Sign in with
Your question

Creative sucks, I need some soundcard advice

Last response: in Components
April 10, 2008 2:10:30 PM

Well, after reformatting my computer for the 4th time in two weeks, I finally determined that my X-Fi Fatal1ty was the culprit for all the crap I've been through. I pulled everything that I didn't need, and slowly added it back in. From the moment I installed the driver for the stupid sound card until now, I've probably had 10 BSOD's. Took me at least 2 hours to get it all cleared out (I was getting BSOD's while trying to enter Safe Mode, for Christ's sake), but now my computer's up and running again.

I'm done with Creative, needless to say. But, I'm an audiophile. I like my music, games, movies, whatever to sound good, and I really don't want to use my onboard for longer than I have to. So, I'm needing some recommendations. The two obvious choices are the Auzentec X-Fi Prelude and the Asus Xonar D2X. I don't have the dough for them now, but that should change in a month or two, unless I find a great deal somewhere. I've read a few reviews comparing the two, and they usually come out about the same, with the Prelude being maybe a tad bit better. Anybody have one of these, or can give me an idea of something better? My config's listed on my profile. I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, in case that isn't on there.
April 10, 2008 2:24:39 PM

Asus Xonar D2X is a great choice.
April 10, 2008 2:49:56 PM

I gave up on Creative awhile ago and have been wanting a new sound card for awhile now. I've been hanging on waiting for the thngs to become clear about any issues that might arise with all the DRM thing with video and sound in Vista.
I read a bit about about the ASUS cards the other week and they looked promising but i'm unsure/confused as to the support for ingame surround and EAX.
I'm the same as chedz i want good sound in music, games and movies. I've got a PC behind the main tv that gets used for recording tv etc and sometimes used for games.
Related resources
April 10, 2008 3:09:03 PM

Another idea you could try is the AuzenTech X-Fi. Yes, it has the X-Fi chipset, but the drivers are by AuzenTech...maybe it works better than Creative's implementation?
April 10, 2008 3:27:34 PM

I'm using the X-Fi Fatal1ty, and I think it's very good tbh. I haven't had any problems with it, but than again I'm still using win xp pro. I've heard some sound cards are having teething problems with vista, but then again if you want a real headache try getting a creative labs sound card to work under linux! eek!
April 10, 2008 3:51:27 PM

The_Monkey_Man said:
I'm using the X-Fi Fatal1ty, and I think it's very good tbh. I haven't had any problems with it, but than again I'm still using win xp pro. I've heard some sound cards are having teething problems with vista, but then again if you want a real headache try getting a creative labs sound card to work under linux! eek!

I was using an X-Fi Fatal1ty, but the latest drivers completely corrupted my Vista installation. Even after uninstalling the drivers and all creative components and using Driver Cleaner, I was getting blue screens booting into Safe Mode. I didn't even know that was possible.
April 10, 2008 4:05:01 PM

The_Monkey_Man said:
but then again if you want a real headache try getting a creative labs sound card to work under linux! eek!

That's why I have a Creative "Soundblaster Live! 5.1". Can't go wrong with that card even though they stopped selling them about 3 years ago.
April 10, 2008 4:32:45 PM

Creative Lab sucks, I have had issues with their 64bit driver in Vista.
April 10, 2008 5:03:10 PM

Totally agree that their drivers suck and ditto for their public relations... but you gotta admit... the actual hardware (admittedly useless without software) is pretty impressive. The original Sound Blaster, SoundBlaster Pro/16, the SB-AWE32, the SB Live and even the X-Fi... all very impressive pieces of hardware.
April 10, 2008 5:08:01 PM

rodney_ws said:
Totally agree that their drivers suck and ditto for their public relations... but you gotta admit... the actual hardware (admittedly useless without software) is pretty impressive. The original Sound Blaster, SoundBlaster Pro/16, the SB-AWE32, the SB Live and even the X-Fi... all very impressive pieces of hardware.

That's why I'm considering the Auzentec X-Fi Prelude. When my X-Fi did work, it sounded great. It's a very good audio processor. I just don't really know which is better: the Prelude, the Xonar D2X, or something else that I'm now aware of.
April 10, 2008 5:09:07 PM

I have an X-fi Fatal1ty also in XP - Just took it out and am using the onboard sound. It is the Max Formula SE. I see(hear) no difference. I am upgrading to Vista soon(I've had Ultimate since it first came out-just never installed it) I think I will stick with the onboard ASUS sound . Your post has been most helpful in making that decision. I thank you. I just hate to see a $200 card gather dust.
April 10, 2008 5:34:43 PM

I have a X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum that so far is working fine for the most part, both in XP and now Vista 64. There is one problem that has been puzzling, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Creative drivers. I do have Vista with SP1, so that might make a difference. Don't know.

As for Auzentech, I've looked at them, but they were using Creative drivers and not even the entire Creative driver package, so I don't know that an Auzentech card would be any better. Worse, I haven't read anything positive yet about Auzentech's support.

I have had a few problems with sound cards and my speakers not working correctly, but that occured after I updated Windows Media Player, so my suspicion is that the problem lies more in Microsoft than in Creative. This is also happening in two of my computers, both the one with a Creative card and a new one that uses an ASUS card, so I don't think the speaker problem is related to Creative at this point.
April 10, 2008 5:43:56 PM

boonality said:
That's why I have a Creative "Soundblaster Live! 5.1". Can't go wrong with that card even though they stopped selling them about 3 years ago.

except if you want to run vista.... and hence the large row recently about modded drivers.... actually, can anyone remember where to get the modded vista drivers for those cards?
April 10, 2008 5:45:05 PM

yep, the driver is drunk, iam forced to do swap between two pci slot in my last win xp install, and in my previous they brings the blue screen / crash error iam using x-fi ex music btw.
April 10, 2008 5:46:04 PM

I have always liked creative hardware owned sound blast platinum/audigy platinum/audigy 2 platinum. Hardware wise they are great. But and a big but i have always hated creative's drivers and support when it comes to there crap drivers or lack there of. Creative really needs to get there act together and start making some better quality drivers and software that doesnt suck.
April 10, 2008 10:32:19 PM

Well, I think I'm leaning toward a Xonar at this point. Apparently Creative makes the drivers for Auzentech's X-Fi Prelude, and I really don't want to deal with anything involving Creative. Anybody know the big difference between the Xonar D2 and D2X aside from the PCIe X1 interface?
April 11, 2008 4:24:00 AM

I'm done with creative long time back after they sucked lot of my blood
Sound blaster live
Sound blaster audigy 2
5300 speakers 5.1
PC CAM 880
All pieces of junk
Drivers suck
Support sucks more
Discusting customers respect policy

Cahanged to Razer Barracuda sound card and headset
changed to Logitech cams
Logitech soeakers are great

Go for Asus Xonar D2X . It is a great choice
Provided that it will be available and **** will not find
something and take Asus to court and stop the manufacturing of this card
as they used to do with their competitors

It is a free country
They are free to have their own plicy in steeling my money
And Iam also free how to spend my money

At the end of the day onboard sound chips are amazing
April 11, 2008 4:40:20 AM

Quote:
The original Sound Blaster, SoundBlaster Pro/16, the SB-AWE32, the SB Live and even the X-Fi... all very impressive pieces of hardware.

Some of Creative's more recent hardware is passable, but their earlier stuff (AWE32 and earlier) was junk. Check out the following link and you can listen to just how bad Soundblasters were compared to some of the other cards of the day. The AWE32 was garbage compared to a Roland LAPC-1 produced 5 years earlier and sold at a similar price. Even the original Gravis Ultrasounds were superior.

Through excellent marketing, Creative cards became the most widely supported cards in games, forcing other companies to start producing "soundblaster compatible" cards. Later on Creative sued every company selling "soundblaster compatible" cards into oblivion.

http://www.crossfire-designs.de/?lang=en&what=articles&name=showarticle.htm&article=soundcards
April 12, 2008 4:51:29 PM

chedrz said:
Well, I think I'm leaning toward a Xonar at this point. Apparently Creative makes the drivers for Auzentech's X-Fi Prelude, and I really don't want to deal with anything involving Creative. Anybody know the big difference between the Xonar D2 and D2X aside from the PCIe X1 interface?

There is no difference, except that you need a floppy power connector for the PCIe 1X version.

It's a bit confusing, some reviews notice a difference between the D2 and the D2X, and conclude that the D2X is better, when in fact they have noticed the difference between old drivers used at the time the D2 was released vs new drivers that ship with the D2X today.

It's the exact same hardware, except for the PCIe chip on the D2X, so there can not be any difference logically and there isn't.

I think the Xonar D2 is an awesome card, especially now it supports AEX 5.0. I will probably buy one as well.
April 12, 2008 5:59:07 PM

I just picked up a Razor Barracuda that I will be putting into my Vista box.
When I get things setup in 5 and 1 I'll let you all know how it went.
April 12, 2008 6:00:59 PM

Just use HT Omega Claro, it is much better than that POS soundblaster. I switched like 6months ago, and it is fantastic having a soundcard that actually works, and not having to rely on hacked drivers to give me functionality.
May 6, 2008 5:56:08 PM

Hi all,

Have any of you ever tried the m-audio cards, I used to have a 7.1 revolution and was very impressed with the sound quality. many of their cards are used for high end audio applications like studio and dj needs.
However, they sell some more affordable cards that, imo, sound much better than creative.

just my two cents
Taz
May 6, 2008 6:35:10 PM

Well I have had Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro for ower two years, and there has not been single problem with that card. And the sound is reasonable good too for gaming card. Ofcourse some real music cards would be better, but because I occasionally allso do some playing the Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro was my choise...

It's pity that Microsoft desided that direct sound and direct music are not nessesary in todays computers... It caused somewhat havoc among gaming sound environment...
May 22, 2008 8:06:58 PM

Just to get back to criticizing Razer

I have a Razer Barracuda AC-1 and it's a MAJOR disappointment!
I can't record with it because the sound level is too low (Win XP). Razer support won't deal with the problem even though they admit it exists.
Also, the sound output to your speakers or headphones is DELAYED by something like 50 to 100 milliseconds, so if you're gaming you're at a disadvantage!
Too late to return it...now it's just expensive garbage to me, in a drawer with other old PC crap!
I think I'll do what some other people have done and just send their card back to them smashed.

:fou: 
May 23, 2008 5:15:51 PM

Xonar is the Best Soundcard it exists toda, Creative is really crap, quit them on Audigy 2ZS.-

Xonar is the best, google it, and ou will find out for yourself!
Max.-
!