Netbook hangs on booting

G

hi, my Samsung N140 with Windows XP SP3 would not boot in normal or safe mode (in safe mode it hangs after loading some of the files ), probably because it froze during use and I had to force a reboot with the hardswitch, causing some error in the windows files. so I used the inbuilt Samsung recovery that repairs the windows files, and it booted, but then it froze again during use and I forced a reboot again. again it was freezing on booting, and this time the recovery software repaired the files, but windows did not boot. it halts on a black screen.

I can access bios and the initial menus for choosing the boot process. is there any way I can repair the files with an utility on a usb stick?

otherwise i will plug it in an external case and recover my data files.

thanks

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Since its a netbook, it probably does not have a CD/DVD drive. Additionally, you do not have a Windows XP disc (unless samsung gave you one... mine didnt have one). What you might try to do is select the "other" hard drive in your computer to boot from. When you first start up the netbook, try and look for which button will allow you to choose the "Boot" priority. Once in the boot priority, try looking for another "Partition" which Samsung might have placed on the Primary Hard Drive. Booting from this partition may start a windows installer. Run the repair option for XP and see if it fixes anything....

G

thanks, there was no other drive to boot. I dont have an external dvd. I could try to make a bootable XP usb stick, but I read that the repair option wouldnt work with an xp installation created by a 3rd party like samsung. not sure it is true. all the tutorials to make one seem to focus on format and install, so i wouldnt try it as 1st option

G

if you mean loading the default settings, i already tried, thanks. im convinced its an error on the boot files.

G

the standard warranty, but I doubt the help-person on a customer support has the technical expertise to suggest anything but a full reinstall. I think Ill take it as an occasion to install w7 on it : )

TRENDING THREADS