Oct 24, 2007
Specs, Asus Crosshair
Athlon 6000x2
4 gigs XMS ram
Vista Ultimate
Sound blaster XFI
Thermaltake toughpower 850 PSU
BFG 8800 GTX oc2

I'm getting around 6300 in Vista and 6800 in XP Pro on a dual boot system. What could be going on with this? I have checked alot of things to no avail. One thing I founf is the fact that I have my video card, soundcard, firewire controller, and Nvidia SATA controller all on IRQ 16. For one, why so many resource hogs on one IRQ, and could this be an issue.

Thanks in advance..

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hard to know where to start since you don't say what you have already tried, but here's where I'd be looking.

Check your driver instalations particularly video, but also sound. I'd also try running 3Dmark after removing cool 'n quiet driver since this is about half what i'd expect to get out of this system. Cool 'n quiet exhibits some odd behaviour under VISTA, but since your score is low in XP as well I think your drivers is what you need to uninstall and reload. Use the latest from nVidia site.

You might also try removing 2.0 gig of RAM, unless your OS is 64 bit, and make sure the two sticks that are left are running in dual memory mode. Check your mainboard manual for correct installation to achieve this. To do this they will need to be the same size and density. This is because a 32 bit OS can only access 4 Gb of RAM and your system is probably only displaying 2.5 Gb (check under system properties) as the other 1.5Gb has already been mapped for your other hardware and only 2.5Gb will be left for memory address space for the available RAM and may be remapping constantly and on the fly rather than using a swap file, and not operating in Dual Channel mode, which could be causing the performance hit.

If your OS is 64 bit, you will need to look at driver support from the manufacturers of all your hardware compnents from Mainboard, sound, video and IEEE/USB etc as the entire system could be running generic VISTA drivers and that definitely will explain the performance hit.

IRQ sharing to the level you outlined is perfectly normal under todays OSes unless hardware items are flagged, I'd be ok with this as my system, similar config to yours, has several of these items on IRQ 16 and no penalty hit.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
thats pretty weak for a GTX. I tend to get higher rankings in Vista than in Xp:S

I mean I'm getting around 13840 I am running Sli...but that doesn't mean my card is doubled:S so I'll assume I get with the 9600 GT and I know it aint as quick as the GTX (I think!)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
how are you doing 12000 witht he GTS 320 none SLI:S???

I have 2 9600 GTs lol 1 of them is almost 8800 GT equal. How is your score soo high lol:|!

G

well... thats pretty bad... i'd try... idk thats intensely bad...

well I get 12000 in 3dmark 06 with a single 8800 GTS 640... 2 gigs of ram and a core 2 duo at 3 ghz.... not that crazy. Its funny though when a gtx on a system etsl ike 11500 though... cause I know my single gts pwns it =P

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Ok, I have cleaned and reinstalled the drivers, I moved my soundcard and disabled the silicon image SATA controller, so down to noly 2 items on IRQ 16 now. Ran with half the memory, tried a bunch of different configurations with my psu cables. I tried clocking my cpu up and down, and the scaling seems right, so I'm pretty sure it is all in the video side of things. All my tweaking and I managed to get the score up to 6450. Is my card crap? What could be wrong in a video card's hardware that would steal performance and still run fine.?

G

pesh's pic has a Q6600 for gods sake, that's how its such a high score. i get 7200 in 3dmark06 on vista with my 8800GTX clocked to a little over the 8800 Ultra specs. thats prob cos of my outdated pentium D 820 that i can only clock from 2.8 to 3.5Ghz with air cooling alone. weakest link by far.
before i overclocked them both i only got 6500 in 3dmark06!
my cpu is maxed out on one of the cores through all the 3d portions of the benchmark. and practically stops during the cpu tests. .4 and .7 fps but the Q6600 gets 1.6 and 2.3 BETWEEN 3 and 4 Times faster !!!! :( i need an upgrade.
the athlon x2 6000 gets 1223 in cpu mark the Q6600 gets over TWICE that at 2707. i think that might be your answer.
Owning an Asus Crosshair im sure youve done this already but...
i recommend taking the clocks of your GTX up to at least that of the ULTRA, they are the same card just the ultra has a better cooler. as long as your case airflow is good it will be fine. maybe use RivaTuner to bump the fan speed up a little too.
and use that nice Asus Crosshair to bump your althlon above 3Ghz, its only fair on your PSU, it must be piratically sleeping at the moment. :??: poor little thing.