Sign in with
Your question

PESHT 2! I BUILT IT!!! I DID IT!

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2008 5:43:09 PM

Hey everyone this is THE Photographically Enhanced Self Help Thread (Version 2.0). For those of you unaware of what exactly a PESHT is, here was the first: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Well, I spent about 3 hours today, connecting, tidying up, etc etc, and I finished my new build!!! BUT before I go on, I'd like to take this time to thank everyone in here who helped me build this computer - from the research to the actual building stage, you guys have all been amazing.

Check it out!

It's an Antec 900 Case,
Gigabyte ds3l Motherboard
Visiontek Radeon 3870 Graphics
C2D e2180 Processor
4Gb Gskill RAM
Antec PSU
Dell 20" Monitor
Barracuda 250gb hdd
Liteon DVD/CD burn

Here's an overall view of the insides:

I spent quite some time trying to make the wires look tidy (took lots of zipties)

And here is what ended up behind the motherboard tray:

Here's a view toward the hdd and the DVDburn

And another showing towards the back of the case

Near the power/hdd pins:

Near the Burner:

Dude I'm so excited. Guess what happened next? I plugged it in----and it worked!!

Next this came up (I think its called POST)

Then it told me I needed a boot disk inserted. Next, I restarted the computer and hit DELETE to bring up the "BIOS SETUP" I think and I saw this:

Then, because I was curious, I hit PC HEALTH and saw this interesting info about the fan speed, the CPU Temperature, the VCORE, etc:

So That's pretty much everything that happened to me today. However, this is still a PESHT - Meaning I still need help. How in the world do I know what do do next? What are all those things in that POST screen? How, and when do I install the operating system? How do I make sure it will boot from the right place?

Other than that, though: How does it look? Is there anything More I can do to organize the wires, or are they pretty good?

Once again, thank you all - I hope you've enjoyed seeing the fruits of your labors (and mine) but still, you guys have been a great help SO Thanks again

More about : pesht built

March 14, 2008 6:17:20 PM

OK, what you saw was the BIOS. That contains all of the Basic Input and Output settings for the motherboard. Your motherboard should have come with a mediocre guide for setting that up. Most of it is already set, but you probably will want to set it to your tastes. But in short, here is what you mast to to install an OS:

1.) Set the computer to boot from CD first (in BIOS).
2.) Insert OS CD
3.) Follow onscreen instructions and enjoy!

I believe if you wait until after the prompt to enter BIOS, the computer will automatically start searching the HD and CD drive for something to boot from.

Good Luck!
March 14, 2008 6:18:05 PM

Throw in your windows disk and boot the machine. It should boot to the CD since there are no other bootable devices. For now just leave the BIOS alone until you install the OS.

If you are running stock you shouldn't have to touch the BIOS.
Related resources
March 14, 2008 6:19:13 PM

Oh, and nice setup! All of that cable organizing will really pay off with airflow.
March 14, 2008 6:24:59 PM

Excellent rig mate. And as said before, just pop in your windows/linux cd and you should be ready to go. Follow the onscreen instructions and your off. The anticipation will kill you :p 

How did I get my name you asked? Well, my first name starts with a P, and my last name is Esh. :D 
March 14, 2008 7:18:46 PM

I am never buying a short case again...

nice build BTW. Are those G. Skill sticks I see? :p 
March 14, 2008 7:27:16 PM

Yes they most certainly are G.Skill :D  2x2gb to be exact
March 14, 2008 7:31:55 PM

Nice clean build, good job.
March 14, 2008 7:36:20 PM

Shadow703793 said:
OCing?

Definitely OC'ing. But I've gotta get past the OS installation first :D 
March 14, 2008 8:34:01 PM

Good luck :) 

But before usually installing OS, I run MemTest86+ (2+ passes) and other software found in UBCD (ie. HDD tools,etc). UBCD is a must have tool for any one.

Link:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

PM me if you run in to problems with OCing.

@Mods: Sticky?
March 14, 2008 10:07:39 PM

Congrats on the build. I too love the way you tidied up the cabling. Much better than I can do. No matter what I do mine still looks like 2 squirrels took up residence in my case. Just follow what the experts here tell you and you'll gaming in no time. Congrats again and enjoy. Excellent work.
March 14, 2008 10:29:42 PM

Thanks for the link Shadow. I'd never seen that before and it looks pretty cool. They almost have too many test programs on there though.
March 14, 2008 10:42:21 PM

EXT64 said:
Thanks for the link Shadow. I'd never seen that before and it looks pretty cool. They almost have too many test programs on there though.

There is no such thing as to many programs in one place. I have a flash drive with some on it, but I really like the UBCD. Boot it up and go, one of the best disk I've ever burnt.
March 14, 2008 10:55:43 PM

Hey, is there a place you can get the UBCD free?

Big Question that just came Up: Will this Unused Dell xp cd work with my computer?

Look - I put it in to try it out, and this screen came up:

Followed by this one:

I was too afraid to continue because I didn't want to mess my computer up. My question is: does the fact that the install got this far mean that this cd will work with my motherboard's bios (gigabyte ds3l). Or will it just hang at a later point in the install?
March 14, 2008 10:57:31 PM

Yeah, you should be fine. Just make sure you have a cd key, assuming you do, since you had the cd. :p 
March 14, 2008 10:59:32 PM

First off, I doubt you can mess up your comp by installing XP. I screwed up once, and all I had to do was redo it.

Secondly, I didn't think a Dell CD would work, but that is the standard install menu. Give it a try, I doubt it will hurt anything, though I have no idea if/when the Dell CD would check your MB.
March 14, 2008 11:00:59 PM

The only reason I thought it might hurt the computer was because it is meant for a dell, not a regular build - thanks, I'll try it.

Now, do I partition the hard drive before or after installing XP?
March 14, 2008 11:01:49 PM

EXT64 said:
First off, I doubt you can mess up your comp by installing XP. I screwed up once, and all I had to do was redo it.

Secondly, I didn't think a Dell CD would work, but that is the standard install menu. Give it a try, I doubt it will hurt anything, though I have no idea if/when the Dell CD would check your MB.

^Agreed. You will be able to install the Dell XP but you will not be able to activate it even if you have a valid key, as those keys+CD are Dell specific.
March 14, 2008 11:03:45 PM

Lol thanks EXT64 - I just found that out, thanks. I'm downloading it from ausgamers now.

Um..as this is my first build, though, I don't really know what to do with it (the ubcd). Which tests should I run, and for how long? Should this be before or after I install the OS?
March 14, 2008 11:03:49 PM

It should partition the drive during install but before it actually installs anything (if that makes since). The only thing I worry is that XP may install, but then not let you activate. Who knows, I'm guessing here. I've gotten all my XPs for free so I've never tried a Dell CD.
March 14, 2008 11:05:21 PM

Well, one test I would highly suggest running is a memtest. I'm not super familiar with the rest, but I know memtest is good.
March 14, 2008 11:06:08 PM

EXT64 said:
It should partition the drive during install but before it actually installs anything (if that makes since). The only thing I worry is that XP may install, but then not let you activate. Who knows, I'm guessing here. I've gotten all my XPs for free so I've never tried a Dell CD.

Where do you get XP for free?

March 14, 2008 11:11:28 PM

Sorry, first I got it from my uncle who worked there, and now I can get it or Vista from college (which I guess isn't actually free, tuition is outrageous here). Actually, I don't think that I have ever bought an OS before (except for the ones that came preinstalled). I probably shouldn't have mentioned that (since it isn't really helpful).
March 14, 2008 11:12:56 PM

if you're a student, and can prove it to microsoft, you can download it using the MSDNAA free of charge...
March 14, 2008 11:16:11 PM

No amd, I don't think so...somebody else told me about it. I asked my college about it, and they told me I had to be in a computer networking class to use the MSDNA aliance. Unless you know something else I can do to go above my college's heads....
March 14, 2008 11:52:58 PM

Ok, so the memtest tries to find errors with the ram, right? I just started a memtest86+ 5 minutes ago - when should I stop it? I read on a website that it will run indefinitely.

Also, what other tests should I run, or what other utilities should I use?
March 15, 2008 1:02:33 AM

Well, some people let it run for days, but it really depends on how certain you want to be that your ram is perfect. I'd let it go an hour or two, after it gets way over 100% coverage. If it says no error, it should be fine. As for other tests, I don't know. You might as well just install the OS and have fun. I've never actually tested my system until I installed my OS.

I had to buy my software bundle at college. It was an awesome deal that I think was only available to engineering students. $300 bought XP, Vista, Office, Matlab, LabVIEW, Mathmatica, etc., etc. with free upgrades for the next 3 years.
March 15, 2008 2:09:06 PM

Cool, thanks ext64. I let it run for about 2 and 1/2 hours, and it made it through 3 'passes' with 0 errors. That's good enough for me.

As for the college thing - I emailed the guy in charge of my college IT department, maybe he'll be able to tell me whether or not my college has a software discount program. I sure hope so.
March 15, 2008 2:49:58 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Agreed. You will be able to install the Dell XP but you will not be able to activate it even if you have a valid key, as those keys+CD are Dell specific.

You may actually get it to work right. I bought an OEM copy of XP, and got a Dell branded disc and it works fine. I'd give it a try before you shell out more cash.
March 15, 2008 2:58:57 PM

My old university used to have a deal where they had a corporate liscense, IE you don't have to activate, and you could go to the library and borrow the disc to install and take it back, they did away with it after a while a think, but look into that as well.
March 15, 2008 6:31:20 PM

asgallant said:
You may actually get it to work right. I bought an OEM copy of XP, and got a Dell branded disc and it works fine. I'd give it a try before you shell out more cash.

Ok, can we come to a consensus on the Dell CD? Should I try it or shouldn't I? If I do try it, completely install it, and then the key doesn't work, how do I uninstall it? I would need to unistall it because I've already decided that if I have to buy a new OS, I'm going with vista 64bit. If I don't have to buy it, I'll go with XP (but only if I can get it for free).
March 15, 2008 10:06:21 PM

Sorry, no help to offer here, just my experiences.

The first time I built a computer, I accidentally didn't partition half the hard drive. I also didn't know how to partition the rest of the drive in windows, so I completely reinstalled XP. The point is, it is fairly easy to reinstall Windows if something goes wrong, it just takes a lot of time.

And Wow, I just looked through your pictures again, and that is a really nice case! Hopefully you can get an OS soon, its a shame to put that to waste.
March 16, 2008 4:35:54 AM

This is great! Guess what? I tried the Dell XP Pro cd, and it worked! At least, it installed a perfect version (works perfectly) of XP. I still need to put the license key in, but at least for now I have a 30 day trial to mess around with.

Man - this is way faster than my 5 year old dell!! Windows starts in a flash, for one thing, I can play Counter Strike Source on 1650x 1050 resolution with ALL settings on high, and average 140 fps!!! It's beautiful! I even downloaded the Crysis demo and it plays great on high settings! (a little slow on high with 1650x1050 resolution (still playable tho), but smooth as butter on anything lower).

Ok, so far I love it! I have only one bug I've been able to find so far: the audio doesn't work. At least it doesn't work with anything but the "3D Audio Demo" found in the Realtek HD Audio Manager (the utility that came with my Gigabyte DS3L mobo). When I click on that, I can hear sound perfectly, but when I am doing anything else, I can't hear a thing. My computer is not muted, I don't know what can be the problem. Game sound isn't there, youtube sound isn't there, what gives?
March 16, 2008 6:53:15 AM

Hey I've got an update: I just got done playing the crysis demo on all high settings at 1680x1050 resolution and my graphics card peak temperature was 62 Celsius is this ok or is this too high?
March 16, 2008 9:55:33 AM

thats fine - 90-110 celsius is where Graphics cards start worrying
and if you want a dell OEM copy of windows to work on your computer, just phone them up, and give them the product key several times, pretending you completely confused as to why you've been locked out of you dell after a small hardware change, they'll activate it for you happily then (i'm using my vista upgrade CD from my laptop as my installation CD now...)
March 16, 2008 2:20:04 PM

ajsellaroli said:
This is great! Guess what? I tried the Dell XP Pro cd, and it worked! At least, it installed a perfect version (works perfectly) of XP. I still need to put the license key in, but at least for now I have a 30 day trial to mess around with.

Man - this is way faster than my 5 year old dell!! Windows starts in a flash, for one thing, I can play Counter Strike Source on 1650x 1050 resolution with ALL settings on high, and average 140 fps!!! It's beautiful! I even downloaded the Crysis demo and it plays great on high settings! (a little slow on high with 1650x1050 resolution (still playable tho), but smooth as butter on anything lower).

Ok, so far I love it! I have only one bug I've been able to find so far: the audio doesn't work. At least it doesn't work with anything but the "3D Audio Demo" found in the Realtek HD Audio Manager (the utility that came with my Gigabyte DS3L mobo). When I click on that, I can hear sound perfectly, but when I am doing anything else, I can't hear a thing. My computer is not muted, I don't know what can be the problem. Game sound isn't there, youtube sound isn't there, what gives?

I don't know if it is x64 specific, but I had this same problem and there was a Microsoft update that I needed to apply and then re-install the drivers.
March 16, 2008 2:24:27 PM

Before redoing the drivers, make sure it is outputting the sound to the right place. When I first installed my 2900XT, I believe it tried to output all sound through it. That sounds like it could be your case too, because the sound demo works but nothing else. Glad everything worked out for ya!
March 16, 2008 2:42:54 PM

AMAZINGLY clean cable management, good job.

That is something I vow to always do perfectly from now on, the cables in my first build are a mess, I will always buy a FULL tower on every other computer I make. I hate having no space to work, or worrying if an extra long video card will fit.

You should get a Logitech G15 keyboard with the backlit keys and a G5 laser mouse (or better), you totally won't regret it. Curb stomp that Dell keyboard, you did such a good job building that computer you should treat yourself, the shipping fees you saved on not buying a Dell would cover it :) 
March 16, 2008 4:06:06 PM

ajsellaroli said:

I have only one bug I've been able to find so far: the audio doesn't work. At least it doesn't work with anything but the "3D Audio Demo" found in the Realtek HD Audio Manager (the utility that came with my Gigabyte DS3L mobo). When I click on that, I can hear sound perfectly, but when I am doing anything else, I can't hear a thing. My computer is not muted, I don't know what can be the problem. Game sound isn't there, youtube sound isn't there, what gives?

I had this problem too...you mentioned you have a Radeon 3870. It was something to do with the sound controller on the video card taking precedence over everything else...search online and see if you can find a guide for disabling it. It might be as simple as disabling the 3870 sound driver in the Device Manager and then reinstall your integrated sound driver...it was long enough ago that I dealt with it that I can't remember. Otherwise you'll be forced to have your sound transmitted via HDMI cable to your monitor, then to your speakers/reciever over an optical or coaxial cable.

I don't know if ATi fixed this problem in one of their recent updates...I installed my card back when they were in the 7.x drivers...so maybe install the new catalyst 8.3 and see if that works.
March 16, 2008 11:33:36 PM

^Or get a $20-40 Creative Soundblaster.
March 17, 2008 12:18:09 AM

So how is the OCing?
March 18, 2008 10:41:47 PM

spuddyt said:
thats fine - 90-110 celsius is where Graphics cards start worrying
and if you want a dell OEM copy of windows to work on your computer, just phone them up, and give them the product key several times, pretending you completely confused as to why you've been locked out of you dell after a small hardware change, they'll activate it for you happily then (i'm using my vista upgrade CD from my laptop as my installation CD now...)

You dirty dog lol - great idea though. Ya, the key on the cd case that came with the dell cd isn't working. turns out there aren't supposed to be any letters, but there are in the dell cd.

EXT64 said:
Before redoing the drivers, make sure it is outputting the sound to the right place. When I first installed my 2900XT, I believe it tried to output all sound through it. That sounds like it could be your case too, because the sound demo works but nothing else. Glad everything worked out for ya!

Where do I change where the sound outputs to?

Falken699 said:
AMAZINGLY clean cable management, good job.

That is something I vow to always do perfectly from now on, the cables in my first build are a mess, I will always buy a FULL tower on every other computer I make. I hate having no space to work, or worrying if an extra long video card will fit.

You should get a Logitech G15 keyboard with the backlit keys and a G5 laser mouse (or better), you totally won't regret it. Curb stomp that Dell keyboard, you did such a good job building that computer you should treat yourself, the shipping fees you saved on not buying a Dell would cover it :) 

Thanks alot man, I like the way the cables turned out too. And man - I can't imagine having to organize a smaller tower, this one was hard enough. I definitely want to get the Logitech G5 because I'm using a ball mouse now, and it stinks. I don't know about that keyboard though - maybe in a little while, seems a little expensive for a keyboard. Is it worth it?

mtriples said:
I had this problem too...you mentioned you have a Radeon 3870. It was something to do with the sound controller on the video card taking precedence over everything else...search online and see if you can find a guide for disabling it. It might be as simple as disabling the 3870 sound driver in the Device Manager and then reinstall your integrated sound driver...it was long enough ago that I dealt with it that I can't remember. Otherwise you'll be forced to have your sound transmitted via HDMI cable to your monitor, then to your speakers/reciever over an optical or coaxial cable.

I don't know if ATi fixed this problem in one of their recent updates...I installed my card back when they were in the 7.x drivers...so maybe install the new catalyst 8.3 and see if that works.

I've got an update on this whole sound card thing. For some reason, gaming sound does come through the jacks, but not any other sound. No music played through windows media, no internet sound, nothing. I'll search around for info on google I guess.
Shadow703793 said:
So how is the OCing?

Haven't tried it yet :D . I figure I should wait until I get a better heatsink than the one that came with it. I'll let you know what happens when I try tho :) 
March 18, 2008 11:26:00 PM

I'm sorry, I can't really remember what all I did. I thought I went into control panel to Sound and Audio and changed it to whatever my onboard was. Its been nearly a year, though, and my memory isn't all that great. I hope that you can get it figured out.
March 19, 2008 12:30:39 AM

To change Audio out put:
Go to "Sound manager"
Go to "Audio I/O"
Plug in speakers to green input.
It should give a pop up list. Select the correct one (ie. speakers)

About OCing: You should be able to go to 2.5-2.6Ghz with out problem with stock cooling :) . For your cooling needs I recommend any one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^$31 after MIR
^$50
^$45 (^I like this one)
^$42
!