Sign in with
Your question

agp x8 in agp slot x4

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2008 2:37:38 PM

The graphic card on my old computer died, so I want to replace it...
I can find only x8 agp cards, but my old motherboard supports only x4 agp speeds...
So can I install some x1650pro that is x8, is it possible, and if it is would I get some performance penalties.?? :whistle: 

More about : agp agp slot

March 24, 2008 2:42:38 PM

It'd not really be hurt going from x8 to x4, since the bandwidth required on the X1650 isnt all that high, due to it being a 128bit bus...

The difference you will notice will be negligible.. so dont worry too much. It'll be an improvement over your old card whichever way you look at it.

Your old card is dead for a start!
March 24, 2008 3:30:42 PM

x1650 or HD 2600Pro are definitely the best ways to keep your system alive and well.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 24, 2008 6:40:57 PM

so I really can put x8 agp card, into x4 agp slot??
Like pcie x16 card into pcie x8 slot(just example)
March 24, 2008 7:21:41 PM

Correct.
March 24, 2008 8:11:53 PM

ok, stupid question, I¸ve searched the forums...
bt thanks anyway...
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 9:07:10 PM

The problem is, you only have a 4x mobo, thats whatll hold back a 8x. The card will only have half the bandwidth that it can use, and itll slow it down, but yes it will work. Being as say the 1600 is a lower end card, and doesnt come close to using the bandwidth at 4x, it wont be that noticeable
March 25, 2008 6:47:00 PM

thanks
March 25, 2008 7:25:27 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
The problem is, you only have a 4x mobo, thats whatll hold back a 8x. The card will only have half the bandwidth that it can use, and itll slow it down, but yes it will work. Being as say the 1600 is a lower end card, and doesnt come close to using the bandwidth at 4x, it wont be that noticeable

Not necessarily. It's not the bus that'll hold it back, but the processor that is inherent to such an antiquated interface. Likewise, I believe you'll notice a somewhat substancial difference with an X1650 card in the system (but not any cards higher, since you'll have heavily depreciating returns, or no return at all for a more powerful GPU).
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2008 10:53:04 PM

Thats true, if the cpu simply doesnt deliver, itll be a true bottleneck. To the OP, what cpu do you have?
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 25, 2008 11:14:22 PM

wolfy87 said:
so I really can put x8 agp card, into x4 agp slot??
Like pcie x16 card into pcie x8 slot(just example)

Yes you can, but you can't put a 16x card into an 8x slot. You can however put an 8x card into a 16x slot.

I wouldn't worry about a CPU bottle neck. Whats the point of buying a 9800pro for $40, or a x1650pro for $50? Just buy whatever card you can afford, and don't worry about the rest of it.
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2008 12:04:07 AM

You got me there, Im going against what Ive always said/believe The single greatest improvement a gamer can make for his rig is a better gpu
March 26, 2008 1:23:51 AM

wolfy87 said:
The graphic card on my old computer died, so I want to replace it...
I can find only x8 agp cards, but my old motherboard supports only x4 agp speeds...
So can I install some x1650pro that is x8, is it possible, and if it is would I get some performance penalties.?? :whistle: 

Good replies so far, and here's mine:

I ran a Sapphire x1650 Pro AGP 8x in an AGP 4x slot (ASUS P4T-E motherboard) and it ran great. So don't worry, it'll be fine.
March 26, 2008 11:48:54 AM

well those are some answers I wanted... :) 
It is my old PC, my dad uses it, so he has some kind of important programs that he uses for his job there...
So I was worried not to screw up anything...
My CPU on it is Duron 950Mhz believe it or not, served well for 7-8 years,
just that I couldn`t find any x4agp card, and I think x1650pro would be enough for media, and some old games my lil bro plays once in a while... ;) 
March 26, 2008 12:21:24 PM

Duron 950mhz, you say. I'd say the X1650Pro should be the absolute maximum GPU you should spend your money on. It'll be pretty well suited and you should get the maximum out of your existing platfrom. Also, what is the power supply inside that system. Even a lowly x1650 could necessitate a PSU upgrade if the power supply is as old as the rest of the computer.

Please include brand, and 12V rail ratings (combined if possible in [W] or [A]), as well as years in use and the other components that comprise the system.
March 26, 2008 9:36:23 PM

oh, i think PSU will not be the prob,
I recently replaced old one with some 400w (cheap) one...
Still my system is very light, one hdd, one DVD, and nothing more...
Even if efficiency of PSU is 60%, it will be enough..I can`t search for watts and amperages now, and it isn`t important I think...

I live in non-technologicaly very developed country, few years ago you simply couldn`t find components you are looking for, or you had been obliged to order them for some enourmous prices...Now things are different so you can find what you want overall..
I`m saying this cause of quality of PSU, and low standard in my country, I couldn`t afford some Corsair or I don`t know...

Although 7-8 years ago, when I bought this first config, I payed it 3000denmarks...LOL!

So the old one card was Riva TNT2 64/model 64 pro, 32mb..
How should I remove the old drivers, and install new one?
March 27, 2008 3:31:03 AM

Awesome, looks like you'll be ready to rock.

Uninstall current video drivers and related programs, shut down, unplug power cord, remove old, insert new, plug in, power on, windows will detect new device, install drivers (perferably from ATi's website), enjoy!
March 27, 2008 7:30:57 AM

Is that all,
clear them, plug new one in, I shouldn`t go to safe mode or smth, just plug the new one in, install drivers from CD or net, and

I have win98 on my old comp, the configuration is with SDRAM, so for those office jobs done on it now, it is enough, I didn`t wanted to suck up all my resources with WinXP system...
So I can`t find Uninstall drivers option?
Is it under Displays/Video adapter(I looked there)? or somewhere in control panel? Like devices?

I`ll look more and prompt you guys for results...
On the other hand I heard about Driver cleaner too...
March 27, 2008 12:32:51 PM

It's been ages since I used W98, but I think it's in the devices.
March 27, 2008 12:49:01 PM

I can't remember either, isn't there a Uninstall Manager in 98?

Also, just out of curiosity, what games do you play? I guess I am curious of what you can get out of the 950 mhz duron. And let us know how the performance increases from what you had (which what was that?).

Good luck!
March 27, 2008 1:42:07 PM

Yup, I`ll search some more, I didn`t have time to reserch control panel...

I said before I don`t play anything, I have C2d config for me,
this is old one for my dad, and lil bro...
He plays ONI, Project IGI, WAR3(not very playable), Colin McRae Rally2, AgeofEmpires and similar...
I want him to learn how it was before, for us gamers, and to learn something about games that defined one decade, or even its genres... :) 

So I asked is that all,
clear them, plug new one in, I shouldn`t go to safe mode or smth, just plug the new one in, install drivers from CD or net, and that`s it?
Can I **** smth up?
It is very important cause of my DAD`s bussines programs, what is the worst scenario I can get?
March 27, 2008 1:54:15 PM

Under normal circumstances, that should be all you need to do. Uninstall the old drivers, turn the PC off, remove the old card, put in the new card, turn it on, install the drivers.
March 28, 2008 10:41:00 AM

yes, i have the "remove device" option..
Thank you guys, I wish if there is some way on this forum to make people know of some members, add point to their reputation or how many "thanks" they got..
anyway thanks basketcase, kyleSTL and the others.. ;) 
!