HELP! I just erased Quicken file with 1 years of data

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

This is awful!

About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.

Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
half of data.

I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.

Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
part) from an emptied recovery bin?

Gary wrote:
> This is awful!
>
> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>
> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
> half of data.
>
> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>
> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
> part) from an emptied recovery bin?
Quicken also periodically prompts you to backup your data. Have you been
doing this? If so search for a file qdata.* and use the restore feature.
It might not get everything back but it would be a start.

Always make a backup before making a major change, just in case.
Of course, it's a little too late for that advice now.

gls858

Gary wrote:
> This is awful!
>
> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>
> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
> half of data.
>
> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>
> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

found a link explaining the restore function
http://www.quicken.co.uk/faqs/200208-22.html

gls858

Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is awful!
>
> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>
> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
> half of data.
>
> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>
> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

Dependent on whether the data has been overwritten or not, you may be able
to recover that data with a 3rd party 'undelete' program:

http://aumha.org/a/recover.php
http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is awful!
>
> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>
> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
> half of data.
>
> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>
> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
Quicken automatic backup of sorts.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP
>
>"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is awful!
>>
>> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
>> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
>> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>>
>> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
>> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
>> half of data.
>>
>> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
>> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>>
>> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
>> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

Daytona

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

depending on the version.......mine has always asked ..."do you want to

> Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
> I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
> GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
> lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
> Quicken automatic backup of sorts.
>
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP
>>
>>"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This is awful!
>>>
>>> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
>>> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
>>> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>>>
>>> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
>>> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
>>> half of data.
>>>
>>> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
>>> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>>>
>>> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
>>> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

I guess "Yes!" is the new "Thankyou Dennis" !

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes! In BACKUP (which is NOT the directory I use to back up Quicken),
> I found a GARY1.QDT (my regular Quicken file). Also there were
> GARY11, GARY12, GARY13, etc. One of these files was the otherwise
> lost file, and I was able to use it and go from there. This must be a
> Quicken automatic backup of sorts.
>
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0700, "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Look in c:\Program Files\Quicken\BACKUP
>>
>>"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This is awful!
>>>
>>> About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
>>> decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
>>> data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>>>
>>> Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
>>> has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
>>> half of data.
>>>
>>> I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
>>> THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>>>
>>> Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
>>> part) from an emptied recovery bin?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I want to thank the group for all the suggestions that eventually got
me out of this trouble and saved a huge amount of work. A particular
thanks to Dennis Marks, whose suggestions were the ones that paid
off.

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:42 GMT, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This is awful!
>
>About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
>decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
>data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>
>Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
>has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
>half of data.
>
>I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
>THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>
>Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
>part) from an emptied recovery bin?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Cool !

>I want to thank the group for all the suggestions that eventually got
> me out of this trouble and saved a huge amount of work. A particular
> thanks to Dennis Marks, whose suggestions were the ones that paid
> off.
>
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:42 GMT, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is awful!
>>
>>About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
>>decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
>>data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
>>
>>Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
>>has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
>>half of data.
>>
>>I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
>>THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
>>
>>Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
>>part) from an emptied recovery bin?

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Glad you were able to recover the data, but you really should do a backup
on removable media (a CD or diskette) every time you use Quicken. If
don't, and your hard drive dies, you'll lose everything.

Gary wrote:

> I want to thank the group for all the suggestions that eventually got
> me out of this trouble and saved a huge amount of work. A particular
> thanks to Dennis Marks, whose suggestions were the ones that paid
> off.
>
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:42 GMT, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >This is awful!
> >
> >About two weeks ago I tried to install a new version of Quicken; then
> >decided against using it. Although the new version told me the old
> >data I had was still intact (and I believed it!) it is not.
> >
> >Today I tried to use Quicken for the first time since and find it only
> >has data through the end of 2003. That means I've lost a year and a
> >half of data.
> >
> >I tried to get old data from the recovery bin and realized that JUST
> >THIS MORNING I had emptied it in an effort to get more disk space.
> >
> >Is there some utility that will allow me to re-recover data (even in
> >part) from an emptied recovery bin?

johnf

Exactly the same thing crossed my mind, but I thought it was just one of my
crochety days.
Prbably the "!" covers it.
--

johnf