HELP! I just erased Quicken file with 1 years of data

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

This is awful!

About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.

Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
half of data.

I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.

Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
part) from an emptied recovery bin?
11 answers Last reply
More about help erased quicken file years data
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Gary wrote:
    > This is awful!
    >
    > About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    > decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    > data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >
    > Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    > has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    > half of data.
    >
    > I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    > THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >
    > Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    > part) from an emptied recovery bin?
    Quicken also periodically prompts you to backup your data. Have you been
    doing this? If so search for a file qdata.* and use the restore feature.
    It might not get everything back but it would be a start.

    Always make a backup before making a major change, just in case.
    Of course, it's a little too late for that advice now.

    gls858
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Gary wrote:
    > This is awful!
    >
    > About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    > decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    > data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >
    > Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    > has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    > half of data.
    >
    > I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    > THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >
    > Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    > part) from an emptied recovery bin?

    found a link explaining the restore function
    http://www.quicken.co.uk/faqs/200208-22.html

    gls858

    Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP

    "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is awful!
    >
    > About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    > decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    > data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >
    > Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    > has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    > half of data.
    >
    > I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    > THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >
    > Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    > part) from an emptied recovery bin?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi

    Dependent on whether the data has been overwritten or not, you may be able
    to recover that data with a 3rd party 'undelete' program:

    http://aumha.org/a/recover.php
    http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is awful!
    >
    > About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    > decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    > data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >
    > Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    > has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    > half of data.
    >
    > I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    > THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >
    > Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    > part) from an emptied recovery bin?

    Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
    I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
    GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
    lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
    Quicken automatic backup of sorts.

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP
    >
    >"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> This is awful!
    >>
    >> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    >> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    >> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >>
    >> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    >> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    >> half of data.
    >>
    >> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    >> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >>
    >> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    >> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

    depending on the version.......mine has always asked ..."do you want to

    > Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
    > I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
    > GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
    > lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
    > Quicken automatic backup of sorts.
    >
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP
    >>
    >>"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> This is awful!
    >>>
    >>> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    >>> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    >>> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >>>
    >>> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    >>> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    >>> half of data.
    >>>
    >>> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    >>> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    >>> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

    I guess "Yes!" is the new "Thankyou Dennis" !

    "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
    > I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
    > GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
    > lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
    > Quicken automatic backup of sorts.
    >
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP
    >>
    >>"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> This is awful!
    >>>
    >>> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    >>> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    >>> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >>>
    >>> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    >>> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    >>> half of data.
    >>>
    >>> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    >>> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    >>> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I want to thank the group for all the suggestions that eventually got
    me out of this trouble and saved a huge amount of work. A particular
    thanks to Dennis Marks, whose suggestions were the ones that paid
    off.

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:42 GMT, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >This is awful!
    >
    >About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    >decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    >data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >
    >Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    >has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    >half of data.
    >
    >I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    >THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >
    >Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    >part) from an emptied recovery bin?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Cool !

    >I want to thank the group for all the suggestions that eventually got
    > me out of this trouble and saved a huge amount of work. A particular
    > thanks to Dennis Marks, whose suggestions were the ones that paid
    > off.
    >
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:42 GMT, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>This is awful!
    >>
    >>About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    >>decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    >>data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    >>
    >>Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    >>has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    >>half of data.
    >>
    >>I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    >>THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    >>
    >>Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    >>part) from an emptied recovery bin?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Glad you were able to recover the data, but you really should do a backup
    on removable media (a CD or diskette) every time you use Quicken. If
    don't, and your hard drive dies, you'll lose everything.

    Gary wrote:

    > I want to thank the group for all the suggestions that eventually got
    > me out of this trouble and saved a huge amount of work. A particular
    > thanks to Dennis Marks, whose suggestions were the ones that paid
    > off.
    >
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:42 GMT, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >This is awful!
    > >
    > >About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
    > >decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
    > >data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
    > >
    > >Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
    > >has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
    > >half of data.
    > >
    > >I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
    > >THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
    > >
    > >Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
    > >part) from an emptied recovery bin?

    Exactly the same thing crossed my mind, but I thought it was just one of my
    crochety days.
    Prbably the "!" covers it.
    --

    johnf

    >I guess "Yes!" is the new "Thankyou Dennis" !
    >

    > "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
    >> I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
    >> GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
    >> lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
    >> Quicken automatic backup of sorts.
    >>
    >> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP