Q6600 scoring 1fps on 3dmark 6 CPU test

G

Hi,

I have been using my new pc build for about 2 months now and decided it was time for a 3dmark test when I found a basic version on my PCFormat magazine cover disc.

Im running:
Antec 900 Case
Q6600 2.4GHz
ASUS P5KC
BFG 8800 GT OC 512mb
2gb OCZ
WD 500gb HDD

I havnt OCed my Q6600 just yet and have read that i can get it to around 3.2GHz with the right cooling. My problem is, that when i run 3dmark 6 im getting about 50fps average on the GPU test but only getting around 1-2fps on the CPU test.

Although iv not really ever had a real play with 3dmark im pretty sure i shouldnt be getting only 1 fps. (correct me if im wrong)

Just thought you guys might have some ideas.

Cheers :)

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Thats more than normal behaivour. Systems that break 3dmark06 world records only get like 4fps on this test (these tests). What might surprise you is that the cpu isn't generating the graphics as such, but running multiple a.i. and physics threads. The little hovering robots you see in the scene jumping (very slowly :) )around from frame to frame are actually being driven by a.i. and fragments from the explosions are actually being simulated to some extend, not just a set animation being played back. It might be 5+ years before we see this test running at 25+fps.

For more cpu test info at this link:

http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark06/tests/

"3DMark06 CPU Tests
CPU Tests - Red Valley (requires full SM2.0 support or better)
Both CPU tests use our new game engine, and rely on AI, physics and game logic to generate a multi-threaded workload that can be distributed on multiple processors, cores or even on a single processor. Ageia PhysX library and D* Lite path finding AI algorithm are produce demanding CPU loads. Tests are run in a fixed frame rate of 2FPS for more equal CPU loading. Resolution is locked to 640x480 to decrease GFX influence of performance. The shader profile is locked to 2_0 and no dynamic shadows are used. The D* Lite AI algorithm generates unit path requests in a dynamic path finding grid, where each unit represents a moving obstacle, and paths sync back at 200ms-600ms intervals. The complexity of the path request fulfillment varies; the dynamic re-planning algorithm can re-use the state of previous searches. The Ageia physics uses 87 units and their rigid bodies at 20ms physics steps. Professional reviewers can disable a second CPU or other core of either a virtual or physical dual core system for comparable results regardless of the number of cores or CPUs.
CPU Test 1
The test uses a high level of path finding complexity, tight AI synchronization intervals over 40 frames, locked to fixed frame rate of 2FPS with a Shader Profile of 2_0 and a resolution of 640x480.
CPU Test 2
The test uses a lower level of path finding complexity, lax AI synchronization intervals over 60 frames, locked to a fixed frame rate of 2FPS with a Shader Profile of 2_0 and a resolution of 640x480."

and a video of a much faster cpu doing the same test but still getting tiny fps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq6XDhfbpTg

Dude even a Q6600 @ 3GHz gets 1-2FPs on the first test and then 2-3 maybe 4FPS on the second CPU test.

But still don't use 3DMark as a benchmark. So far I can tell you its not 100% accurate. Heck I can play Crysis on my rig at 12x10 res with most setting on very high but 3DMark would say otherwise.