PESHT 2! I BUILT IT!!! I DID IT!

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey everyone this is THE Photographically Enhanced Self Help Thread (Version 2.0). For those of you unaware of what exactly a PESHT is, here was the first: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=249166&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Well, I spent about 3 hours today, connecting, tidying up, etc etc, and I finished my new build!!! BUT before I go on, I'd like to take this time to thank everyone in here who helped me build this computer - from the research to the actual building stage, you guys have all been amazing.

Check it out!
IMG_4802.jpg

It's an Antec 900 Case,
Gigabyte ds3l Motherboard
Visiontek Radeon 3870 Graphics
C2D e2180 Processor
4Gb Gskill RAM
Antec PSU
Dell 20" Monitor
Barracuda 250gb hdd
Liteon DVD/CD burn

Here's an overall view of the insides:
IMG_4755.jpg

I spent quite some time trying to make the wires look tidy (took lots of zipties)
IMG_4773.jpg

And here is what ended up behind the motherboard tray:
IMG_4765.jpg

Here's a view toward the hdd and the DVDburn
IMG_4775.jpg

And another showing towards the back of the case
IMG_4776.jpg

Near the power/hdd pins:
IMG_4762.jpg

Near the Burner:
IMG_4756.jpg

Dude I'm so excited. Guess what happened next? I plugged it in----and it worked!!
IMG_4794.jpg

Next this came up (I think its called POST)
IMG_4797.jpg

Then it told me I needed a boot disk inserted. Next, I restarted the computer and hit DELETE to bring up the "BIOS SETUP" I think and I saw this:
IMG_4799.jpg

Then, because I was curious, I hit PC HEALTH and saw this interesting info about the fan speed, the CPU Temperature, the VCORE, etc:
IMG_4800.jpg

So That's pretty much everything that happened to me today. However, this is still a PESHT - Meaning I still need help. How in the world do I know what do do next? What are all those things in that POST screen? How, and when do I install the operating system? How do I make sure it will boot from the right place?

Other than that, though: How does it look? Is there anything More I can do to organize the wires, or are they pretty good?

Once again, thank you all - I hope you've enjoyed seeing the fruits of your labors (and mine) but still, you guys have been a great help SO Thanks again

OK, what you saw was the BIOS. That contains all of the Basic Input and Output settings for the motherboard. Your motherboard should have come with a mediocre guide for setting that up. Most of it is already set, but you probably will want to set it to your tastes. But in short, here is what you mast to to install an OS:

1.) Set the computer to boot from CD first (in BIOS).
2.) Insert OS CD
3.) Follow onscreen instructions and enjoy!

I believe if you wait until after the prompt to enter BIOS, the computer will automatically start searching the HD and CD drive for something to boot from.

Good Luck!

Throw in your windows disk and boot the machine. It should boot to the CD since there are no other bootable devices. For now just leave the BIOS alone until you install the OS.

If you are running stock you shouldn't have to touch the BIOS.

pesh

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Excellent rig mate. And as said before, just pop in your windows/linux cd and you should be ready to go. Follow the onscreen instructions and your off. The anticipation will kill you :p

How did I get my name you asked? Well, my first name starts with a P, and my last name is Esh. :D

Good luck :)

But before usually installing OS, I run MemTest86+ (2+ passes) and other software found in UBCD (ie. HDD tools,etc). UBCD is a must have tool for any one.

Link:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

PM me if you run in to problems with OCing.

@Mods: Sticky?

Reaper221

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Congrats on the build. I too love the way you tidied up the cabling. Much better than I can do. No matter what I do mine still looks like 2 squirrels took up residence in my case. Just follow what the experts here tell you and you'll gaming in no time. Congrats again and enjoy. Excellent work.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

There is no such thing as to many programs in one place. I have a flash drive with some on it, but I really like the UBCD. Boot it up and go, one of the best disk I've ever burnt.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey, is there a place you can get the UBCD free?

Big Question that just came Up: Will this Unused Dell xp cd work with my computer?

IMG_4806.jpg

Look - I put it in to try it out, and this screen came up:
IMG_4804.jpg

Followed by this one:
IMG_4805.jpg

I was too afraid to continue because I didn't want to mess my computer up. My question is: does the fact that the install got this far mean that this cd will work with my motherboard's bios (gigabyte ds3l). Or will it just hang at a later point in the install?

First off, I doubt you can mess up your comp by installing XP. I screwed up once, and all I had to do was redo it.

Secondly, I didn't think a Dell CD would work, but that is the standard install menu. Give it a try, I doubt it will hurt anything, though I have no idea if/when the Dell CD would check your MB.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
The only reason I thought it might hurt the computer was because it is meant for a dell, not a regular build - thanks, I'll try it.

Now, do I partition the hard drive before or after installing XP?

^Agreed. You will be able to install the Dell XP but you will not be able to activate it even if you have a valid key, as those keys+CD are Dell specific.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Lol thanks EXT64 - I just found that out, thanks. I'm downloading it from ausgamers now.

Um..as this is my first build, though, I don't really know what to do with it (the ubcd). Which tests should I run, and for how long? Should this be before or after I install the OS?

It should partition the drive during install but before it actually installs anything (if that makes since). The only thing I worry is that XP may install, but then not let you activate. Who knows, I'm guessing here. I've gotten all my XPs for free so I've never tried a Dell CD.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

Where do you get XP for free?

Sorry, first I got it from my uncle who worked there, and now I can get it or Vista from college (which I guess isn't actually free, tuition is outrageous here). Actually, I don't think that I have ever bought an OS before (except for the ones that came preinstalled). I probably shouldn't have mentioned that (since it isn't really helpful).