo doesn't (directly) support SATA, the drive won't show in the BIOS; the BIOS extension on the SATA card (should) look like a SCSII card, to boot from it you need to change the BIOS to boot from SCSII (or from addon card, depending on BIOS) the BIOS extension on the PCI card will then auto detect the drive.
April 25, 2009 11:50:35 AM

TByc said:
i used a SATA controller PCI to hook up this new HD as i didn't have SATA port on my MOBO.that card came up with driver which i think enables windows to have a SATA driver.i looked up every where possible in BIOS to enable SATA controller but couldn't find anything.I have Phoenix BIOS 4.0 release 6.0.U.can you please tell how to look up in that?

since that you use a PCI card to connect the hard drive, then it is normal that the BIOS don't see it. What you can try is to right click on the 'my computer ' icon, select manage, and from the list at the left in the window, select disc management. From there, you should see all the disc you have connected to your computer.
a b G Storage
April 25, 2009 12:13:58 PM

There's nothing in the BIOS that affects you to get this installed.

To use this as your primary drive you need to do something like this:

1) Install the SATA card and drive (remove any other hard drive for now)
2) Begin installing Windows from disc
3) You will be promted hit a Function key I think if you need SATA drivers then follow instructions to insert the drivers for XP if needed (floppy)
4) If your drivers get detected the installation should continue and everything will work.

It's possible that Vista will even automatically recognize the SATA controller.

If you see something telling you to hit a Function key for you to direct it to other drivers just let it keep running to see if it will work. if it doesn't, the reboot and follow the instructions this time.

I assume you get a floppy drive with the drivers. make sure to use XP or Vista as appropriate
April 25, 2009 9:35:06 PM

i tried doing exactly what u told photonboy ,when installing from disc there was an option of pressing F6 in order to install third party SCSI or RAID controller.i hit that then windows asked me to insert driver in floppy drive whereas i got CD ROM with the card,i even tried making floppy disk of CD ROM by copying required files but in vain.is there any way i can use CD ROM when asked by windows,after that i may further proceed with rest of the procedure.
April 25, 2009 10:14:38 PM

Dont copy the whole CD to floppy just the sata drivers.
April 25, 2009 11:09:30 PM

i meant by required files was SATA driver files only.
April 27, 2009 12:01:55 AM

i still need the help,i tried to boot from the windows disc by disconnecting my original bootable HD to see if windows can detect that SATA HD,windows showed it as "unknown disk",also can anyone try downloading SATA driver files onto a floppy from"http://www.drivers-download.com"then search for DL code:D L-0151312 from driver search to reach to the necessary files for my controller ,i failed to do so.please post if u were successful & any thing that's needed done before doing so.
April 28, 2009 9:37:33 PM

device manager is showing this HD as this SAMSUNG HD103UJ SCSI DISK DRIVE,Is it being shown as right 'cos it's SATA drive,i actually not sure about the difference between SATA & SCSI.is this could be the reason for it not being seen in BIOS?
April 29, 2009 12:00:04 PM

TByc said:
device manager is showing this HD as this SAMSUNG HD103UJ SCSI DISK DRIVE,Is it being shown as right 'cos it's SATA drive,i actually not sure about the difference between SATA & SCSI.is this could be the reason for it not being seen in BIOS?

Add-in SATA cards (or non-standard SATA chipsets on the motherboard) will often display disks as SCIS rather than ATA in Windows. I believe all my SATA drives show up as SCSI, for example, even though they're not.
a b G Storage
April 29, 2009 12:24:12 PM

For a PCI card to be bootable, it has to provide a BIOS extension; your MoBo won't know how to initialise and use the SATA drive controller, the BIOS extension will. Not all PCI cards are bootable, if it is it should say so in the spec/manual, you should also get an initialisation message, usualy just after the main BIOS initialisation message.

Some older MoBo's have restrictions on which PCI slots will support bootable cards, or the ability to boot from a PCI card may need to be enabled in the BIOS, your MoBo manual should tell you.
!