April 26, 2009 6:20:44 AM

MS-7235 (G965 Neo2-FI) P965neo-F V2
Current Ver. 3.80 Online Ver. 3.80
MSI Live Driver (Drivers for Mainboard)
Current Ver. 8.1.1.1010 Online Ver. 8.0.1.1002
Web sight VERSION: 8.3.0.1013
2gb crucial memory Low density 800
Intel E7200 2.53 duo Core
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to start using the SATA port, but all of my drives are IDE, in this model of motherboard they give me 5 SATAs and 1 EIDE port.have purchased an adapter for IDE - SATA.
http://3btech.net/seatatoideco.html Plug it into the 1st SATA port and Nothing shows up in BIOS or in Windows. Could you shed any light on this and suggest something that I could do to get the BIOS or windows to recognize my drive?

things I have done, Changed the cable to a different SATA cable. Made sure the Adapter is plugged in right. Power to the 4pin (Floppy drive plug). Adapter has an LED that goes on and illuminates green. Have moved SATA cable to all 5 possible SATA ports on the MOBO. Went to a friends and plugged it into another computer with out success.

In Device Mangler , under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers it tells me:
Intel ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2825
Intel ICH8 4 Port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2820

so it has Serial ATA sitting there waiting, but nothing seems to be looking for the drive.. Could be a bad converter, but I must prove to myself that I am just not doing something wrong before asking for an RMA..

I have sent 2 letters off to MSI technical support with no answer.

Other thing it could be , I am under powered, I realized that my PSU is a 300W power supply , in the MSI manual it asks for a minimum system requirement of 350W.. And my PSU connector right now is only 20. I plan on getting a new PSU on the first 500w 24+4 so all bases are covered.

Heard an old wives tale that the 4 extra on the mainboard power 20 slot are something for PCIExpress or SATA functions. Perhaps it is now a technicians tale.

Let me know folks, I appreciate it..

Thanks

Corey R Petersen
Crpetersena@hotmail.com
Corey_petersena@yahoo.com
a b G Storage
April 26, 2009 6:53:45 AM

The drive needs to be jumpered to Master, in addition to the power connection for the adaptor you need power connection for the drive (4 pin Molex); if that doesn't work, check the SATA channel is enabled in the BIOS.
April 26, 2009 8:02:27 AM

Make sure that you have it set for IDE and not AHCI.
April 26, 2009 4:26:31 PM

crpetersen said:
MS-7235 (G965 Neo2-FI) P965neo-F V2
Current Ver. 3.80 Online Ver. 3.80
MSI Live Driver (Drivers for Mainboard)
Current Ver. 8.1.1.1010 Online Ver. 8.0.1.1002
Web sight VERSION: 8.3.0.1013
2gb crucial memory Low density 800
Intel E7200 2.53 duo Core
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to start using the SATA port, but all of my drives are IDE, in this model of motherboard they give me 5 SATAs and 1 EIDE port.have purchased an adapter for IDE - SATA.
http://3btech.net/seatatoideco.html Plug it into the 1st SATA port and Nothing shows up in BIOS or in Windows. Could you shed any light on this and suggest something that I could do to get the BIOS or windows to recognize my drive?

things I have done, Changed the cable to a different SATA cable. Made sure the Adapter is plugged in right. Power to the 4pin (Floppy drive plug). Adapter has an LED that goes on and illuminates green. Have moved SATA cable to all 5 possible SATA ports on the MOBO. Went to a friends and plugged it into another computer with out success.

In Device Mangler , under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers it tells me:
Intel ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2825
Intel ICH8 4 Port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2820

so it has Serial ATA sitting there waiting, but nothing seems to be looking for the drive.. Could be a bad converter, but I must prove to myself that I am just not doing something wrong before asking for an RMA..

I have sent 2 letters off to MSI technical support with no answer.

Other thing it could be , I am under powered, I realized that my PSU is a 300W power supply , in the MSI manual it asks for a minimum system requirement of 350W.. And my PSU connector right now is only 20. I plan on getting a new PSU on the first 500w 24+4 so all bases are covered.

Heard an old wives tale that the 4 extra on the mainboard power 20 slot are something for PCIExpress or SATA functions. Perhaps it is now a technicians tale.

Let me know folks, I appreciate it..

Thanks

Corey R Petersen
Crpetersena@hotmail.com
Corey_petersena@yahoo.com

It's a problem with your SATA to Ultra ATA adapter. I have several similar adapters here, some work with some boards while others work with other boards.

Best bet if you want to use your SATA ports is to buy SATA drives.
!