q6600 help

I am currently using a q6600 and its overclocked to 2.7 :( i want to go to 3 but my mobo (asus p5n32-e sli - 680i chipset) doesnt seem to let me.

i might put up a pic of my cpu-z reading....later though im too tired now.

The stepping and revision confuse me for some reason. Is this good for overclocking?
cpu-z says this:
Stepping: B
Revision: G0

once again, good for overclocking? or do these numbers not even matter?
42 answers Last reply
More about q6600 help
  1. I have the same CPU. Same stepping, and revision and have had it to 3.4ghz with no problems. I've backed off a little to 3ghz just so I have some breathing room. What is ur voltage currently at? I actually was able to LOWER my default voltage of 1.325 to 1.28 and it runs stable at 3ghz. A CPU-z screeny would help.
  2. I have something close to that board, the p5n32e sli PLUS. Pretty close issue (I've def been able to oc higher though), i feel it is related to the ram. You didn't really give much info, but if you are running 4 sticks of ram, i recommend taking 2 out and seeing if you can then oc higher.
  3. I had that board/cpu and found the only way to get the Q6600 to OC correctly was to use a beta bios version 1203. I had luck and was able to OC past 3.0GHZ. I'll see if I can get you a link. Do a google search for those bios.
  4. hypocrisyforever said:
    I have something close to that board, the p5n32e sli PLUS. Pretty close issue (I've def been able to oc higher though), i feel it is related to the ram. You didn't really give much info, but if you are running 4 sticks of ram, i recommend taking 2 out and seeing if you can then oc higher.



    running 2 sticks of ram (5-5-5-18) @ 800 MHz
  5. bosshoss said:
    I have the same CPU. Same stepping, and revision and have had it to 3.4ghz with no problems. I've backed off a little to 3ghz just so I have some breathing room. What is ur voltage currently at? I actually was able to LOWER my default voltage of 1.325 to 1.28 and it runs stable at 3ghz. A CPU-z screeny would help.


    cpu-z reading:
  6. I have a 650i with the exact same CPU. Im sitting at 3.6ghz, so I know you can def hit 3 easy. You mobo is a bit better than mine, but I know the BIOS is probably pretty much the same. What you want is pretty easy to achieve on these boards, so here goes:

    1. Make sure you Unlink the ram and FSB.
    2. Set the FSB to 333 (That would be 1333 quad pumped)

    You may have to up your voltages just a hair, so go in there and just try to start with the VCore first, just one nudge at a time until you get it to post. You may have to do the same with the FSB voltage. Just dont go crazy with all the voltages. Just one thing at a time so you know where things are not going right.
    When you get it to post and all that make sure you test for stability. Use Prime for that and Core Temp to monitor your temps.
  7. Unscrupulous said:
    I have a 650i with the exact same CPU. Im sitting at 3.6ghz, so I know you can def hit 3 easy. You mobo is a bit better than mine, but I know the BIOS is probably pretty much the same. What you want is pretty easy to achieve on these boards, so here goes:

    1. Make sure you Unlink the ram and FSB.
    2. Set the FSB to 333 (That would be 1333 quad pumped)

    You may have to up your voltages just a hair, so go in there and just try to start with the VCore first, just one nudge at a time until you get it to post. You may have to do the same with the FSB voltage. Just dont go crazy with all the voltages. Just one thing at a time so you know where things are not going right.
    When you get it to post and all that make sure you test for stability. Use Prime for that and Core Temp to monitor your temps.



    thanks :)
  8. Did that work for ya?
  9. Unscrupulous said:
    Did that work for ya?


    well i went into my bios, changed the oc options to manual. i unlinked the ram and fsb but it would only let me change the fsb from 533 to some high number, i have set it to 1333 that way before and it never worked, so i went back to the oc options and selected ai overclock and set it at 10% and my cpu-z readings havent changed.....
    confused...
  10. Ok, 333 is the actual FSB. Its represented 1333 because its x4 cores. So you do want to in fact put 1333 where you are to enter the value for the FSB. Dont use the AI. Just work with the BIOS. Once you have that setting in go into the voltages and just go up 1 or 2 nudges on the VCore.
  11. Try that an let me know. We are going to get you 3GHZ darn it.
  12. Unscrupulous said:
    Ok, 333 is the actual FSB. Its represented 1333 because its x4 cores. So you do want to in fact put 1333 where you are to enter the value for the FSB. Dont use the AI. Just work with the BIOS. Once you have that setting in go into the voltages and just go up 1 or 2 nudges on the VCore.


    haha well my vcore is 1.360. is that good enough for 3?
  13. It depends a bit on your chip. Just go up one step at a time until it posts. Youre def still in good shape...so dont be scared to go up a bit.
  14. B/G0/SLACR as well, sitting at 3.6. 1.36v. 4 x 1GB (crappy 800 gskill) @ 5/5/5/15 1000mhz. on air. Idle upper 40's, max load mid-upper sixties. Very happy with this + 8800gts640 oc'd heavily. currently running xp pro sp3.

  15. Unscrupulous said:
    It depends a bit on your chip. Just go up one step at a time until it posts. Youre def still in good shape...so dont be scared to go up a bit.



    NOW im scared. i did everything you said.. loaded windows and right when i was about to open firefox i got a blue screen that said hardware malfunction.
    so i reset my bios to default.. but my cpu-z readings still say 2.7 (core clock: 2.7, Bus Speed: 300, rated FSB: 1200)

    help meeeee
  16. Dude, thats normal when you are trying to get your OC stable. BSODs will happen. You will have to reset the BIOS at few times before its stable...but I know what you are saying they do look scary.
  17. What is the VCore last time.
  18. Unscrupulous said:
    What is the VCore last time.


    haha yea i was like oh ****..
    well i just opened cpu-z and its saying my vcore is 1.312
  19. Ok good...cpu-z is the value you want to go by. You will get those BSODs untill the OC is stable.
    Just to give you an idea I have had my VCore all the way up to 1.55, but that was to get 3.8ghz. Just follow the steps I told you. Just go up on step each time. Once you get things stable you can back of the voltage just a bit. Just make sure you test for stability with Prime.
  20. alright thanks, i will let you know if things arent getting better..one more question how long do you recomend running prime 95 for?
    i ran it for six hrs when i oc'd to 2.7
  21. Yeah at least 6, but try to go for 12 or more. One last thing dont forget that you may have to up a little on the FSB voltage.
  22. Unscrupulous said:
    Yeah at least 6, but try to go for 12 or more. One last thing dont forget that you may have to up a little on the FSB voltage.


    alright thanks, well i tried doing again, opened up cpu-z and for about a second it read 2.9 but it went right back down to seven then i got another blue screen
  23. Oh darn I forgot one thing. Go into your CPU settings in the bios and turn off the following features:
    C1E Function-disabled
    Speed Step- disabled
    Frequency Unlimit-disabled
    Execute Bit- enabled
    Virtualization-enabled
    I was assuming you already did this...stupid me.
  24. Unscrupulous said:
    Oh darn I forgot one thing. Go into your CPU settings in the bios and turn off the following features:
    C1E Function-disabled
    Speed Step- disabled
    Frequency Unlimit-disabled
    Execute Bit- enabled
    Virtualization-enabled
    I was assuming you already did this...stupid me.


    haha alright. well i did it 3 times. heres what happened:
    1: loaded everything, froze after i logged in.
    2: got a blue screen with disfigured colors.
    3: blue screen hardware malfunction.

    in between the 2nd and 3rd and i went to my bios post message and it said my cpu and the speed was 3.0...
    and i had my vcore up at 1.4 for all 3 times, should i go up or down?
  25. Youre ok. Just disable that stuff I told you. Usually 1.40 to 1.45 is the place to start just to get thing up and running. Once things are stable you can try to go down a bit.
  26. alright thanks, im gonna try it again
  27. Whoa whoa whoa, 1.40-1.45 on water? If you're on air, and you're running 1.40-1.45 u're asking for burnt toast.
  28. I've ran that for ever at 3.6...no probs. Im on air and the temps never exceed 40C.
  29. Unscrupulous said:
    I've ran that for ever at 3.6...no probs. Im on air and the temps never exceed 40C.


    all things you told my to disable/enable were already disabled/enabled, but i couldnt find frequency unlimit..there was something call LDT frequency, maybe thats it? LDT could be short for limited...

    anyways i rebooted and its still freezing...vcore is set to 1.45 and i cant find the fsb voltage....
  30. Hummm...there should be a setting on your voltages that increases the CPUs FBS voltage.

  31. Unscrupulous said:
    Hummm...there should be a setting on your voltages that increases the CPUs FBS voltage.

    http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/Unsclupulous/GPU111.jpg


    well i will look around the bios and see. have any recomendations on a good mobo for overclocking, im looking at the p5k. any good? ive read mixed reviews
  32. Ok, Im looking at shots of what I believe is your MB(ASUS P5N32-E SLI) should be NB voltage.
  33. This is what Im getting when I upgrade my MB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
  34. Unscrupulous said:
    This is what Im getting when I upgrade my MB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358


    i noticed under the specs that it supports 1600/1333 fsb...can it still support 1066? and the same with the ram, it says standard ddr2 1333 i gave ddr2 800 can that still work?
  35. Yep...so long as it is DDR2. Pretty sweet looking too, huh. Im still puzzled, though. You have what is considered a better mother board than mine and still not cigar. Youre not even asking for that much. What you want should not warrant you spending money on a new MB.
  36. wahjahka said:
    i noticed under the specs that it supports 1600/1333 fsb...can it still support 1066? and the same with the ram, it says standard ddr2 1333 i gave ddr2 800 can that still work?


    If it supports DDR2 1333, it'll also support slower DDR2. You just can't force a DDR3 board to support DDR2, or a DDR2 1066 board to support DDR2 1333.

    Just so you know. To get my Q6600 to hit 3.2Ghz stable I had to push my Vcore to 1.425? (CPU-Z shows it as like 1.38 though due to VDroop). :)
  37. Unscrupulous said:
    Yep...so long as it is DDR2. Pretty sweet looking too, huh. Im still puzzled, though. You have what is considered a better mother board than mine and still not cigar. Youre not even asking for that much. What you want should not warrant you spending money on a new MB.


    alright. yea i dont know whats going on with this but hopefully i can get it to work.
  38. Just keep working at it. You should be able to get that with your current board. My guess here is that youre gonna have to play with the voltages some. Go through all the voltages mainly Vcore and nb. It takes a lot of tinkering and patience to get a sweet OC that is stable. :D
  39. Unscrupulous said:
    Just keep working at it. You should be able to get that with your current board. My guess here is that youre gonna have to play with the voltages some. Go through all the voltages mainly Vcore and nb. It takes a lot of tinkering and patience to get a sweet OC that is stable. :D


    still no luck :( well i have heard that the 680i chipset doesnt overclock well with quads
  40. Heh, trust me dude, I couldnt get this 650i to OC 6600 past 2.7ghz myself. A lot of people will tell you it doesnt OC well, but in reality it just takes a little more work. Took a whole lot of trial and error to get it beyond that 2.7 for me. ;)
  41. Unscrupulous said:
    Heh, trust me dude, I couldnt get this 650i to OC 6600 past 2.7ghz myself. A lot of people will tell you it doesnt OC well, but in reality it just takes a little more work. Took a whole lot of trial and error to get it beyond that 2.7 for me. ;)


    almost there, it seems to be working a little bit longer everytime
  42. Good deal...your MB is prob kinda finicky about voltages in order to get a stable OC.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Product