Are my hard drives bad or is my motherboard bad?

G

I've recently built a new socket 1366 computer. I'm using a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R with 2 WD caviar black 500gb hard disks.

Its been just over 20 days, and the hard drives have gone and this through only use only 3 hours per week at maximum.

At first, one hard drive broke, so I contacted the supplier to get a replacement sent out because when the computer was booted, the startup screen and bios displayed the device as a 15gb hard drive with a name as two repitive characters such as :$ etc.

Now this being 3-4 days after that happened, second hard drive has done the same thing.

So I was wondering, has anyone had the same circumstances with either the hard disks or the motherboard?

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I haven't encountered anything like that, but I can suggest you try another hard disk with your motherboard. That will help you narrow down the cause of the problem. If the third hard drive works, it's the drives. Otherwise, your motherboard is probably faulty.

Your may also want to check the cables you've used to connect the hard disk to your computer.