8600gt random freeze

pneu

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Hey guys. I just recently bought a new computer during the christmas break (around December 23rd) and I've been having so much problems with my Foxconn 8600GT OC 256MB(retailed OC).

This is how it goes.

1- I open up one of my favourite games (Counter-Strike: Source)
2- I'm playing for about 20-30 minutes it runs pretty nice and smooth.
3- 20-30 minutes into the game the game freezes, the music sound studders/loops as if you were to keep on replaying one 0.5 second sound, and some models of the map go clear for example if a player is infront of me and this happens, he disappears and i can see across the map.
4- I am forced to manually reboot or alt+tab (and alt+tabbing takes incredibly long).

In some cases I've got the BSOD saying that my nv4_disp.dll or something like that isn't working. When I alt+tab and if it is successful, my Realtek Audio pops up saying I have plugged in a new microphone and line in.

Please guys I am begging for your help, I just don't get it! I don't understand why this is happening to ME. I tried the nVidia forums but it was very unhelpful and most stuff they posted made no sense and I had no clue what they were talking about. I tried some solutions what they said and it didn't.

I even tried updating my 8600GT drivers and downgrading them, still no luck. I updated my audio drivers aswell, no luck.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5K-SE
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Foxconn 8600GT OC 256MB
Kingston DD2-667 (2×1GB)
Realtek Audio HD Onboard Sound
320GB Hard drive
Coolmaster 500W PSU

Please note that I am a newbie with computers so if you can explain what I should do in very simple jargon. I bought this computer from a Chinese place called ucomputers. I brought my computer to them and told them what the problem was and all they did was run 3DMark06 and said that it ran fine and it's a software issue within the game and they can't do anything more so I am hoping that one of you can help me more than they helped me.