Xbox 360 thru PC...can it work?

felix2792

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I was wondering if there is a way to make my Xbox 360 go into my video card/PC and be displayed on my PC moniter. I would like to do this while the PC is running. Is there a program that can display video being input into my GPU on my PC screen? I don't need to record the input stream, but that would be cool if i could.

My available GPU's:Nvidia 6600GT, 7800GT, ATI X700 PRO.
the 7800 is advertised as having VIVO technology, and in one of the manuals, it shows instructions on installing a TV capture driver.

I also have an adapter with the colord inputs that are also on the Xbox cord, they are green, blue and red, i think. it is a box with female red, blue and red things, and on the other end is a cord with a male s-video connector. i also have an adapter with a female s-video on one side with a tag on it marked "SVID IN", and on the other end an SVID out thing. on this same adapter it has female connectors, colored in orange, blue, green and red, all marked COMP IN.

sorry for putting so much in so **** formatting
let me know if you need clarification on anything

thanks

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Quick answer... No.

This question gets asked at least once every 1-2 months. If you search around you'll probably find your answer.

Most people would buy a VGA adapter to there computer monitor. Problem is, most computer screens are 16:10 aspect ratio vs 16:9. What happens is you get a picture that appears to be compressed (squished) laterally. Some games I couldn't even tell a difference but in most games it was quite obvious. Anything that involves a circle appears to be squished or egg shaped. Some monitors will allow you to stretch the screen laterally so you will sacrifice losing picture on each side but things would appear to look normal.

The best way would be to get a computer screen that supports 1:1 pixel mapping. I could be wrong and I'm sure there out there. But I've never seen a computer monitor smaller than 24" that had 1:1 pixel mapping on it. A popular computer monitor with 1:1 happens to be the Dell 2407WFP-HC which I also happen to own. With this you can play your Xbox 360 using VGA at full 1080P, and with 1:1 mapping enabled you will get small black bars on top and bottom but you can enjoy your game play at full resolution with no distortion.

Many people have petitioned to get 16:10 support from Microsoft and as far as I'm aware of that has not happened yet. It makes little or no sense to have VGA support without supporting the resolution for most computer monitors.

jormm

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007

Huh... are you sure you are getting full 1080 on your moniter threw the vga on your xbox i was told by many ppl that if you hook up a 360 threw vga you will only get MAX of 720P nothing higher.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Yes. That was the case but with an xbox update awhile back it enabled the support of 1080p via VGA. This engadget article speaks a little of it.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Yeah, there most likely would be a delay. When you press a button it won't do the action until a second later. You can try it on a 4:3 monitor. I guess you could always buy a VGA cable and if it doesnt work return it. That would be your cheapest option. But you still have to find a way to get sound. If your monitor has built in speakers you can probably use a stereo to mini cable (3.5mm) or if you have a receiver laying around with some speakers. Inexpensive PC speakers may work as well, just depends on how nice of an experience you want I suppose.

640 x 480
848 x 480
1204 x 720
1280 x 720
1280 x 768
1280 x 1024
1360 x 768
1920 x 1080

I believe these are all the difference resolutions the Xbox 360 supports. So you might have to try out the 4:3 ratios.