Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD 9950 BE OC Share Info

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 30, 2008 11:01:23 AM

You're invited to share your AMD 9950 BE quad core overclock adventures!

Just got mine yesterday Wednesday the 29th of October, so theres still a lot to discover about what this CPU can do!

Well so far I've successfully acheived 16x multi 3.2G @ 1.425 but that seemed kinda hot temp wise, so creeping up to the proper Vcore is next on the test list, I don't want to run Vcore any higher than I have to!

Presently the CPU is running at 3.0G, on auto vcore? That was a surprise with this cpu, to get a 400mhz increase by just changing the multi from 13 to 15, no manual vcore increase.

I'm air cooling with a Zalman 9700
Running an ASUS Crosshair II Formula M/B
4G 2 x 2 Corsair Dominator 8500
2 BFG 8800GT in SLI Bios Flashed to 726/1819/1003
500G Seagate SATA II
X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Soundcard
Silverstone OP1000W Power Supply
Plextor DVDRW PX-716A
Running Vista Home Premium 64

Its a known fact every CPU is different and different results will be acheived by different hardware combinations, but please post your 9950 BE O/Cing results so we can compare notes, so far this CPU has surpassed my concerns of being possibly a less performer than my 5400+ BE dual core, it has definitely surpassed the 5400+s benchmark results with the 5400+ OCd to 3.2G.

Have a great day everyone! Ryan

More about : amd 9950 share info

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 30, 2008 11:13:35 PM

For my situation 3.2G @ 1.425Vcore 38c idle and even under graphics load, CPU intensive goes to 47c, its rock solid and stable, don't think she'll reach 3.4G on air, unless it can be done at this Vcore setting.

3Dmark06 = 15,792 in SLI with 2 BFG 8800GT CPU = 4204[Thats double my dual core]

Man these quad cores are awesome! Talk about multi-tasking!!!
October 31, 2008 8:04:39 AM

Air Cooling with coolermaster z600 and a noisy delta fan.
medicore A-DATA 2 X 2 GB DDR2 800.

It seems 3.0 GHz is the sweet spot for this CPU, with the help of ACC. You need not raise the vcore too much, probably at stock or up to 1.35v and it will survive 24 hours of prime95 at least. And the heat generated is under control.

But without ACC it will max at 2.9, stock voltage. 3.0 requires a terrible rise in vcore to 1.4 range.

With ACC 3.2 at 1.400v may be possible (well my 9950 can), if the heat generated is well tackled.

If the core teaperature shown in coretemp reach 55c to 60c probably errors are going to pop out in prime95. I guess it is underestimated because the temp under the CPU socket is 5c higher.

For me the biggest problem now lies in the lack of software support for on-demand overclocking. Both the newest version of RMclock and CrystalCPUID do not work with Phenom in this area. So I just leave it at 2.6 in most case.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 31, 2008 1:41:18 PM

@wilsonkf

Would you list your specs Please?

Thank You for the response, I'm in hopes this thread can turn into a source of info on OCing the 9950 BE, with not only the core cpu acheivements but how the performance relates to differing hardware combinations.
November 1, 2008 3:26:14 PM

I've got a 9950 overclocked to 3037MHz with no problems at all. The FSB is 225MHz with a multiplier of 13.5. Entirely stable for weeks now. I have run it up to 3.2GHz, but it wasn't completely stable. Higher multipliers with lower FSB speeds weren't as stable as increasing the FSB.

The memory is only running at a 900 MHz rate though. I couldn't get the full 1066 to be stable with overclocking. Temps don't go over 40 with a heavy load, 37 normally.

I didn't play with any voltages to get here, it just worked out of the box like this.

The system is :

MSI K9A2 790fx motherboard
AMD Phenon X4 9950 Black 2600 overclocked to 3037 stock cooler
BFG 9800GT 512MB
4G 4x1G DDR2-1066 OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2GK
XP 32

I use this for CAD and any further speedups didn't seem to be worth the effort to get stable. 17% out of the box overclocked seems great. I'll wait for the 45nm cores to come out next year.... maybe they will go to 4GHz. :) 

Dan
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 1, 2008 4:14:16 PM

@amdDan

I was running the OCZ 4 X 1G and you have to set the Timings settings including the DDR2 voltage manually, and when you raise the multiplier past default on any AMD I've OCd so far you'll need to keep the FSB at 200, at least that holds true with Nvidia chipsets.

You'd need to research your OCZ memory at OCZ to get the exact timings and voltages for your modules but if I remember correctly it takes 2.1V but you may need 2.2v to reach 1066, check the OCZ website.

Raising the FSB is the norm for OCing, however with an unlocked multiplier, anytime you increase the multiplier past the CPUs default setting if the FSB is beyond its default, you won't get far with your OCing, its almost guaranteed to crash every time.

I would suggest since you're running XP 32 to drop down to 2G of memory, 2G is really the sweet spot for WinXP32, set your OCZ memory settings and voltage manually, keep the FSB at 200, try a 16X multi on 1.425v vcore, boot and see what happens that should give you 3200+mhz.

Its very important with OCZ memory to set your settings manually, I definitely learned that the hard way, once your timings are manually set OCZ performs extremely well.

This is just a suggestion, if you're satisfied where you are then disregard!

CPUZ is for some reason incorrectly reporting the Core VID it is actually set at 1.4250V
November 22, 2008 4:11:29 AM

Can someone link me to somewhere that will help me overclocking a 9950 BE
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 22, 2008 10:23:14 AM

Quote:
slimebucket says "Can someone link me to somewhere that will help me overclocking a 9950 BE"

I'm assuming since you're asking this question your overclocking skills are missing in action, there are guides for OCing AMDs in the main OCing section, but I don't think those guides cover an unlocked multiplier CPU.

The 9950 BE has an unlocked multiplier which means to overclock it you simply have to increase the multiplier from stock and raise the Vcore voltage to the CPU so it will run stable at the higher multiplier.

Important thing is keeping it cool so you can make those adjustments and they stay stable.

List your specs?

November 22, 2008 3:38:35 PM

I used to be a master OC'er back in the day actually... using liquid cooling, and OCing athlon 64 3000+'s to extremes

It has just been so long since I have done ANY OCing at all... like I over clocked my computer 3 years ago and I did such a well job it has lasted me until now without needing to upgrade.

I was just wondering if there is anything unique to over clocking the 9950 BE, if theres anying settings that work best with it ect ect

My system is

Antec Neo Power 500w SLI ready
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI

VGA Geforce 9800GT 512 x2 SLI

Transend 4gig(2gbx2) x 2 for 8gigs memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

and im using my old IDE 250 gig hard drive my my old computer.

Extra cooling

Ram heatsinks x 2
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU fan - $36

A few thoughts I was having was

1) Is the powersupply good enough for my rig? Would I need a better one for OCing?
I've seen computers jsut as powerful as mine with only a 450 watt PSU in it so I figured 500 watts for my system should be fine.

2) I think my system should be good enough for OCing... If I OC'ed everything I could, CPU, RAM, and both GPU's, how much of a preformance increase will there be?
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 23, 2008 9:01:37 AM

slimebucket said:
I used to be a master OC'er back in the day actually... using liquid cooling, and OCing athlon 64 3000+'s to extremes

It has just been so long since I have done ANY OCing at all... like I over clocked my computer 3 years ago and I did such a well job it has lasted me until now without needing to upgrade.

I was just wondering if there is anything unique to over clocking the 9950 BE, if theres anying settings that work best with it ect ect

My system is

Antec Neo Power 500w SLI ready

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI

VGA Geforce 9800GT 512 x2 SLI

Transend 4gig(2gbx2) x 2 for 8gigs memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

and im using my old IDE 250 gig hard drive my my old computer.

Extra cooling

Ram heatsinks x 2

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU fan - $36

A few thoughts I was having was

1) Is the powersupply good enough for my rig? Would I need a better one for OCing?
I've seen computers jsut as powerful as mine with only a 450 watt PSU in it so I figured 500 watts for my system should be fine.

2) I think my system should be good enough for OCing... If I OC'ed everything I could, CPU, RAM, and both GPU's, how much of a preformance increase will there be?

1 = No it is not! 2 9800GT in SLI OC'd along with the CPU will draw more power than you've allowed, your setup will draw as much or more power than mine and I have 2 8800GT in SLI overclocked.
The PC Power & Cooling has a single 60A 12v rail specifically designed to support powerful SLI and Crossfire setups, and is excellent for your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

2 = Since you know what you do about OCing, you know all hardware is different and its not a cookie cutter setup, meaning different people get different results even with the exact same hardware.
The 9950 should easily give you an increase of 600mhz on air cooling, more on water, the GPUs also should give a good increase although performance wise the 8800 GTS 512 is a better choice IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

3 The memory you've chosen should be rethought out for sure, to take full advantage of the Phenom you should have bought PC2-8500/1066mhz memory, probably should have asked these questions before you bought your components, of course you get what you pay for, Nice M/B by the way!
November 23, 2008 6:11:04 PM

yeah, I was on a really strict budget

So I decided to build my system in a way where it is close to top of the line, yet still upgradeable for when I have more money.

I can change the PSU, Memory and video cards on my own time, but at least I will have a decent system until I do that :) 

I know I want a better PSU and memory thats for sure,

but I can't decide on what ghx cards to upgrade to. I'm thinking of going for 2 geforce 9800gx2's

I think i am going to wait for boxing day and see if I can get a good deal then... but until then I need a working computer ><
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2008 5:22:14 PM

Having real problems OC'ing this CPU always fails on retstart and i cannot for the life of me figure out why :S im new OC'ing but the utilities on my mobo seem to make it pretty simple, except it doesn't work! Had the clock speed to 2.8ghz and the voltage @ 1.2 but it just won't work :(  i've tried ALL the voltages i have available to me by the mobo and still no dice :( . If any1 could help me it would be very greatly appreciated. my mobo is an Asus M3N78-VM, budget board but came rcommended by various reviews and i was on a tight budget myself so i decided to go it.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 24, 2008 10:45:09 PM

Quote:
Having real problems OC'ing this CPU always fails on retstart and i cannot for the life of me figure out why :S im new OC'ing but the utilities on my mobo seem to make it pretty simple, except it doesn't work! Had the clock speed to 2.8ghz and the voltage @ 1.2 but it just won't work :(  i've tried ALL the voltages i have available to me by the mobo and still no dice :( . If any1 could help me it would be very greatly appreciated. my mobo is an Asus M3N78-VM, budget board but came rcommended by various reviews and i was on a tight budget myself so i decided to go it.

First major obstacle I encountered even though I have a high end ASUS M/B was it didn't properly set my DDR2 slot voltage or my Memory timings, I had to set those manually and after they were manually set it was like a different M/B, It Worked!!!

You can get your timings and voltage for the memory from the memory manufacturers website, if they're not stamped on the modules already.

If you'll list your specs, it will aid in helping you.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2008 11:08:57 PM

-AMD Phenom 9950 BE (obv :p )
-Asus M3N78-VM
-BFG 9800 GT oc'd
-NorthQ 650watt PSU
-2gb 1066mhz Corsair Dominator
-640gb Samsung Spinpoint HDD
-Samsung DVD-RW
-Zalman CNPS9500 (mistake, should of bought the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro!)

Yeh thems me specs, hope that helps. Not quite sure how to go about messing with the RAM voltages on this mobo tho but im sure ill figure it out.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 25, 2008 3:17:23 AM

@bamb00zle

2G 1066 Corsair Dominator

DDR2 Slot Voltage 2.1v
Mem Clock Freq = DDR2 1066
Tcl = 5
Trcd = 5
Trp = 5
Tras = 15
1T/2T = 2T
Gang = Enabled
Remap = Enabled
Skew = Auto

You have to set your overclocking to manual to access the manual setting of the memory timings.

AI = Manual
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 25, 2008 3:25:48 AM

slimebucket said:
ok, so does Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro

only work on intel's?

the spec's only list intel chips, but when I look the part up on google it it is listed as a intel / amd cooler

I am really confused and do not know if I should replace it??

Thats Intel only, according to the listed specs, and IMO the Freezer Pro is a crap cooler!

Previously owned one, didn't perform as well as the AMD heatpipe stock cooler, gave it away, waste of money!

You want cool this will do it!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2008 7:25:10 AM

Weird my account got deleted. :S Yeh i wouldnt recommend that zalman one either for AMD though :p . I have tat exact cooler and because of the positioning of the brackets that hold the HS and Fan the draws air off the GPU and pushes it out into the PSU which is not good, mine with that cooler on only runs about on average 1 degree cooler than with the stock and thats on stock volatges/clock speeds etc. @ 4ryan6 tyvm for the info ill give it a blast today n see what happens :p 
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 26, 2008 10:18:49 AM

Quote:
Yeh i wouldnt recommend that zalman one either for AMD though :p . I have tat exact cooler and because of the positioning of the brackets that hold the HS and Fan the draws air off the GPU and pushes it out into the PSU which is not good, mine with that cooler on only runs about on average 1 degree cooler than with the stock and thats on stock volatges/clock speeds etc.

That Zalman comes with an alternate set of mounting brackets for AMD, its knotched and goes through the heatpipes and allows mounting the Zalman 90 degrees from the socket alignment.

Its even visable in the Newegg picture of mounting hardware, its the clip to the left in the picture.
November 27, 2008 4:56:55 PM

Ya Zalman looks good

I want to set my rig up asap, and this is the last part I have to get...

I looked everywhere for a zlaman in a store, but cannot :(  I do not feel like ordering it because that will take a long time :( 

I found a computer store that will take my cooler and replace it with the AMD version (for a fee tho, like $10)

I thought like futureshop and or London drugs would sell Zalman stuff but they dont... I checked out every specialty computer store in my area and NO one has anything from zalman ><
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 1, 2008 12:45:50 AM

Well the AMD heatpipe coolers are OK, but will limit your OC.
December 1, 2008 1:48:08 AM

Just a thanks to this forum and all that have posted. I overclocked my first today and with the advice here my 9950 in a M3A78-T is up and stable at 3.0 just by giong into the bios and changing the multiplier from 13 to 15 it was all very simple. Thanks again. captksmh
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 1, 2008 10:08:19 AM

captksmh said:
Just a thanks to this forum and all that have posted. I overclocked my first today and with the advice here my 9950 in a M3A78-T is up and stable at 3.0 just by giong into the bios and changing the multiplier from 13 to 15 it was all very simple. Thanks again. captksmh

If you don't mind would you list your full specs so others can compare their hardware, it may help someone else, and you're welcome, thats what this thread is for!
December 1, 2008 4:56:54 PM

AAh mines the 9500 and doesnt hacve that clip only the larger one, that really sucks :S, still thanks for the advice on the OC'ing. I got the RAM voltages sorted out and now i've got it the CPU @ 3ghz. My specs are listed further up as "anonymous" for some reaosn lol. 33-36 degrees C idle and 40-45 under load, not too shabby :) .
December 3, 2008 6:02:04 PM

Ok my machine came in, I got it built, and now im having a really bad problem..

If I use more than 1 stick of ram with my 9950 BE it will not boot, go to bios or do anything!!

It worked for 2 days just fine, then on the third day it wouldnt boot!

The only way I could finally get it to boot was to remove all ram sticks but 1

I removed both GPU's, even the hard drive, and I STILL couldnt get it to boot or go to bios with more than 1 stick of ram!

I do not understand wtf is going on.

All the parts are brand new... IT WAS working for 2 days.. I didnt change any settings and this happened...

I have found other people on the internet having this problem as well, with the same story, they built the machine with new parts, a week later it does this.

Please I have tried everything! any bios settings that would do this? Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I NEED my computer for school and right now i got a **** load of final projects and I cannot send back the parts, wait to get them fixed or replaced, then sent back to me... IM WAY TO SWAMPED with projects!

this sucks cuz I went and bought vista 64 so I could use 8 gigs ram, now I can only use 2 gigs....if I want more ram I have to get a 4gig ram chip or something...

It doesnt matter what size the ram chip is, I can only have 1 running at a time
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 3, 2008 8:55:23 PM

@ slimebucket

??? I'm a little confused here? the parts you previously listed were not in your possession but ordered? is that the case?

If it is list now exactly what you have?
December 3, 2008 9:46:12 PM

Yes. Before I ordered them and they where in shipping.

I finally recieved the parts and built the computer.

At first it wouldnt boot if I had 4 ram slots in. It would boot with 2 ram sticks in tho, so I used that for a day until I got vista 64.

After installing vista64 I tried with all 4 ram slots.

It worked for a day, then the next day it wouldnt boot.

Now it only works with 1 ram stick in.

occasionally I can get it to run with 2 sticks of ram, but it only runs for 5 minutes before freezing
December 3, 2008 10:21:06 PM

700 wat rocket fish PSU

ASUS M3N HT DELUXE motherboard

9950 BE

8 gigs transend 800 ram

artic cooling pro 64

no gpu's while I fix this problem, using on board VGA
(my gpus are 2x geforce 9800gt EVGA)
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 12:18:10 AM

I would suggest starting out with 4G, of the 8G of memory you have and when you're up and running, solid and stable then add in the additional 4G.

You're going to have to manually set the DDR2 slot voltage, its 1.8V for your Transcend memory and the only other timings I could find were cas 5, so you could try:
Tcl = 5,
Trcd = 5,
Trp = 5,
Tras = 15 or 18,
1T/2T = 2T,
Gang = enabled,
Remap = enabled.
Try those setting lock them in manually, and see what happens.
December 4, 2008 12:24:37 AM

Thank you very much for the response.

I will try that on my computer when I get home and let you know if it works

thank you for the timings... I looker everywhere cond couldnt find them for transend... I didnt know If I soould use 4 4 4 12 or 5 5 5 18

if that doesnt work I am going to go through EVERY bios setting I can and see if I can manually set them (if I can figure out the correct specs and what not)

I suspect it being BIOS problem because with 1 stick it works fine.

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 12:42:37 AM

Your M/B layout and bios is almost identical to mine, what kind of CPU cooling do you have?

Nevermind I see you have the Artic Cooling Freezer Pro.

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 12:55:55 AM

Heres my bios settings

Extreme Tweaker

AI Tuning= Manual
CPU Freq = 200
CPU Multi = 16X
K8 NB HT Speed = 2Ghz
K8 NB HT Width = 16 16
Pci-E = 100
CPU-NB Multi = 10X
V-Core = 1.4250V

Note you'll need really good air cooling to run the 16X multi @ 1.4250V.

You should be able to run a 15X multi on Auto V-Core

If your air cooling and case air flow is good you may be able to run these 16X settings.
December 4, 2008 7:15:36 AM

My 9950 BE doesn't want to go over 3.1ghz :S, runs at 3.1 good and stable. Unfortunately if i take it to 3.2 it BSOD when loading windows :S, doubt its a problem with my OS cos that's working fine at all other times. Temps are all good so its not overheating :S.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 4, 2008 11:39:41 AM

bamb00zle said:
My 9950 BE doesn't want to go over 3.1ghz :S, runs at 3.1 good and stable. Unfortunately if i take it to 3.2 it BSOD when loading windows :S, doubt its a problem with my OS cos that's working fine at all other times. Temps are all good so its not overheating :S.

What CPU cooling are you using and what are your good temps?

With AMDs unlocked multiplier when you raise the multiplier and the vcore to attain a stable overclock, its more sensitive to heat.

All hardware is different I arrived at my voltages and multiplier after hours and hours of testing and benching, you've been given a shortcut, as I've already told you you may or may not be able to run my same settings, your hardware may allow a 16X to be run at 1.400V for all you know at this moment, you have to test the machine through different multis, and different Vcore voltages.

I can get better results than most on air because I have a performance modified case, one of my mods is the installation of a chamber plate that separates the CPU from the GPU sections, also relocating my hardrive cage, so my CPU only gets fresh outside air, no preheated air of any kind, that makes a major difference in overall cooling.

Note to Slimebucket: With the 9950BE you really should have gotten 1066 memory 2 x 2G = 4G absolutely fine for Vista64.
For anything except maybe CAD design, High end Video production,Etc. 8G was really way overkill!

No Offense but I think the memory you've chosen is going to hold you back on your OC.
December 4, 2008 3:49:11 PM

Hey 4ryan6

Yeah, I was going to get 1066 ram, but I had a tight budget, so I decided to get enough parts to get the computer running, but allow me to upgrade when I had more money...

I tried what you told me, nothing.

Before I go out and spend money on 1066 ram I want to know for sure it will work.

I tried everything, I went through bios and manually set everything for cpu and ram.

nothing.

I tried 5 5 5 16, t2 nothing

tried 4 4 4 12 , t2, nothing

tried 6 6 6 16, t2, nothing

Whats reallllly f'ed up is... I checked CPUz and it told me my ram was running at PC6400 400mhz!

I checked many different types of ram cards, and every time I looked at CPUz it said every time they where 400mhz... some times 440...

so I changed ram type in BIOS from 800 to 400

AND IT WORKED! BIOS ran with more than 1 stick of ram, windows ran... but when I tried to play crysis, it ran for 5 minutes, then I got a BSOD.

but if I do not play crysis my machine will run with more than 1 stick of ram if it is set to 400mhz... wtf

I over clocked my cpu to 3.2 ghz stable (multiplier x13, and 240 freq)

that was without even trying.. I had it up at 3.9ghz, and it seemed stable, but I had no need to overkill OC it so I set it down.

I have an Antec 300 case with plenty of fans. My psu is at the bottem, no where near my cpu, I have 2 large in my case where the psu usually is, as well as a fan on the power converter chip heatsink beside the cpu, and an artic cooling pro 64 on the cpu. it creates like cyclone of air ath the top of the case,

top fan sucks in air into the case, cpu and other internal fans suck air in and push it out towards the back fan, and it pushes it all out of the case.

atm I am making a mod to remove my psu from the tower. It is the number one source of heat, and I want it away from my GPU's.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the cpu... like I can overclock it wonderfully... im so mad my ram isnt working because I want to focus on modding my case and overclocking my cpu!!

I would consider myself very tech savvy, but I am at wits end with this problem.. I do not know what to do..

I am going to take my cpu to a computer store an d get them to test it in one of there machines and see if it truly is the cpu. If so I am going to get the store to write me a note saying they looked at the cpu and it is faulty, and not do to any mis use on my part so when I go to RMA it theres no issues.

December 4, 2008 3:59:53 PM

When over clocking I know what most the stuff does,

but not these

K8 NB HT Speed = 2Ghz (huh? I read the manual for the motherboard and I still dont get wtf this is)

K8 NB HT Width = 16 16 ( same with this)

Pci-E = 100 (is this overclocking the PCI-E slot allowing more flow through the port? If I am going to OC my gpu's do I need to fiddle with this?)

CPU-NB Multi = 10X (this have something to do with CPU multiplier? I have this set to auto)

WHen I overclocked all I did was set cpu freq to 240, cpu multiplier to 13. Everything else is default or auto and its 3.2 ghz stable.

I put the freq to 300 and multiplyer to 25 and it was at 3.9ghz! lol I thought for sure it wouldnt run at that, but it did.. at constant 45 degrees celcius..

I though 3.9ghz was extreme over kill so I set it back to 240 freq with 13x multi to be safe
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 5, 2008 12:23:29 AM

My settings are with 1066 memory.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 6, 2008 11:03:33 AM

@Slimebucket

The AMD Q9950BE has an unlocked multiplier, the wonderful thing about an unlocked multiplier is you can go either direction with it, you can lower it which puts you in the raising the FSB method of overclocking, or you can raise the multiplier and leave the FSB stock, and raise the Vcore if necessary for a rock solid overclock with all parameters staying within their specifications.

If you take the raising the multiplier route from say 13 to 15, if the FSB and HT are not their stock or default specifications, it will crash every time, but that only happens when the multiplier is raised, above the CPUs stock multiplier setting, however the FSB if its default setting is 200mhz, has to be manually set to 200mhz, not auto, some M/Bs automatically increase the FSB, and that will cause problems.

The key to overclocking an AMD with an unlocked multiplier by raising the multiplier is keeping the CPU cool enough to take increasing the Vcore voltage that the CPU operates at, theres a sweet spot balance between the ratio of the increased multiplier vs the Vcore, and its different for each hardware configuration.

The benefit of overclocking an AMD with an unlocked multiplier by raising the multiplier is once you find the sweet spot between the multiplier and Vcore voltage setting, you're there!, rock solid with everything within its specifications.

In the past AMDs unlocked multiplier CPUs were expensive, you had to spend some serious money to attain an unlocked multiplier CPU, the Skt939 FX57, and FX60, were good examples of that, however today AMD is releasing their unlocked multiplier CPUs like candy, simply because performance wise Intel is standing on AMDs nuts.

However its almost mind boggling that so many with the prize BEs in their possession don't seem to get the full potential of what the CPU can deliver and choose to overclock IMO the hard way, but as long as you attain the end result of a rock solid and stable machine, go for it and good luck.

Just keep one thing in mind, theres a big difference between a temporary claim of some astronomical clock figure, but wouldn't run the first bench without crashing, or be stable enough to get a screen shot of, and a rock solid dependable machine.

And just because you can run Prime95 for 20hrs doesn't mean you'll be able to run your favorite 3D game you love 5min, unless that machine is overclocked with a rock solid and completely stable overclock.

Hope this comment helps, not just you, but anyone else that reads it! Ryan

December 9, 2008 10:51:28 AM

@4ryan6, ive got it steady at 3ghz but its only running at like 35 degrees C so i cn see how OC'ing it to 3.2 would make it crash due to temp issues. I think its my mobo thats holding me back, i might get a new one lol. Also i cant get the memory SPD up to 533 :S i think the mobo just wont let it get the voltage it needs. Dont spose you know of any software that lets me play with that in windows?
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 9, 2008 1:30:55 PM

@bamb00zle

The Asus M3N78-VM is really not an overclocking M/B, its pretty much bullet proof at stock settings, and it is definitely 1066 memory capable, and also Phenom 140w capable, so without being able to directly look at your bios to see how you've got it set I won't be much help to you.

To my knowledge there is no software on the planet that will allow an operating system overclock of a M/B thats not hardware capable of running those settings in the first place.

All my settings are already posted here as a guide, but as I've previously said anyone may or may not be able with their hardware to run the same or better settings, even with the same identical motherboad.

ASUS is really a get what you pay for company, and they're not going to give you a host of OCing options on their budget M/Bs, however there may be an available BIOS flash for it that addresses some issues you may be encountering, have you checked for that?
December 9, 2008 2:02:16 PM

Yeh i did just earlier today and i ahve now flashed it with the new bios. Which definitely helped theres now a lot more options for adjustments with my CPU. But im sure i read somewhere that there's software available for AMD mobos and CPU that allows you to manipulate things like the RAM voltages and FSB: DRAM ratios etc. I think it was called A64 info couldn't be sure though. Anyhow im still not able to get the RAM to run at 1066mhz :S it boots but then crashes shortly after. I know the mobo isn't brill tbh i didnt have the budget for a particular good one at the time.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 9, 2008 8:41:49 PM

@ bamb00zle

You have the Corsair Dominator 1066 2 x 2g = 4g set right?

Its slot DDR2 voltage is 2.1v, what is the bios setting it to?

Can you adjust the DDR2 slot voltage at all?
December 9, 2008 9:02:26 PM

Nah ive got the 2 x 1gb set but that's irrelevant cos the voltages are still the same. Yeh i cant find any options to manually change the voltages in my bios :( . I think i may just scrap it n buy a new good one once ive saved up. Btw why do you have your system fans on the outside on your rig? (well 2 of the 3 u can see in those pics anyway).
December 9, 2008 9:03:56 PM

lol ok after i posted that i can now see the full pic lol. but yeh u still have some on the outside, how come?
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 9, 2008 10:52:13 PM

bamb00zle said:
lol ok after i posted that i can now see the full pic lol. but yeh u still have some on the outside, how come?

All my exhaust fans are mounted on the outside of the case, it eliminates the turbulence produced on all four sides of the fan body itself, which hinders a good airflow path.

Do you understand?

Heres another good laugh for you LOL.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248242-28-thinking-major-case-pics

December 10, 2008 7:23:02 AM

Yeh yeh i get it, might look into doing something like that myself once i get a new case. Recommend any good ones for cooling?
December 10, 2008 7:32:57 AM

Btw, dont the top two exhuast fans interrupt your airflow across your CPU?
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 10, 2008 12:41:19 PM

bamb00zle said:
Yeh yeh i get it, might look into doing something like that myself once i get a new case. Recommend any good ones for cooling?

All the 140mm are Sharkoon, they produce enough CFM for my needs, the 120mm are Thermaltake if I remember correctly, the 120s were bought locally, the 140s were bought from CrazyPC.

Well made steel cases mod better than most others, tips and reccommendations are good, but you're better off in the long run by doing your own research, and choosing what best fits your needs and goals.

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 10, 2008 12:55:22 PM

bamb00zle said:
Btw, dont the top two exhuast fans interrupt your airflow across your CPU?

No the fans are controlled by fan controllers, 140mm fans don't produce the CFM or noise levels that 120mms do, so even throttled back they're removing air but not, with a high volume of airflow, they're throttled back anyway.

I also have a 120mm accelerator fan in front of the Zalman Cooler, so its getting an extreme amount of fresh air, I've considered a second baffle plate above the CPU to section off the CPU section period, and reversing the 140mm airflow of the front blowhole to input, which will produce a circulating airflow over the Hardrive carriage, its really not necessary with the fan controllers, but may end up being a final mod to the machine. Who Knows? :D 

December 10, 2008 3:04:18 PM

Haha, would be a bit extreme. By the way don't spose you've ever used a program called super pi? i wouldn't mind knowing what your 3.2ghz gets in comparison with my 3ghz :p , its free and quite an interesting tool for CPU speed testing.
!