thermaltake ruby orb all aluminum heatsink and e8400 overclock

igotbananas

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Hmmm, got an all alluminum cooler... but wants to OC.

Bought the Ruby Orb II instead of the Blue Orb cuz I like the color better. Now I see that the blue orb has a copper plate the Ruby is all aluminum.

Will this have any probs overclocking a E8400 ?

I'm looking for marginally OC to about 3.4-3.6GHz, not the 4.0+ stuff.

Any ideas?

Thx-

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
you will probably make 3.4GHz fine, depends on what your temps are. you will also need a program like orthos or prime95 to test and make sure what ever you overclock to will be stable.

anartik

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
You have the cooler... the best you can do is install it (or return it), run something like prime 95 and monitor your temps with realtemp. Thats worse case temps but you will want to keep an eye on everyday temps to get good picture. BTW the blue orb has a solid copper core. Looks/feels like they installed a solid copper rod (in the box it weighs over 3 pounds). I have never been a big fan of thermaltake but I have sold the Blue Orb as a low cost, acceptable performance solution. 9*400 should be a freebie... anything else you may have temp issues depending on how good your case cooling is and room temp. Mine at 4.3 with a high end cooler runs 45-52C idle depending on room temp and can get into the 90C's running prime95.

igotbananas

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
can't return it since i got the thermal paste all over the tip already. I like the fact that it's lighter than the blue orb so it doesnt feel like the mobo is about to snap, but it doesnt seem to cool as great as the blue orb does.

i have cooler master case with the nvidia logos (just for the looks)... it has a under mobo fan, so i'm about to install one underneath but overall the case provides excellent airflow.

i can't get my system to run at 3.8 stable, its probably due to the fact i installed my dual channel pc2-8500 sticks in asus "black" banks instead of yellow ones. with p5b se and the orb i cant install dominator sticks in yellow banks due to their tall spikes so they went in the black banks.

now its running at 3.6 ghz stable and pretty cool.

i think i'll stick with 3.6, i got a nice gfx card with ddr3 so its getting its job done.

what cpu/nb/sb voltages do you have to run at 4.3 ?

Priv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Lol what? You'll be burning your cpu sooner or later with those temps.

Regarding the topic, if the temparatures are under 70C load and the voltage does not exceed 1.4v you should most likely be fine.