Sign in with
Your question

A Few Questions about new System

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2008 3:40:38 PM

I am looking into buying a new desktop which I am planning on using as my MCE coupled with playing some games. I am not a gamer just play some occasional ones.

I am looking into the Dell Inspiron 530s, just because I like its size factor. So here is what I want to know, since I could not find the answers any where else,

1. I am looking into getting the E2180 CPU configuration. Does any one know whether the mother board in this Dell allows you to over clock the CPU ?

2. Since this slim case would not allow a standard size Video Card what is the recommendation for a Low profile or half size video card. Since I have not been able to find many half size video cards.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks

More about : questions system

a c 122 à CPUs
April 9, 2008 4:03:10 PM

You wont be able to OC. The board will no have any features like that.

A low profile card will be hard to get though. There are not that many.

I suggest something better, but I hate Dell so its hard to suggest.
April 9, 2008 11:57:13 PM

you want to buy a dell? then oc it?

lol - you want to buy the dell since its size is nice?

newegg has 400 plus cases i am sure you can find one the same size as the dell. dell is the worst with there odd psu and home made over priced mobos

i second that dell blows chunks - my kids can build a better system simply by screwing parts together
Related resources
April 10, 2008 3:05:05 AM

dragonsprayer said:
you want to buy a dell? then oc it?

lol - you want to buy the dell since its size is nice?

newegg has 400 plus cases i am sure you can find one the same size as the dell. dell is the worst with there odd psu and home made over priced mobos

i second that dell blows chunks - my kids can build a better system simply by screwing parts together

Ill third that...but i thought you were a youngen dragon didnt think youd have kiddies at all.

and finding a low profile GPU that plays games... good luck.
April 10, 2008 3:42:59 AM

Agreed you will not be able to overclock that computer and you will have a difficult time finding a video card replacement. I think Dell does allow overclocking on a few of their high end models, but as rule they do not. Which from their standpoint I can understand why. You have revealed the main issue with the compact computers, the ability to upgrade. There are several cases you can build with that are small and more upgradeable.

If you just want an office PC, then Dell is fine. If you want anything else, build your own. I recommend Dell to people who want a really cheap office computer simply because I don't want to mess with building junk.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 4:15:08 AM

Well if the games aren't too high end you could go for a AMD 780g chipset mobo. The onboard GPU is the best onboard GPU you can get right now. This may change later, but right now it's the best. This way you won't have to have a dedicated GPU (at least if you don't need the best settings). Of coarse this means that you'd need to buy an AMD CPU, which I don't know if your open for that option or not. If you do go this way, I'd at least get a 5000+ Black Edition chip w/a $25 cooler and OC it to 3-3.2 gHz on stock voltage settings. You could even go with the lower power 45 watt BE version CPU's to keep the temps down. This would probably be the cheapest and coolest configuration that you could get. It'll support HD video playback and would be the most sensible option, IMHO. Just pick a case that you like and install the parts you want.

Here's one of the mobo's that I'd consider:
ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 159 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2008 12:24:20 PM

Worst thing about Dell is the btx boards they use on some setups. Definately go with an Intel cpu is you buy a Dell system; amd btx boards aren't available except through Dell, and they charge too much for replacement boards. Pricewatch has a few venders that sell dell motherboards, but they are mostly old models. Check slickdeals.net for the best dell deals that change weekly. They had one vostro model for $377 recently that included shipping, a 19 inch lcd and sales tax here in tx.
a c 122 à CPUs
April 10, 2008 1:19:49 PM

o1die said:
Worst thing about Dell is the btx boards they use on some setups. Definately go with an Intel cpu is you buy a Dell system; amd btx boards aren't available except through Dell, and they charge too much for replacement boards. Pricewatch has a few venders that sell dell motherboards, but they are mostly old models. Check slickdeals.net for the best dell deals that change weekly. They had one vostro model for $377 recently that included shipping, a 19 inch lcd and sales tax here in tx.

Whats funny is that Intel originally came up with the BTX standard. And its a good idea in theory. Put the CPU in front of the case so it gets cooler air first. But it went out the door and now only Dell uses it for AMD chips.

Dells mobos are crap and from what I have heard when they get a bad mobo in they get it fixed and use it again. Imagine that :o 
April 10, 2008 1:27:38 PM

Yeah, I figured Dell would be a challenge, especially with the 530s machines. The thing that made me interested was the slim line case would look nice connected to a LCD TV, to be used as a MC PC. I guess not.

Anyways I did look into some of the 780G MB coupled with an AMD Phenom processor, and it actually looks very enticing. I might just go with that setup.

So I guess what I would like to know is could you guys recommend me some MB with the 780G chip and a Video Card.

There is an ECS board, which is very affordable. Any thoughts on this one ?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

My understanding is that to use the 780G ship with ATI's Hybrid Crossfire, only option is the 3450. If not what would be a good Video Card ? I am trying to keep the budget under 500-600 for CPU/MB/RAM/CASE+PS/Video/HDD

Also please keep in mind I am not in the US but in Canada. Prices are bit higher compared here, and also newegg does not ship to Canada :pfff: .

So any advise would be appreciated
a c 122 à CPUs
April 10, 2008 2:02:04 PM

Don't get a 125w TDP chip, i.e. 9850BE, as they are not able to handle them and will blow the mobo.

Heck you don't even need a quad core for a HTPC. If anything a nice dual and a decent mid range GPU, i.e. 2600XT, 3850 or 8600, for the HD decoder with 2GB of RAM and one nice large HD(or 2 in a RAID0 for speedier writing/reading) and you are set. Plus the Phenoms do run a bit hot for a HTPC and you want to keep that stuff cool if its going to be on a lot, and knowing people TV's are on a lot.
April 10, 2008 2:58:43 PM

Well to be honest, I am not looking for an exclusive HTPC. The main reason I am using this as an HTPC will be to watch "videos" I have in my hard drive and DVD movies.

I still have not decided if I would like to install a Blue Ray drive, because most of the good movies are not on Blue Ray yet, and all the good movies are on HD-DVD still(Already own a Toshiba HD-A3).

So this computer will be used to play games, hopefully Gears of War, and when Halo 3 comes out for PC (whenever that would be, any ideas ?) watch Movies and for Music.

So I am thinking the Phenom would be the best choice, being the cheapest Quad Core.
April 11, 2008 4:02:08 PM

I have also been looking into Micro-ATX Cases. What kind of components can I go with these sized cases ?

I have seen these cases but never have worked with them, and their small size makes them flexible when it comes to finding a discrete spot in my living room / bedroom.

So any advise or thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages in building a computer with a micro-ATX case.

!