file browsing support on palm pdas

June 19, 2004 5:30:18 AM

Hi all,

i have searched on the net for answers to this issue but to no avail.
thus the post here.

there are palms (e.g. tungsten t) that support extension cards (e.g.
Compact Flash - CF)

If i take 128Mg CF card and format it as FAT32 on my pc (running
win98),

then copy some files from my pc to CF card,

then insert the CF card into palm PDA (or pocket PC running PDA)...

WILL I be able to see all the files at once via some file browsing
program (much like "file explorer" in windows)? For example if CF card
contains various .txt, .mp3, .xxx (whatever the type might be) - will
I be able to see those files just like in a normal file browsing
scenario on a pc? Is the situation different in that regard between
PalmOS and pocket pc based pdas?

kind regards,
Leon.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 2:38:10 PM

Well, kind of:
You need to format in VFAT/ FAT. FAT 32 is not supported. But you are right
you can browse on the PC and on the Palm these files and use them. For
browsing on the Palm u need something like ZLauncher, MegaLauncher or file
commander. There are several specific folder locations for specific file
types if you also want to use them on the Palm. If have posted earlier a
reply with this list(forgotten where). Do a search for "Palm/Programs".
Greetz Kevin
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 7:11:03 PM

leonleon77@hotmail.com (leon) wrote in news:fa8724e7.0406190030.61f59986
@posting.google.com:

> there are palms (e.g. tungsten t) that support extension cards (e.g.
> Compact Flash - CF)

Yes and no. Palms support SD cards, but not CF.

> If i take 128Mg CF card and format it as FAT32 on my pc (running
> win98),
>
> then copy some files from my pc to CF card,
>
> then insert the CF card into palm PDA (or pocket PC running PDA)...
>
> WILL I be able to see all the files at once via some file browsing
> program (much like "file explorer" in windows)?

Yes. Get FileProg (freeware) and you can see all the files, regardless of
whether they're Palm files. For PPC, you need something else, and I have no
idea what.

--
Regards,

Stan
June 19, 2004 7:29:41 PM

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

Roy

leon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i have searched on the net for answers to this issue but to no avail.
> thus the post here.
>
> there are palms (e.g. tungsten t) that support extension cards (e.g.
> Compact Flash - CF)
>
> If i take 128Mg CF card and format it as FAT32 on my pc (running
> win98),
>
> then copy some files from my pc to CF card,
>
> then insert the CF card into palm PDA (or pocket PC running PDA)...
>
> WILL I be able to see all the files at once via some file browsing
> program (much like "file explorer" in windows)? For example if CF card
> contains various .txt, .mp3, .xxx (whatever the type might be) - will
> I be able to see those files just like in a normal file browsing
> scenario on a pc? Is the situation different in that regard between
> PalmOS and pocket pc based pdas?
>
> kind regards,
> Leon.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 3:17:00 AM

"Kevin Nephew" <Kevin.Nephew@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40d3fb72$1@news.uni-rostock.de>...
> Well, kind of:
> You need to format in VFAT/ FAT. FAT 32 is not supported. But you are right
> you can browse on the PC and on the Palm these files and use them.

GREAT - thanks for that, just one more question though...

in a pc realm, when using say notepad, I can choose the "save as"
command which will open a file browsing dialog and allow me to save a
new file to any drive/location I want. Can such be done in notepad
software running on palmos? That is to say what I really want is to
see the files on CF card and then be able to open any say .txt file
with notepad and then also be able to save newly created notes
directly to CF location...

For that matter, is it possible to store entire email database (e.g.
your inbox, etc.) on CF card? this way if my email collection gets
over say 16 meg limit in a palms RAM pda (like tungsten t) then it
will be no probs, since the whole email storage would be actually
located on CF card...

I am basically trying to choose between palm OS based PDA and pocket
pc running devices (those are the only choices in retail stores here
in Brisbane, Australia). So basic things like file opening, reading,
saving, mp3 playing, email checking and web browsing are important and
I would like for them to be very similar to the way things are done on
a normal desktop pc...

Once again - thank you for your help in this matter.
Kind regards,
Leon.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 7:10:55 AM

leon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i have searched on the net for answers to this issue but to no avail.
> thus the post here.
>
> there are palms (e.g. tungsten t) that support extension cards (e.g.
> Compact Flash - CF)

Current Palms support SD cards, but you have the idea.

> If i take 128Mg CF card and format it as FAT32 on my pc (running
> win98),

Won't work. The VFS filesystem implemented on Palms expects to see
FAT16 formatted volumes. Expnasion cards you buy for PDAs will probably
be pre-formatted anyway.

> then copy some files from my pc to CF card,
>
> then insert the CF card into palm PDA (or pocket PC running PDA)...
>
> WILL I be able to see all the files at once via some file browsing
> program (much like "file explorer" in windows)? For example if CF card
> contains various .txt, .mp3, .xxx (whatever the type might be) - will
> I be able to see those files just like in a normal file browsing
> scenario on a pc? Is the situation different in that regard between
> PalmOS and pocket pc based pdas?

I have a Palm Tungsten E with a 256MB SD card. I use an SD card reader
to add and remove files from the SD card. Windows (I use Win2K Pro, but
it works for Win98 as well) sees the card reader as a removeable drive
with the MS-DOS FAT16 file system, and I can use Windows Explorer to
examine the contents. You can browse the files from the Palm using a
third-party PalmOS file manager. There are an assotment of these. The
best known is probably NoSleep Software's FileZ program. This is free
souftware, open source under the GNU Public Liscense. You can get it
from
http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.s...

You'll need to look at the docs for your Palm apps. Different
applications expect to see files in different places on the card. By
default, for example, applications live in /Palm/Launcher. Datafiles
may live elsewhere. PalmReader looks for ebooks in /Palm/Books and
/Palm/Launcher. Plucker looks for converted HTML files in
/Palm/Programs/Plucker. You'll need to find out where your Palm apps
expect to find files if you use a card reader to put thm on the Palm
expansion card.

> kind regards,
> Leon.
______
Dennis
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 6:49:54 PM

leon wrote:
> "Kevin Nephew" <Kevin.Nephew@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40d3fb72$1@news.uni-rostock.de>...
>
>>Well, kind of:
>>You need to format in VFAT/ FAT. FAT 32 is not supported. But you are right
>>you can browse on the PC and on the Palm these files and use them.
>
> GREAT - thanks for that, just one more question though...
>
> in a pc realm, when using say notepad, I can choose the "save as"
> command which will open a file browsing dialog and allow me to save a
> new file to any drive/location I want. Can such be done in notepad
> software running on palmos? That is to say what I really want is to
> see the files on CF card and then be able to open any say .txt file
> with notepad and then also be able to save newly created notes
> directly to CF location...

You can't do that with the built-in Palm software. You need an app which
is VFS aware.

For instance, I use BlueNomad's WordSmith as my Palm word processor.
WordSmith can see files in the /Palm/Programs/WordSmith directory on teh
card. Within WordSmith, those files are in a a category called
Exp_Card, while files in RAM are in a category called Handheld. When I
open a file on the expansion card, WordSmith copies it to RAM for
editing. If I change it, WordSmith writes it back to the card.

There is at least one third party app that can read text files stored on
an expansion card. See Shinhei Hara's VFSi, available from
http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/vfsi.shtml

> For that matter, is it possible to store entire email database (e.g.
> your inbox, etc.) on CF card? this way if my email collection gets
> over say 16 meg limit in a palms RAM pda (like tungsten t) then it
> will be no probs, since the whole email storage would be actually
> located on CF card...

The problem is the way expansion cards are used.

As far as the Palm is concerned, the expansion card is a disk. Before
any program or data on the disk can be accessed, it must be copied into
RAM. VFS aware programs that can store data on an expansion card copy
the data into RAM for processing, and write it back to the card if it
has changed. This is the way any operating system that supports
external storage works. Windows does the same thing.

This means the data must *fit* in available RAM. It also means you will
probably still get bit by the 16MB limit, because the *entire* file gets
copied. Unlike Windows, PalmOS doesn't copy just the requested parts of
the file to RAM. It grabs the whole file. PalmOS is not a virtual
memory system.

> I am basically trying to choose between palm OS based PDA and pocket
> pc running devices (those are the only choices in retail stores here
> in Brisbane, Australia).

They pretty much are the choices. There are others, like the Sharp
Zaurus PDA that runs Linux, but they are hard to find over the counter,

> So basic things like file opening, reading,
> saving, mp3 playing, email checking and web browsing are important and
> I would like for them to be very similar to the way things are done on
> a normal desktop pc...

There's a limit to how similar you can get things.

> Once again - thank you for your help in this matter.
> Kind regards,
> Leon.
______
Dennis
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 8:11:05 PM

> in a pc realm, when using say notepad, I can choose the "save as"
> command which will open a file browsing dialog and allow me to save a
> new file to any drive/location I want. Can such be done in notepad
> software running on palmos? That is to say what I really want is to
> see the files on CF card and then be able to open any say .txt file
> with notepad and then also be able to save newly created notes
> directly to CF location...

Not with the builtin Palm apps, but SiEd is a Palm text editor, freeware,
which will do that. The Palm notepad and memopad apps don't work with .txt
files, they are Palm OS apps. Palm OS and Windows are completely different
operating systems, and they don't recognize each others' files directly.
But there are third-party apps which can do the job, many of them freeware.

> I am basically trying to choose between palm OS based PDA and pocket
> pc running devices (those are the only choices in retail stores here
> in Brisbane, Australia). So basic things like file opening, reading,
> saving, mp3 playing, email checking and web browsing are important and
> I would like for them to be very similar to the way things are done on
> a normal desktop pc...

If you want Windows on a handheld, then you probably want a PPC. However,
don't expect that to be an exact duplicate of your Windows PC. In fact,
Palm devices work better with Office files than do PPCs.

--
Regards,

Stan
!