AMD 9950 BE OC Share Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're invited to share your AMD 9950 BE quad core overclock adventures!

Just got mine yesterday Wednesday the 29th of October, so theres still a lot to discover about what this CPU can do!

Well so far I've successfully acheived 16x multi 3.2G @ 1.425 but that seemed kinda hot temp wise, so creeping up to the proper Vcore is next on the test list, I don't want to run Vcore any higher than I have to!

Presently the CPU is running at 3.0G, on auto vcore? That was a surprise with this cpu, to get a 400mhz increase by just changing the multi from 13 to 15, no manual vcore increase.

I'm air cooling with a Zalman 9700
Running an ASUS Crosshair II Formula M/B
4G 2 x 2 Corsair Dominator 8500
2 BFG 8800GT in SLI Bios Flashed to 726/1819/1003
500G Seagate SATA II
X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Soundcard
Silverstone OP1000W Power Supply
Plextor DVDRW PX-716A
Running Vista Home Premium 64

Its a known fact every CPU is different and different results will be acheived by different hardware combinations, but please post your 9950 BE O/Cing results so we can compare notes, so far this CPU has surpassed my concerns of being possibly a less performer than my 5400+ BE dual core, it has definitely surpassed the 5400+s benchmark results with the 5400+ OCd to 3.2G.

Have a great day everyone! Ryan

For my situation 3.2G @ 1.425Vcore 38c idle and even under graphics load, CPU intensive goes to 47c, its rock solid and stable, don't think she'll reach 3.4G on air, unless it can be done at this Vcore setting.

3Dmark06 = 15,792 in SLI with 2 BFG 8800GT CPU = 4204[Thats double my dual core]

Man these quad cores are awesome! Talk about multi-tasking!!!

wilsonkf

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Air Cooling with coolermaster z600 and a noisy delta fan.
medicore A-DATA 2 X 2 GB DDR2 800.

It seems 3.0 GHz is the sweet spot for this CPU, with the help of ACC. You need not raise the vcore too much, probably at stock or up to 1.35v and it will survive 24 hours of prime95 at least. And the heat generated is under control.

But without ACC it will max at 2.9, stock voltage. 3.0 requires a terrible rise in vcore to 1.4 range.

With ACC 3.2 at 1.400v may be possible (well my 9950 can), if the heat generated is well tackled.

If the core teaperature shown in coretemp reach 55c to 60c probably errors are going to pop out in prime95. I guess it is underestimated because the temp under the CPU socket is 5c higher.

For me the biggest problem now lies in the lack of software support for on-demand overclocking. Both the newest version of RMclock and CrystalCPUID do not work with Phenom in this area. So I just leave it at 2.6 in most case.

@wilsonkf

Would you list your specs Please?

Thank You for the response, I'm in hopes this thread can turn into a source of info on OCing the 9950 BE, with not only the core cpu acheivements but how the performance relates to differing hardware combinations.

amdDan

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I've got a 9950 overclocked to 3037MHz with no problems at all. The FSB is 225MHz with a multiplier of 13.5. Entirely stable for weeks now. I have run it up to 3.2GHz, but it wasn't completely stable. Higher multipliers with lower FSB speeds weren't as stable as increasing the FSB.

The memory is only running at a 900 MHz rate though. I couldn't get the full 1066 to be stable with overclocking. Temps don't go over 40 with a heavy load, 37 normally.

I didn't play with any voltages to get here, it just worked out of the box like this.

The system is :

MSI K9A2 790fx motherboard
AMD Phenon X4 9950 Black 2600 overclocked to 3037 stock cooler
BFG 9800GT 512MB
4G 4x1G DDR2-1066 OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2GK
XP 32

I use this for CAD and any further speedups didn't seem to be worth the effort to get stable. 17% out of the box overclocked seems great. I'll wait for the 45nm cores to come out next year.... maybe they will go to 4GHz. :)

Dan

@amdDan

I was running the OCZ 4 X 1G and you have to set the Timings settings including the DDR2 voltage manually, and when you raise the multiplier past default on any AMD I've OCd so far you'll need to keep the FSB at 200, at least that holds true with Nvidia chipsets.

You'd need to research your OCZ memory at OCZ to get the exact timings and voltages for your modules but if I remember correctly it takes 2.1V but you may need 2.2v to reach 1066, check the OCZ website.

Raising the FSB is the norm for OCing, however with an unlocked multiplier, anytime you increase the multiplier past the CPUs default setting if the FSB is beyond its default, you won't get far with your OCing, its almost guaranteed to crash every time.

I would suggest since you're running XP 32 to drop down to 2G of memory, 2G is really the sweet spot for WinXP32, set your OCZ memory settings and voltage manually, keep the FSB at 200, try a 16X multi on 1.425v vcore, boot and see what happens that should give you 3200+mhz.

Its very important with OCZ memory to set your settings manually, I definitely learned that the hard way, once your timings are manually set OCZ performs extremely well.

This is just a suggestion, if you're satisfied where you are then disregard!

AMD995032G.jpg

CPUZ is for some reason incorrectly reporting the Core VID it is actually set at 1.4250V

slimebucket says "Can someone link me to somewhere that will help me overclocking a 9950 BE"

I'm assuming since you're asking this question your overclocking skills are missing in action, there are guides for OCing AMDs in the main OCing section, but I don't think those guides cover an unlocked multiplier CPU.

The 9950 BE has an unlocked multiplier which means to overclock it you simply have to increase the multiplier from stock and raise the Vcore voltage to the CPU so it will run stable at the higher multiplier.

Important thing is keeping it cool so you can make those adjustments and they stay stable.

List your specs?

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I used to be a master OC'er back in the day actually... using liquid cooling, and OCing athlon 64 3000+'s to extremes

It has just been so long since I have done ANY OCing at all... like I over clocked my computer 3 years ago and I did such a well job it has lasted me until now without needing to upgrade.

I was just wondering if there is anything unique to over clocking the 9950 BE, if theres anying settings that work best with it ect ect

My system is

Antec Neo Power 500w SLI ready
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103940

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103291

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131343

VGA Geforce 9800GT 512 x2 SLI
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380

Transend 4gig(2gbx2) x 2 for 8gigs memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208353

and im using my old IDE 250 gig hard drive my my old computer.

Extra cooling

Ram heatsinks x 2
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119019

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU fan - $36
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

A few thoughts I was having was

1) Is the powersupply good enough for my rig? Would I need a better one for OCing?
I've seen computers jsut as powerful as mine with only a 450 watt PSU in it so I figured 500 watts for my system should be fine.

2) I think my system should be good enough for OCing... If I OC'ed everything I could, CPU, RAM, and both GPU's, how much of a preformance increase will there be?

1 = No it is not! 2 9800GT in SLI OC'd along with the CPU will draw more power than you've allowed, your setup will draw as much or more power than mine and I have 2 8800GT in SLI overclocked.
The PC Power & Cooling has a single 60A 12v rail specifically designed to support powerful SLI and Crossfire setups, and is excellent for your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

2 = Since you know what you do about OCing, you know all hardware is different and its not a cookie cutter setup, meaning different people get different results even with the exact same hardware.
The 9950 should easily give you an increase of 600mhz on air cooling, more on water, the GPUs also should give a good increase although performance wise the 8800 GTS 512 is a better choice IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

3 The memory you've chosen should be rethought out for sure, to take full advantage of the Phenom you should have bought PC2-8500/1066mhz memory, probably should have asked these questions before you bought your components, of course you get what you pay for, Nice M/B by the way!

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
yeah, I was on a really strict budget

So I decided to build my system in a way where it is close to top of the line, yet still upgradeable for when I have more money.

I can change the PSU, Memory and video cards on my own time, but at least I will have a decent system until I do that :)

I know I want a better PSU and memory thats for sure,

but I can't decide on what ghx cards to upgrade to. I'm thinking of going for 2 geforce 9800gx2's

I think i am going to wait for boxing day and see if I can get a good deal then... but until then I need a working computer ><

G

Having real problems OC'ing this CPU always fails on retstart and i cannot for the life of me figure out why :S im new OC'ing but the utilities on my mobo seem to make it pretty simple, except it doesn't work! Had the clock speed to 2.8ghz and the voltage @ 1.2 but it just won't work :( i've tried ALL the voltages i have available to me by the mobo and still no dice :(. If any1 could help me it would be very greatly appreciated. my mobo is an Asus M3N78-VM, budget board but came rcommended by various reviews and i was on a tight budget myself so i decided to go it.

Having real problems OC'ing this CPU always fails on retstart and i cannot for the life of me figure out why :S im new OC'ing but the utilities on my mobo seem to make it pretty simple, except it doesn't work! Had the clock speed to 2.8ghz and the voltage @ 1.2 but it just won't work :( i've tried ALL the voltages i have available to me by the mobo and still no dice :(. If any1 could help me it would be very greatly appreciated. my mobo is an Asus M3N78-VM, budget board but came rcommended by various reviews and i was on a tight budget myself so i decided to go it.

First major obstacle I encountered even though I have a high end ASUS M/B was it didn't properly set my DDR2 slot voltage or my Memory timings, I had to set those manually and after they were manually set it was like a different M/B, It Worked!!!

You can get your timings and voltage for the memory from the memory manufacturers website, if they're not stamped on the modules already.

If you'll list your specs, it will aid in helping you.

G

-AMD Phenom 9950 BE (obv :p)
-Asus M3N78-VM
-BFG 9800 GT oc'd
-NorthQ 650watt PSU
-2gb 1066mhz Corsair Dominator
-640gb Samsung Spinpoint HDD
-Samsung DVD-RW
-Zalman CNPS9500 (mistake, should of bought the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro!)

Yeh thems me specs, hope that helps. Not quite sure how to go about messing with the RAM voltages on this mobo tho but im sure ill figure it out.

@bamb00zle

2G 1066 Corsair Dominator

DDR2 Slot Voltage 2.1v
Mem Clock Freq = DDR2 1066
Tcl = 5
Trcd = 5
Trp = 5
Tras = 15
1T/2T = 2T
Gang = Enabled
Remap = Enabled
Skew = Auto

You have to set your overclocking to manual to access the manual setting of the memory timings.

AI = Manual

Thats Intel only, according to the listed specs, and IMO the Freezer Pro is a crap cooler!

Previously owned one, didn't perform as well as the AMD heatpipe stock cooler, gave it away, waste of money!

You want cool this will do it!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

G

Weird my account got deleted. :S Yeh i wouldnt recommend that zalman one either for AMD though :p. I have tat exact cooler and because of the positioning of the brackets that hold the HS and Fan the draws air off the GPU and pushes it out into the PSU which is not good, mine with that cooler on only runs about on average 1 degree cooler than with the stock and thats on stock volatges/clock speeds etc. @ 4ryan6 tyvm for the info ill give it a blast today n see what happens :p

Yeh i wouldnt recommend that zalman one either for AMD though :p. I have tat exact cooler and because of the positioning of the brackets that hold the HS and Fan the draws air off the GPU and pushes it out into the PSU which is not good, mine with that cooler on only runs about on average 1 degree cooler than with the stock and thats on stock volatges/clock speeds etc.

That Zalman comes with an alternate set of mounting brackets for AMD, its knotched and goes through the heatpipes and allows mounting the Zalman 90 degrees from the socket alignment.

Its even visable in the Newegg picture of mounting hardware, its the clip to the left in the picture.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Ya Zalman looks good

I want to set my rig up asap, and this is the last part I have to get...

I looked everywhere for a zlaman in a store, but cannot :( I do not feel like ordering it because that will take a long time :(

I found a computer store that will take my cooler and replace it with the AMD version (for a fee tho, like $10)

I thought like futureshop and or London drugs would sell Zalman stuff but they dont... I checked out every specialty computer store in my area and NO one has anything from zalman ><

captksmh

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Just a thanks to this forum and all that have posted. I overclocked my first today and with the advice here my 9950 in a M3A78-T is up and stable at 3.0 just by giong into the bios and changing the multiplier from 13 to 15 it was all very simple. Thanks again. captksmh

If you don't mind would you list your full specs so others can compare their hardware, it may help someone else, and you're welcome, thats what this thread is for!

bamb00zle

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
AAh mines the 9500 and doesnt hacve that clip only the larger one, that really sucks :S, still thanks for the advice on the OC'ing. I got the RAM voltages sorted out and now i've got it the CPU @ 3ghz. My specs are listed further up as "anonymous" for some reaosn lol. 33-36 degrees C idle and 40-45 under load, not too shabby :).

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Ok my machine came in, I got it built, and now im having a really bad problem..

If I use more than 1 stick of ram with my 9950 BE it will not boot, go to bios or do anything!!

It worked for 2 days just fine, then on the third day it wouldnt boot!

The only way I could finally get it to boot was to remove all ram sticks but 1

I removed both GPU's, even the hard drive, and I STILL couldnt get it to boot or go to bios with more than 1 stick of ram!

I do not understand wtf is going on.

All the parts are brand new... IT WAS working for 2 days.. I didnt change any settings and this happened...

I have found other people on the internet having this problem as well, with the same story, they built the machine with new parts, a week later it does this.

Please I have tried everything! any bios settings that would do this? Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I NEED my computer for school and right now i got a **** load of final projects and I cannot send back the parts, wait to get them fixed or replaced, then sent back to me... IM WAY TO SWAMPED with projects!

this sucks cuz I went and bought vista 64 so I could use 8 gigs ram, now I can only use 2 gigs....if I want more ram I have to get a 4gig ram chip or something...

It doesnt matter what size the ram chip is, I can only have 1 running at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS