should i go to vista sp1?

inquisitor03

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
SP1 contains some good updates so its worth doing, although the majority of them you probably already have through Windows Update.

Be very careful before upgrading though. Make an Image of your system first or at least a System Restore Point. I 've had many, many failed SP1 installs on different platforms which leave the OS restarting or BSOD duirng boot.

Only way back is a system restore from booting the OS CD, rebuild or re-image if you have it ! :)

Always backup first !!

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
LOL i have vista, and i have done since its come out, and i have to say, its rubbish! i dont care to much for the glossy mac like interface, and most of the layout i have windows xp style, its also slower than xp, and less stable, so dunno why you would want or need it.

Just my opinion ^^^

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

take what you just said and make everything the oppositem and you have my experience. each to his own.

superfetch FTW

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I find vista to do some things quicker because of superfetch, and I haven't had vista crash on me once (besided Quake 4 locking up, but that happens in XP so it's a game issue not an o/s issue).

Bioshock looks great in Directx 10 too.

G

I actually LOVE the new browsing/searching in Vista. Its SOOO much easier than XP, don't get me wrong XP wasn't hard, but Vista is just nicer and easier.

I still like XP and yes it usually has better frame rates than Vista, but if your system is pretty decent than Vista is also smokin for games.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I like Vista and XP currently having one machine with each OS. They are both great systems. Back to the OP, I have not installed SP1 yet, but most of my friends have with no problems and it has helped resolve a few issues they had. I would vote, yes, install SP1.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
For everyone complaining how "slow" vista is.. GET WITH THE TIMES!!! Vista is desgined to take advantage of NEW hardware with multi-core systems and DX10 cards. If you're still whining that you lose 3 frames per second in Vista compared to XP, get new hardware and get ready for the future. EVERYONE hated XP when it came out and look at you fanboi's now. XP will someday be ancient history and your options will be Vista and Windows 7. When that happens you're going to say "I have windows 7!!! its slow shiny and new and slows down my comp! im staying with vista!!" You'll live and learn.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007

amen....

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Vista SP1 should not cause any problems. The only issues I have confirmed that actually happen as a result of the update are with sound. On certain sound card configurations you may have to reset the speaker configuration, and in the worst case reinstall the sound card driver.

Personally, I had no probs with mine, although I did update the sound card driver as recently as February, so it may just affect older sound card drivers.

Remember people, this poster ALREADY uses Vista. This shouldn't be another XP vs. Vista discussion.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Stable.

Vista 64. Not a single OS failure. Ever.

Can't say that about XP when it came out.

Bug and viral free. I love not having to install antivirus just so I can visit my favorite Russian p_rn sites.

sailer

Splendid
I installed Vista 64 with SP1 on a new build just a few days ago. Not one single problem has cropped up so far. Its definitely different than my XP machine and it will take a bit getting used to, but I like it so far. Ok, there is one problem. Some of the print for the menus is a bit small for me to read easily, but that's more because of age and eye problems than anything else. I'll get the at adjusted during the next few days adn it will no longer be a problem.

You can increase the DPI for fonts to make the text bigger you know. Go to your display properties and the option is in the left-side pane.

Anyway, back on topic, I've installed SP1 on both my Vista machines (32-bit and 64-bit) and it went very smooth and I would highly recommend it. Back off topic, does anyone know why 64-bit SP1 file is ~750MB while the 32-bit SP1 file is ~350MB?

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I would say no it's a complete waste of an hour. The only improvement that you will notice is with large file transfers and that can be applied separately. It's less not more compatibility with games at least in the 64bit.

Feedback from the user community and beta testers is generally negative with regard to SP1 or neutral. The problem is it didn't really do much of anything unless you have one of the issues that were addressed. Most of these issues weren't all that common.

I wont uninstall it but I wouldn't do it again either. The game issues I have had just aren't worth it to me to waste the time going back. The fact is if you're happy now you wont notice any improvement. In fact it will seem much slower because it will re-index all over again. Once completed other than the file copy fix which you may already have the no difference. When benchmarking is used there is a net slow down in performance that is statistical insignificant. Over all there is that much that needed to be fixed in the first place which is good.

hotdogmichigan

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007

Remember when Xp came out? People were saying that too about XP vs 98/ME but technology goes on. I remember my old p4 1.6ghz was soo fast in windows Millenium it would in fact shutdown in 1/4 seconds NO JOKE !! Xp was in the 1-2 minutes range. Games were also too slow for my tastes in xp but it brought dx9.0 to the game which gave something new to the gaming world unseen before.

Vista uses dx10 which is not a big deal now but it's future anyways. Also how come your vista is slow? Mine rocks like a F1. I removed half the services that started at boot, disabled file indexing, and I'm using readyboost with a super fast 8GB memory stick which loads my games much faster than before. Even the boot-up is faster. But you need to have a fast computer though, exactly as 98/ME vs XP did. Vista is also better at handling threads between cpus. Going vista is a must in my case. Some games don't work in vista so those poorly programmed games were tossed in the garbage.

*Edited some typos

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

To warrant saying XP is better than Vista or Vista is better than XP is like saying BMX is better than a Chopper....

Vista has had less issues in its first year than XP - oops

Vista is by no means the prefect OS and in its early stages there are a few issues and they are being delt with...

Most early problems were drivers and Nvidia has been better of late to update them....

XP is guaranteed compatability on all the old games front... Vista has issues with some games even if they run ( BF2142 anyone !!!)

I like Vista, it is better looking and smoother.. I will get better, it will get a SP2... Issues will be fixed which are outstanding, somethings are turned on by default.. I dont like the changes in the networking side. You have to turn it off.. No real games for it yet " Vista Only games " was a failure only one being really Halo 2.. Extra features on FS 10 but the rest has been slight to say the least.

But it is the future, XP stops being shipped next year January I think.

But SP1 has improved perfomance and is stable, i have installed it on many Vista pcs and its worth it...

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

DX10 features in games. Right now, it's not a major thing, since the only DX10 game I'm playing is LOTR Online, which has a DX10 patch, but at least I can say I'm getting my money's worth with Vista and a 3870x2 (well almost, LOTR Online has issues with both Crossfire and SLI).

Can't wait for DX10 native CRPGs to arrive. Also, more dual GPU support in games would be nice.

As per the thread, I had no issues with updating to Vista SP1. I'm even using a PCI RAID card for a couple of legacy IDE drives that has only engineering drivers for Vista, still have no issues (as the card manufacturer's programmers did a good job). Maybe I've just been lucky?

I'd say your problems are with 64 bit Vista, not SP1 in particular. I'd thought of updating, but I mostly play games and have heard horror stories about both 64 bit Windows and games. When game support is good on 64 bit, then I'll go for it, but I suspect that 64 bit won't work out for gamers until "Windows 7" or whatever it's called.

Though I haven't had bad Vista experiences, my wife didn't like it and wanted to go back to XP. Perhaps Vista will be known as "Son of Windows ME" or "Windows ME Too". Let's hope the next OS is good.

Some of the features touted by Microsoft drone executives for their next OS just don't work for me, like touch screen capabilities etc. Sort of reminds me of the article I read years ago where a Microsoft exec claimed that no one wanted to spend much time on the net, that people just wanted to find things fast, like airline schedules, and then get off. He claimed that nobody read or watch video all that much.

Though this was back in the 56k modem days and way before Youtube, I was reading as much on the net as off. The Gutenberg project and other university sites provide a wealth of material, especially for wannabee medievalists and lovers of folklore and fantasy like me. That exec thought that what he wanted to do was what everyone else wanted.

That's the problem of "one size fits all" visions, the kind that Microsoft has been known for since Windows 95. I don't assume everyone's like me. Bill Gates and company assume everyone else is like them.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

From what I can tell, SP1 is better in every way. Also more stable. Never needed to reboot since I installed it.

TRENDING THREADS