TCP/IP connection

G

I have tried 9 ways from Sunday to reestablish my internet connection, from reinstalling all the drivers to Windows repair installation. This has caused a problem with the Product Key not working anymore.
For some reason I can't seem to get an internet connection to establish. I can't even install the wireless adapter software due to some unknown error. This was all due to the TCP/IP not being available, almost overnight. No virus or malware infections at all.

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Try these two things:

Step1: Go to Start-->Run (or hit the windows key + "R" key)
Step2: Type "cmd" in the text box
Step3: type in "ipconfig/release" and hit enter.
Step4: after the cursor line appears and it is done processing, type in "ipconfig/renew" and hit enter.
Step5:Close the box and try connecting to the internet.

The above steps force the computer to re-establish the internet protocols (IP address, subnet address, etc.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that does not work, try the following steps.

Step1: Click Start-->Control Panel (make sure you are in catagory view as opposed to classic view which can be changed at the top of the left hand column)
Step2: Click on the "Performance and Maintenance" option
Step3: Click on "System" in the lower right corner of that window (usually has a computer icon above the word "System")
Step4: In the window that just opened, click on the "Hardware" tab
Step5: click on the button that says "Device Manager"
Step6: Locate your wireless adapter AND network devices and delete them/uninstall them.
Step7: Restart the computer. (When you restart the computer, it may take a bit longer to start because it will load the default drivers for the devices. [Make SURE your wireless adapter is installed/connected to your computer])

Check your internet connections and see if they will connect to the internet/see the network.

G

Step 1 didn't work. In Step 2 it will not uninstall, error reads it may need it to boot the system. A scan for hardware changes results in a statement saying it cannot find the file specified.

I have tried 9 ways from Sunday to reestablish my internet connection, from reinstalling all the drivers to Windows repair installation. This has caused a problem with the Product Key not working anymore.
For some reason I can't seem to get an internet connection to establish. I can't even install the wireless adapter software due to some unknown error. This was all due to the TCP/IP not being available, almost overnight. No virus or malware infections at all.

Start>Settings>control panel>Internet Options>Connections>Setup

Everybody knows to do this, but the one time nobody tells someone to do it is the one time that's the only thing the person didn't do. So now, it has been officially said.

G

yep, I use automatic detection for LAN-I have tried the wizard it states it can't find the hardware. I haven't mentioned it but this is XP Professional, originally sp3 but after the repair install I'm stuck with a 30 day usage of sp2 until I can get some of this straightened out. I'm not sure why it wouldn't activate unless it needed the internet connection. The install accepted the key for sp2