Problem with sticky Win Key on Windows XP and HP Notebook ??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility (More info?)

Hello everyone,

We recently bought a used HP nx9010 laptop (very little use), wich came
preinstalled with Windows XP Pro. It looks fine in general, but has a
very weird behavior:

Once windows boots and you are logged in, pressing the "R" key (just
the R key, no simultaneous control keys) brings up the "Run" dialog,
similarly pressing the "F" key alone brings the "Find" dialog - there
are probably more keys behaving like this.

It seemes like that the Win key is locked in "Pressed" position all the
time.

We have checked the Accessibility options in control panel, they are
all in their default settings.

Would you think that this is a hardware problem (broken Win key) ? Or
is it a misconfigured Windows XP ?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

-arifi

arifi wrote:
> We recently bought a used HP nx9010 laptop (very little use), wich
> came preinstalled with Windows XP Pro. It looks fine in general, but
> has a very weird behavior:
>
> Once windows boots and you are logged in, pressing the "R" key (just
> the R key, no simultaneous control keys) brings up the "Run" dialog,
> similarly pressing the "F" key alone brings the "Find" dialog - there
> are probably more keys behaving like this.
>
> It seemes like that the Win key is locked in "Pressed" position all
> the time.
>
> We have checked the Accessibility options in control panel, they are
> all in their default settings.
>
> Would you think that this is a hardware problem (broken Win key) ? Or
> is it a misconfigured Windows XP ?
>
> Any pointers greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

Since Windows is the only thing that utilizes this key - it may be hard to
tell.
Perhaps if you plugged in a USB keyboard and disabled the built in keyboard,
that might further clue you in to the problem area?
(I would go hardware first - make HP fix it.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility (More info?)

Many thanks Shenan, tried it with a USB keyboard, and got the same
behavior. Probably a Windows issue, unless all Win keys are on strike.
Will reinstall Windows xp now.
Thanks again,
-arifi

arifi wrote:
> Many thanks Shenan, tried it with a USB keyboard, and got the same
> behavior. Probably a Windows issue, unless all Win keys are on strike.
> Will reinstall Windows xp now.

Did you disable the built in keyboard?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility (More info?)

Oops no .. Of course, then the test is not conclusive.

But the BIOS does not have such an option either - is there any other
way to disable the bullt-in keyboard ?

-arifi

TRENDING THREADS