Sign in with
Your question

Any word about 9800gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2008 6:14:02 AM

Kind of looking forward to seeing this released.

More about : word 9800gtx

March 24, 2008 6:53:13 AM

As much as I hate to say it, looks like its basically going to be an overclocked G92 GTS with 3-way SLI support.
March 24, 2008 7:05:24 AM

nVidia will have to give people a good reason to buy this, other than 3-Way SLi which is aimed only at the high-high end of PC users...

Johnny Mainstream will only want a maximum of 2 of these in his rig.. at which point the 8800GTS will be the best choice cost / performance wise.

Which leads me to believe this card wont be as bad as we think, as the GX2 and 9600GT have both proved similarly over recent weeks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 7:25:00 AM

Im much more looking forward to this card than the x2. The reasons are many, better ocing, cooler solution, maybe a 1gig coming for better perf using higher res. If this comes in at the low $300, it will make it competitive to the 8800GTX. I have a feeling, when someone SLIs these, with oc and possibly in a 2 gig gddr setup, that theres going to be some really good perf coming from this setup, even single
March 24, 2008 9:33:28 AM

i wish it launch in 1gb form.as 512 is very very limited as review have shown when it compare to the old Ultra which has 768MB of Video ram.have you seen it?
March 24, 2008 9:34:07 AM

or the 8800GTS 512mb which are the same thing shows the same effect.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 9:44:05 AM

I havnt seen it, no. But im hoping....
March 24, 2008 9:46:32 AM

there are alot of review showing the 9800GX2 to ultra.because the 9800GX2 is actually have 512mb each core!so its not as if ultra sli together to form 1.5GB in between.so in 1920 and above res with ultra high quality and AA on will perform slower than ultra.

or some of the thing i said is for 8800gts 512?hum... let me find you some links!:D 
March 24, 2008 11:16:44 AM

dev1se said:
nVidia will have to give people a good reason to buy this, other than 3-Way SLi which is aimed only at the high-high end of PC users...

Johnny Mainstream will only want a maximum of 2 of these in his rig.. at which point the 8800GTS will be the best choice cost / performance wise.

Which leads me to believe this card wont be as bad as we think, as the GX2 and 9600GT have both proved similarly over recent weeks.

I wouldn't expect a Johnny Mainstream to spend $200 on an SLI board and another $600 on (2) 8800GTS cards.

I like to think of myself as a budget enthusiast and will probably never SLI. Once in a blue moon I think about doing it, then I sit back and ask myself, what games can't my 8800GT run? Crysis on Ultra High? I'm fine with that. And I'm pretty sure Johnny Mainstream is as well.

I'm not trying to attack your statement by any means. I just feel that people that post here don't realize who Johnny Mainstream is. Johnny Mainstream doesn't want to spend more than $1000 on a computer. And Johnny certainly doesn't want to spend more than $250 on a graphics card. Johnny is also usually deceived by nVidia's SLI marketing that 2 > 1. Because of this, Johnny will SLI with 8600GTs and think he has a spiffy enthusiast rig.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 11:24:05 AM

I agree, and thats why they call the mainstream cards mainstream. Now if thet could only improve those igps....
March 24, 2008 11:37:20 AM

I was looking forward to this card, until I found out it was another **** refresh of the G92's which really disappointed me. So I could care less about the 9800 GTX, at least I'm glad that the GX2 is doing well - which most likely be my future upgrade.
March 24, 2008 12:25:41 PM

Dear my fellow citizens
I have an important point to make on the subject of allowing Nvidia to pass off their remaining wafer inventory and rebranding it under the umbrella of a hyped up marketing plan designed to maximize shareholder value whilst taking advantage of their existing customer base..

It is important for those who have currently and through our hard work purchased a fine GPU specimen from the Nvidia 8800 line to thoroughly examine exactly how Nvidia's marketing department decided that '08 was to be the year that garbage dumping their remaining inventory upon the unknowingly, not mindful, and negligent general population has set the stage for a 40% drop in the stock price, forfeiting market share to ATI as well as served to take for granted the fact that like most of us on this forum take our time and have the intelligence to examine thoroughly what we are buying and why. Cheers! may we share drink and be merry!

The rest that don't see the obvious and relinquish themselves to blissful negligence and thoughtlessness -
CAVEAT EMPTOR
Thank goodness for these forums empowering us towards informed decision making.
Best of luck with your purchases

Blackwater11
!