Sign in with
Your question

evga 780i One beep [Can't tell if it's long or short]

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2008 12:37:33 AM

My friend just setup a computer identical to mine, he did one thing wrong though, he had his power supply's PCI-E hookup in the area that the CPU power connectors go (He didn't notice till recently). When he had it setup like this the PC would not power up at all although the LED lights on the mobo were on. He switched the PCI-E connectors with the CPU connectors and now it will properly power up but gives him one beep, it's hard to tell whether or not it is a long or a short beep, but the manual for the motherboard does not give a key for what the beeps mean. He has 4 sticks of RAM and he tried each one in different configurations, without RAM he got a shorter beep, but with any combination of the RAM he got one long beep, since he tried all 4 sticks on his own it makes me believe his RAM probably isn't DOA. I suspect he may have fried the CPU or MOBO when he had his original setup but I can't be certain because I've never ran into this kind of problem, nor have I heard of what would happen if you put the PCI-E connectors in the 8 pin female CPU power connector. What is most likely the problem?

Parts..
eVGA 780i Mobo
E6850 Core 2 duo
Aftermarket Freezer 7 Pro
4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 DDR2 RAM
7200.11 Seagate HDD 500GB
8800GTS 512MB G92 eVGA
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Edition
April 2, 2008 3:50:25 PM

I've got a new 790i Ultra board I'm trying to build a new plant around. I'm getting one long beep when I turn on the power, but no video signal and the code on the board shows '80'.

If I look in the manual, after 80, it shows, 'reserved'. What the heck that means......, I have no idea!

I could some suggestions as to what might be wrong.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2008 4:16:20 PM

Clear the bios.
April 2, 2008 4:20:50 PM

Double check if you had all the cables (LED/Power/Reset/etc.) from the case plugged into the mobo correctly.
April 2, 2008 4:22:01 PM

I'll try using the reset button on the board, and then maybe the jumper, but shouldn't a brand new board be OK when you first turn it on?
April 2, 2008 4:23:48 PM

If it is a long beep then it is usually the ram. I would start by using one stick at a time and see if one is bad.
April 2, 2008 4:24:58 PM

I checked all the cables. The reset button and the lights on the case alll seem to work. Pushing the power-on button works for turning it on and does shut it down when you hold it in, so they seem to be working. I checked all the cables on the board and the drives and everything there seemed to be working. I even tried a different video card that I know works, and still nothing.
April 2, 2008 4:26:48 PM

I tried all combinations of the two memory sticks in the four slots and it was still the same. I suppose it's possible that both are bad, but for what they charge for DDR3, that would be a crime.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2008 12:58:41 PM

Try removing the power and the battery on the motherboard for 30 seconds.
June 8, 2008 8:34:05 PM

One long beep has meant a memory problem with most MoBo's right back to the days of the 486. I just built a system based on the EVGA 780i board which wouldn't post, gave one long beep and stopped with code C1 showing in the on-board readout.

Taking out the DIMMs ( 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Racer Red ) and reseating them solved the problem for me. If you've tried all available permutations and combinations - did you try just one stick at a time ? - then the conclusion must sadly be that the RAM is bad, or not suitable for the board.

HTH
January 31, 2009 6:44:57 PM

Yeah, I had the same problem with my Evga 780i. C1 long beeps. Crucial ballistix are 2.2 volt. The board usually will boot with a 1.8 volt fine then in bios you can change it to 2.2 volts for your ballistix ram. Just get a crappy 6400 512 1.8 volt ram stick to jumpstart it, when it boots change the bios to 2.2 voltage ram, save, turn off and switch your ram. It will work fine from then on. Hold onto the 512 for when your cmos battery goes out.
!