PNY 8600gts PSU good enough?

rick355

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I just built a new build Friday here's specs..

ABIT IP35-E motherboard bios V15 (new)
core 2 quad Q6600 processor (new)
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (new)
PNY VCG86GTSXPB GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (new)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1600
windows XP pro service pack 2
SoundBlaster Audigy2zs platinum
seagate 160gig pata HDD (master)
maxtor 320gig pata HDD
PSU OCZ Modstream 450W/OCZ-450 12U

PC started right up fine after assembly, bios recognized everything perfectly, had to manually adjusy memory voltage to 2.1 but that was after I started getting the Black screen of Death. OS install went without a hitch. Seemed to start having problems when I was trying to install a game, suddenly would lose picture but PC still going. Seems to be ok for a little while just for checking email or doing stuff like this(not grapfic intensive), but after 45 mins or so, screen goes black, fan on graphics card goes on high speed. If I try to install a game, it won't even make it through installation.
I tried disconnecting the sound card, the extra HDD, to try to save power, didn't help at all. I ended up swapping out this video card for an ATI X1600pro from another machine, works perfectly. I put the 8600 GTS in the other machine, which has a slightly larger PSU, couldn't even get the drivers installed before I got the black screen. I am RMAing the 8600GTS for a new one, but I'm wondering if my PSU is enough and if maybe that could've damaged the card? Specs says it only requires a 350 watt PSU. I don't know if this has enough 12v rails? The wattage seems to be high enough, any help would be appreciated. I'm wondering if when the fan kicks on high, if the card isn't getting enough power?

pauldh

Illustrious
Um, what power supply do you have? How many amps on the 12v rail? What you have to remember is your Q6600 system saps alot of 12V power too. Most 350W PSU are below what the mobo specs will say is needed for a Quad core, never mind adding GPU 3D load requirements. I had to upgrade my UPS as any time I fired up a game my UPS was overloaded and the thing would buzz quite loud. The one I have now shows my power consumption on an LCD readout, and man does it sap power when entering a game.

rick355

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Boy do I feel like a dummy, I swear I put my PSU info there, been since edited. Here it is anyway..
OCZ Modstream 450W/OCZ-450 12U
It says it has 26A on the +12V rail