Sign in with
Your question

Gah, some many choices for a 8800gt with a little oc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2008 12:54:24 AM

Help guys, I am unsure if I am killing myself for nothing... Later this week I plan on ordering 2 new 8800 Gt's for a new rig I am building. I am trying to the cost for both as close to 400 as possible but want to make sure I am getting the most bang for the buck.

I have used XFX in the past and love the company and their cards, so much so that I bought their Mobo for this rig. But now that I am ordering the cards, I am wondering if I should go with whoever has the fastest core clock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I never heard of this brand, but the card looks amazing, and the 55 people who have rated all have great things to say. 700 core clock and looks to have some decent cooling.

This would be my choice if I stay with xfx, but it only 670 and seems to be a little warmer.

There are others that are choices on there as well, but am I worried to much about the core clock speed? Or all 8800's created equal?

Thanks in advance!

More about : gah choices 8800gt

March 25, 2008 11:39:49 AM

Anyone please help =/
March 25, 2008 12:09:04 PM

xfx.go for it.
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 25, 2008 12:32:48 PM

The 8800GT and GTS don't get HUGE gains from the OC anyways. I'd go for the XFX because I know they are a good company.

I am a XFX fan, BUT to be honest if I was to get a 8800GT right now I would grab the MSI card with the MUCH MUCH better cooler. Everyone seems to love this card:

Also, overclocking these cards is so much of a breeze it isn't funny. I'd get a stock clocked card just to save a few bucks because overclocking them is retardedly easy.
March 25, 2008 1:13:29 PM

wow thanks for the great reply guys!
March 25, 2008 1:56:29 PM

Yeah, the MSI card mentioned above is amazing, and cheap too. In an Antec 900 with a side fan blowing directly on it, I've never seen it get past 50C. Definitely recommended.
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 25, 2008 2:24:06 PM

othellomcbane said:
Yeah, the MSI card mentioned above is amazing, and cheap too. In an Antec 900 with a side fan blowing directly on it, I've never seen it get past 50C. Definitely recommended.

The only think I would not like about that cooler over the GTS cooler is that it doesnt blow the hot air outside of the case. It may a small amount as it has a 2nd slot vent and the fan is in the middle. Just make sure you have good case flow. I used to have an x1900xtx with Thermalright HR-03 cooler, kept that thing 20C cooler than stock. However when I replaced it with my GTS that blows the air out the back, my mobo temp dropped 5C instantly at idle. I was perfectly fine with good case air flow. ANYTHING is better than the stock GT cooler.

BTW: LBC has good food... That ones to the OP.
!