Your thoughts on factory refurbished parts

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
im just wondering what peoples feelings on Factory refurbished Parts are Eg: Motherboard, Video card, Hard Drive Ect

Like if you had a choice to buy a new one or a refurbished one with no diffrence in price witch would you get and why choose that one?

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
the new one because there is no difference in price.

in general though if there is a decent savings, i will go for the refurbished one a lot of the times. Refurbished units always undergo testing to insure they work so quality normally is not an issue.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
A refurbished toaster or blender is -not- the same as a MB.
Unless -all- the caps and fans are replaced don't buy it,and if so only if half price or less.

Every Asus MB that I have had refurbed has never lived another full year.

I would never buy a refurbed hard drive. A complete computer from somewhere like Dell or IBM - it would depend on the price break and configuration. Motherboards and other components - maybe.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
i would never buy a refurbed product with moving parts like a hard drive, optical drive etc. that's asking for a disaster.

as for videocards, mbs, etc, if it's refurbed with a SIGNIFICANT discount, then i would consider it. But also, only if it still came with a manufacturer's warranty. even then, i'd still only consider it....